Youk movement

Gainzo

Interesting move by the Sox. I didn't realize that the names on the fans ballot don't have to be the same as the players ballot.

June 13, 2007

Youk movement

By Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff

The Red Sox want to give Kevin Youkilis a chance to make the All-Star team.

Having been left off the fans' ballot in favor of David Ortiz at first base (with the game in an NL park, there is no DH category), the Red Sox reportedly asked Major League Baseball to substitute Youkilis for Ortiz on the ballot distributed to players, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.

This change would help Youkilis's chances to make the All-Star team as a reserve, since the 45 pitchers and reserves are determined by a combination of the player balloting and a decision by the two All-Star team managers -- Tony La Russa of the Cardinals and Jimmy Leyland of the Tigers -- and MLB.

Youkilis is currently batting .335 with eight homers and 33 RBIs.

Olney writes:

There are just 15 full days remaining in the fan balloting. In the most recent ballot results announced by MLB, Ortiz is by far the leading vote-getter among AL first basemen, with 1,055,260 votes, more than double the second-leading vote-getter, Minnesota's Justin Morneau.

Because it appears that Ortiz will be the starting first baseman for the AL, based on the fans' voting, the team asked Ortiz if he would be OK with it if Youkilis could be listed on the ballot sent to players.

"He was all for it," said one Major League Baseball source, "and excited about Youkilis' chances."

Major League Baseball does not require that the same players who are listed on the fans' ballot appear on the ballots given to players.

Fan voting for the 78th All-Star game ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on June 28. Rosters will be unveiled at 7 p.m. ET on July 1.

Fans will also have the chance to choose the final position player for each league's 32-man roster at MLB.com. The "Final Vote" will allow fans the ability to cast votes from a list of five players from each league over a three-day period.

For the fifth straight year, the league that wins the All-Star game will earn home-field advantage for the World Series. The American League has won the last nine games.

(2:49 p.m.: Information from MLB.com was used in this update)

Source: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/06/youk_movement.html

I hate the rule that each team must have a representative. I mean the Royals suck for a reason. :)

That's my biggest beef as well but it also goes along with the fans having the say in who starts.

Manny should not be in the All-Star game this year based on his performance but he is going to start. It's a freaking joke.

Let the players pick the starters (including the starting pitcher), the Manager pick the rest of the pitchers, and then fans can pick everyone else.

Also get rid of the "every team needs an All-Star" crap. If it truly is an All-Star game then why should some sub-par player make it because he plays for a crappy team?

That's my biggest beef as well but it also goes along with the fans having the say in who starts.

Manny should not be in the All-Star game this year based on his performance but he is going to start. It's a freaking joke.

Let the players pick the starters (including the starting pitcher), the Manager pick the rest of the pitchers, and then fans can pick everyone else.

Also get rid of the "every team needs an All-Star" crap. If it truly is an All-Star game then why should some sub-par player make it because he plays for a crappy team?

I think it might have been Bob that suggested it before, but they should expand the rosters to 40.

Give every team their one slot, but give the managers some flexibility by naming the final roster. For instance, guys like Manny would by AS but not-active.

I think it might have been Bob that suggested it before, but they should expand the rosters to 40.

Give every team their one slot, but give the managers some flexibility by naming the final roster. For instance, guys like Manny would by AS but not-active.

What about the fans? They are the ones screwing the system up.

Does anyone here vote for the All-Star game? I certainly don't.

I just did yesterday. :P I mean the system is screwy but it's just an All-Star game so I don't really get too mad about it.

Baseball just can't get it right.

If the fans are allowed to vote in the starters, AND each team MUST have a representative, there is no way the All-Star Game should count as anything more than an exhibition game.

If the game is to count, there should be no minimum per team. That's like giving a trophy to every kid in a race, even the one that finishes last. If it's a competition of any kind that COUNTS for something, these policies cannot be in place.

If baseball still wants the game to count for something, the coaches and players should have the primary say on who gets in and who doesn't, with the fans getting a small fraction of the vote. Otherwise, players that give their respective leagues the best chance to win get left out.

If I goto a game I do.

Yeah, but it is not like the managers get it right either. Managers favor their guys over others.

Maybe splitting it up among the players and fans like the NFL would be better. Plus, tweaking the everyone gets a player.

Great points 80 on it counting.

Archived