Top 8 Free Agents

Gang Green Girl

Scott Niedermayer, Paul Kariya, Chris Pronger, Ziggy Palffy, Glenn Murray, Sergei Gonchar, Jason Allison and Pavol Demitra.

If hockey were to ever be played again, anyone on this list you'd want? Kariya's has done nothing since he left Anaheim. I miss Palffy from his days with the Isles. Gonchar is a good offensive defenseman and amazing on the power plays, but was let go by the Caps because he wanted out and they had to cut their payroll, anyway. I always like Murray with Thorton at center. Seems like Pronger has been around for awhile. Isn't he getting old? Allison is injury prone--I wouldn't want him. Niedermayer is another offensive defenseman who is a fast skater, but seems to have lost something along the way.

If you are looking for an offensive minded defensemen Gonchar is good on the power play.

Pronger is on the downside of his career. Paliffy has done well with the Kings - good offensive player.

Since the NHL needs to open up the game these type of players should be more in demand

Honestly, I think it would depend on what kind of salary structure is in place.

Those are all great players, especially Gonchar and Pronger on defense, but as an Isles fan, they've already got 4 fairly high paid defensemen (although I hear Jonnson is not coming back to the US to play, and Hamrlik is technically a FA). And then there's the Yashin money on the books :(

Its a wishy-washy answer, but Id take any of them depending on price-tag. Its going to be really interesting to see how things shake out - I'd almost rather be able to roll 3 forward lines of solid players than pay a couple of the guys on that list big money.

I've always liked Palffy. If the NHL does open up like Faba mentioned, then a guy like him is valuable. Kariya and Murray are guys I'd sign if I had a top center looking for someone to ride shotgun (perhaps the Isles?). Allison's been hurt too much to want to take a flier on him.

Archived