Jets salaries per USA Today! Happy 4th

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

according to usatoday.com (total salaries)

QB: Pennington 3 million (28th among QBs)

RB: Jones 2.3 million (26th among RBs)

WR: Coles 6 million (17th among WRs)

WR: McCareins 2.2 million (56th among WRs)

TE: Baker 2 million (17th among TEs)

LT: Ferguson 2.2 million

LG: Kendall 5.2 million

C: Mangold 1.8 million

RG: Moore 1.6 million

RT: Clement 750k

LE: Ellis 4.2 million (29th among DEs)

DT: Robertson 6.6 million (6th among DTs)

RE: Thomas 8.6 million incl contract extension (9th among DEs)

RE: Oelhoffen 4.2 million (31st among DEs)

OLB: Barton 2.5 million (49th among LBs)

MLB: Vilma 670k (133rd among LBs)

OLB: Hobson 500k (167th among LBs)

CB: Dyson 3.8 million (22nd among CBs)

CB: Barrett 3.1 million (26th among CBs)

S: Rhodes 350k

S: Coleman 430k

re-sign vilma and rhodes. get rid of oelhoffen and kendall

These #'s are wrong. And they were allegedly the 2006 #'s not this upcoming year's #'s. But even still, according to USA today, D'Brick didn't receive a signing bonus (which is incorrect...and absurd) and Pennington didn't receive any incentive bonus money (which is incorrect).

They're really not accurate in terms of who is the highest-paid unless you're looking at an out-of-context snippet of time.

Chris Baker was not the 17th best-paid TE in the NFL. It just coincided that his low SB ($1.0M) was paid last year to go along with his low ($0.8M) salary. Other players are paid better, but perhaps didn't get their signing bonus at the same time as Baker. To say that only 16 TE's are better compensated is not really accurate. Baker is likely not even in the top-40 in TE salaries. He barely makes the league minimum ($850K salary in 2007).

McCareins' salary in 2007 is virtually the same as Coles ($2.915M vs $3.0M).

If the Jets re-signed Vilma right now, they're imbeciles. He's got two dirt-cheap years left on his rookie contract & they can always franchise him after that. He's more suited to playing SS than ILB in the 3-4, and looked like a very ordinary player in his first year in the new scheme. He doesn't come across as someone who is a slow learner, so it's more likely his physical size limitations that held him back. It would be absurdly foolish to give him a $15M+ signing bonus (and beefier annual salaries) at this time when they can have him for the next 2 years at under $2M combined (& in 2009 for another $8M or so as a franchise player if they so desired). Most likely they either trade him after this season or just let him play out his rookie deal & just let him go in FA.

Rhodes I would like to see extended. He just looks like he's not only the real deal, but also that he's the real deal in the defense that this team uses. My guess is they're leaving some cap room to extend him during the season like Thomas last year.

Extending guys with two years left doesn't buy you what you think you're getting. First off, the next two years you still have the same player you already had, but are paying him 10x as much money (maybe more). But then you get him for another 3 years beyond that (most likely). But usually you'll re-extend that player at the end of year 4 anyway. So you're really only buying 2 more years but paying the player 4 years' money to get it.

great post sperm. money aside games are won & lost in the trenches & we have concerns in both trenches. I don't see how vilma's gonna shine unless d'rob has a stellar year which he's not shown us yet

It's not D-rob that will make vilma play better. Its the right end spot. we are getting good production from 2 d line spots. Figure out who plays RDE, and vilma will do much better.

Sperm as always good info..but how many years are left on Rhodes deal 2? the same as Vilma? As much as I think KR should be extended the Jets will have a challenge with Vilma, who other than Chad, has been the face of their franchise. He is the leader on the defense and based on his high profile could make things very difficult for the front office.

These #'s are wrong. And they were allegedly the 2006 #'s not this upcoming year's #'s. But even still, according to USA today, D'Brick didn't receive a signing bonus (which is incorrect...and absurd) and Pennington didn't receive any incentive bonus money (which is incorrect).

They're really not accurate in terms of who is the highest-paid unless you're looking at an out-of-context snippet of time.

Chris Baker was not the 17th best-paid TE in the NFL. It just coincided that his low SB ($1.0M) was paid last year to go along with his low ($0.8M) salary. Other players are paid better, but perhaps didn't get their signing bonus at the same time as Baker. To say that only 16 TE's are better compensated is not really accurate. Baker is likely not even in the top-40 in TE salaries. He barely makes the league minimum ($850K salary in 2007).

McCareins' salary in 2007 is virtually the same as Coles ($2.915M vs $3.0M).

If the Jets re-signed Vilma right now, they're imbeciles. He's got two dirt-cheap years left on his rookie contract & they can always franchise him after that. He's more suited to playing SS than ILB in the 3-4, and looked like a very ordinary player in his first year in the new scheme. He doesn't come across as someone who is a slow learner, so it's more likely his physical size limitations that held him back. It would be absurdly foolish to give him a $15M+ signing bonus (and beefier annual salaries) at this time when they can have him for the next 2 years at under $2M combined (& in 2009 for another $8M or so as a franchise player if they so desired). Most likely they either trade him after this season or just let him play out his rookie deal & just let him go in FA.

Rhodes I would like to see extended. He just looks like he's not only the real deal, but also that he's the real deal in the defense that this team uses. My guess is they're leaving some cap room to extend him during the season like Thomas last year.

Extending guys with two years left doesn't buy you what you think you're getting. First off, the next two years you still have the same player you already had, but are paying him 10x as much money (maybe more). But then you get him for another 3 years beyond that (most likely). But usually you'll re-extend that player at the end of year 4 anyway. So you're really only buying 2 more years but paying the player 4 years' money to get it.

POTW

Living so far away from the Jets, where bugger all really happens

in an offseason that seems to neverend, I sit here with my before

bed cup of tea and some lovely flapjacks and this is just the sort

of stuff I like to read upon my daily visits.

Awesome:)

nice post edwards, but i'd go a little easier on Vilma and see what he brings this year.

Vilma certainly shows that he wants to succeed in this 34 system which is a plus because hey he could of just told coach the system is not for him and push to be traded. he wouldn't be the first one.

Vilma also has a good relationship with rhodes (not to mention the rest of the defense) which is good for the chemistry and progress of the scheme.

The otherside is the fact that the jets aren't in any hurry to trade him which supports the idea that they have confidence that he can still succeed at the position.

Vilma is certainly smart but a lot of the switch to ILB in a 34 is physically changing the method of play. something that requires more time.

i'd wait to judge him on just one season of play.

nice post edwards, but i'd go a little easier on Vilma and see what he brings this year.

Vilma certainly shows that he wants to succeed in this 34 system which is a plus because hey he could of just told coach the system is not for him and push to be traded. he wouldn't be the first one.

Vilma also has a good relationship with rhodes (not to mention the rest of the defense) which is good for the chemistry and progress of the scheme.

The otherside is the fact that the jets aren't in any hurry to trade him which supports the idea that they have confidence that he can still succeed at the position.

Vilma is certainly smart but a lot of the switch to ILB in a 34 is physically changing the method of play. something that requires more time.

i'd wait to judge him on just one season of play.

It is my desire that Vilma suddenly becomes a dominant 3-4 ILB. I just doubt it will happen. Even in the 4-3 he made most of his tackles after the first-down marker (or after the RB had already gone 5 yards). He's clearly a very talented player, but his strength is good instincts with the speed to go sideline-to-sideline as the play dictates. In this defense that ability is greatly diminished. Sadly we got better run-stopping production out of players who don't have anywhere near his talent or brains.

It doesn't make him a bad player. But it means on this defense he's not worth the mega-contract he'd command in free agency. A truly dominant player makes everyone around him better; he doesn't need excuses for those other players not making him great. As such, I think it would be nutty to bypass the cheap dollars we have him locked up for over the upcoming two seasons unless he suddenly becomes something he hasn't been: a run-stopping 3-4 ILB.

Rhodes is more palatable to lock up long-term for two reasons: (1) he clearly fits this defense; (2) it doesn't cost nearly as much to lock up a safety as it does a linebacker.

The Jets had already been rumored to have been shopping him in the off-season. There were no such rumors about Rhodes, Ellis, Cotchery, Coles, Pennington, Baker, DRob, etc. We heard about Vilma, McCareins, and Kendall; that's it. The fact that a trade was never done doesn't mean they had no interest in completing one. After all, McCareins & Kendall weren't traded either.

I accept that the change in defensive scheme had an impact on him from the neck-up. But Vilma's a bright kid. I find it difficult to believe that he would have a harder time getting used to the mental part of the 3-4 than Bryan Thomas, Eric Barton, and Victor Hobson; all of whom performed better than Vilma last year.

Doesn't mean dump his ass immediately to the first offer. He makes like $1M/yr this year & next year. Unlikely we can find an experienced starter at his level for less money. So under his current deal he's good value even if he's not a superstar. But it doesn't mean you lock him up with a giant superstar contract, b/c then it's no longer good value for what he brings to a 3-4 defense.

Archived