How important is it to love what you do?

you both have a decent point. if you don't spend your money like an arse 30k a year can be a lot of money, and 30k is not hard to come by (probably even easier out east).

The only way that $30k can be a lot of money is if you live with your parents. I couldn't comprehend how someone could live on that amount these days

The only way that $30k can be a lot of money is if you live with your parents. I couldn't comprehend how someone could live on that amount these days

i own my duplex, renters pay the mort and half the insurance. its plenty of money, i can save about 15k a year for the next house. A lot of it has to do with me being in Wisconsin and able to find house for cheap (150k still exists out here :)).

IMO, 30k is more than enough for me.

There is no guarantee that you will make a boatload of dough no matter what you do so that is not a very sound strategy. Even in fields where the pay can be lucrative, there is only a select few that make the very big bucks. With the monthly "nut" looming on the horizon, it is not easy for people just to change to a lower paying job because they tink they will enjoy it more. It can happen, but I think the house needs to paid off, the kids need to have left the nest etc. otherwise you are taking a chance on not meeting your necessary obligations.

There is no guarantee that you will NOT make a boatload of money either. Take the risk now - With great risk comes great reward. Sacrifice for the potential big payout while you're young. If it doesn't work out, are you any less secure than if you'd taken that low-paying dream job in the first place? You may say you wasted years of your life trying to strike it rich at a job you didn't love. I say you gained valuable career and life experience. Different perception.

I think it's a very sound strategy. We'll just agree to disagree.

There is no guarantee that you will NOT make a boatload of money either. Take the risk now - With great risk comes great reward. Sacrifice for the potential big payout while you're young. If it doesn't work out, are you any less secure than if you'd taken that low-paying dream job in the first place? You may say you wasted years of your life trying to strike it rich at a job you didn't love. I say you gained valuable career and life experience. Different perception.

I think it's a very sound strategy. We'll just agree to disagree.

didn't peter parker's uncle say that? I always liked him...shot in the back...very sad...

:character0050:

DHJF I think you and I are on the same page in our thinking...that is exactly what I always thought I wanted to do. I wanted to work on the street until I was in my like mid 30s' bust my ass off and then hopefully have made enough to do what I wanted the rest of my life. However, I feel that is a trap many people end up falling into and before you know it youre 50 years old and lived a life you didnt want to lead at first (for better or worse)...I don't know...kind of daunting stuff considering I was graduating high school 3 years ago. Now I feel like the decisions I make now will have implications for the next 50 years and will effect the lives of my eventual wife and children...probably my eventual mistresses too....

DHJF I think you and I are on the same page in our thinking...that is exactly what I always thought I wanted to do. I wanted to work on the street until I was in my like mid 30s' bust my ass off and then hopefully have made enough to do what I wanted the rest of my life. However, I feel that is a trap many people end up falling into and before you know it youre 50 years old and lived a life you didnt want to lead at first (for better or worse)...I don't know...kind of daunting stuff considering I was graduating high school 3 years ago. Now I feel like the decisions I make now will have implications for the next 50 years and will effect the lives of my eventual wife and children...probably my eventual mistresses too....

You're only stuck if you allow yourself to be stuck.

This struck a nerve with me a bit, and here's why: I disagree with most people here.

I look at it like this; why not take the high-reward position when you're young, then move on to something that you love after you've made your coin?

Case in point: I held my son's 6th birthday party in my backyard last month. I rented one of those blow-up-castle-moon-bouncers from a company a few block away from my house. The morning of the party, the owner shows up by himself to set up the bouncer. We started talking, and wouldn't you know it, he was a Streeter in his 20's, made a fortune, then left his job and moved out to Eastern LI and started a party supply rental company. Now he lives in beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood, he's his own boss, makes his own hours, sets his own rates, coaches his son's Little League team and his daughter's soccer team, and has the time and financial security to do whatever the hell he wants whenever he wants to -- at age 35.

Joebaby is another example. He said he made his coin in his younger days (20's?), now he's doing what he loves. Why? Because now he can.

No, money isn't everything. But when you have it, it helps you get to what you really want to do comfortably.

He already said he doesn't absolutely detest the job, just that he doesn't like it enough to want to do it for the rest of his life. So suck it up, work your ass off at it now, make a boat load of dough, then get out and do what you really want to do.

Well, as for me, i didn't really "make my coin." I made enough at 20-25 to live in a great apartment in nyc, and blow a few bucks doing the nightlife thing and travelling to some cool places. I saved enough in my retirement and savings accounts to cash in my chips and take a gamble on something new, but really not as much as I really need, and now i bust my hump 9-5 in a job i like while spending 6-1am working on my new project.

As for making your money first then enjoying what you do, how many guys in Ibanking or wall street in general do you see leaving at their mid thirties (or even forties) with a fat bank account to do what they like? Wall street, kinda like any fast competitive career kind of sucks you in. Besides, it is a lot harder to start over with a new career at 35, without even considering the responsibility of a family.

ColombiaJet, I am in the same boat as you. I just graduated from college in the spring and now have been looking for a job. I want a career in International Affairs (more specifically, as a Foreign Service Officer), but I also got a job offer from Aflac, where I interned last summer as a Public Relations intern (I was a double major). It's decent work and it pays well for an entry level position, but its nowhere near what I want to do. I hated Columbus, Ga. It's in the middle of nowhere and I knew few people, and the grind of sitting at a desk from 8 to 4 looking up press clippings isn't exactly something i want to be doing the next 5 years of my life.

My philosophys always been do what you want and the money will come later. I've always wanted to go to grad school, and unless I get an offer from a govt. organization or maybe some kind of NGO, I'm probably going to go that route. So I agree with everyone else, find something you enjoy and pursue it.

Well, as for me, i didn't really "make my coin." I made enough at 20-25 to live in a great apartment in nyc, and blow a few bucks doing the nightlife thing and travelling to some cool places. I saved enough in my retirement and savings accounts to cash in my chips and take a gamble on something new, but really not as much as I really need, and now i bust my hump 9-5 in a job i like while spending 6-1am working on my new project.

As for making your money first then enjoying what you do, how many guys in Ibanking or wall street in general do you see leaving at their mid thirties (or even forties) with a fat bank account to do what they like? Wall street, kinda like any fast competitive career kind of sucks you in. Besides, it is a lot harder to start over with a new career at 35, without even considering the responsibility of a family.

So then it worked out for you, which is exactly my point. You made enough when you were younger in order to take a gamble later in life on something you love.

Wall Street only sucks you in if you allow it to.

HA! Mav, I just noticed your status Bethel's drinking buddy! That's hilarious! I actually have had drinks with him (i'm not saying you have not, but i figured it was a joke). We were at A&M around the same time and College Station is not very big, especially the bar scene (which i owned!). Anyway, it was not the highlight of my life or anything, but when i saw this, i had to chuckle! Gig'em!

You only need to love your job if your first priority in life is work. It's hard to find that job you LOVE to go to...except that f*cker JoebabyNy...but for everyone else we just make the best of it. My job..your job....it is not your life...It isn't who you are and does not define you as a person. Nobody wants to go to a job they hate...but I don't think you NEED to love your job to keep it or even be successful at it.

Be happy in general with life. keep a positive attitude and you will be happy doing just about anything.

Archived