How important is it to love what you do?

So I was fortunate enough to land a summer internship at a good investment bank in New York this summer, however after about 6 weeks of it I am pretty sure that it is not something I enjoy doing. Now, I did not get the desk I wanted to be on so that is a possibility, but I am coming to the realization that I have a pretty important decision next fall. Hopefully I will get an offer at this firm but if not I am fairly certain I can land a full time job at another place doing the same thing. I just don

good question ma man.

I think many will tell you it's very important and they will be right in my opinion.

I actually love what i do because of the challenges it offers and the flexibility it offers me as far as being in or out of the office at my own disposal.

best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do. I'm sure you'll do fine if you give it 100%.

It's not a bad idea to have a backup plan along with a job that pays well.

If you want to go into sports marketing or try a job with a sports team go for it. Also have a contingency plan/money in case it does not work out for you.You have to like somewhat what you plan to do for a career.

So I was fortunate enough to land a summer internship at a good investment bank in New York this summer, however after about 6 weeks of it I am pretty sure that it is not something I enjoy doing. Now, I did not get the desk I wanted to be on so that is a possibility, but I am coming to the realization that I have a pretty important decision next fall. Hopefully I will get an offer at this firm but if not I am fairly certain I can land a full time job at another place doing the same thing. I just don’t know if I want to spend my twenties doing a job I’m not totally into (I don’t hate it or anything, I just crazy about it). My other idea was to enter the sports industry, either doing sports marketing (which is great when you get older but the pay is pretty bad at the entry level) or working for a specific sports team (would apply to the J-E-T-S) and try and work my way up the ranks there. The money will be no where near as good as if I took a spot on wall street but I am wondering how much worse it gets when you have to do the same thing day after day if you don’t really care about what you do. How many of you actually love what you do and how important is it?

Dude, enjoying what you do is the name of the game if you truly want to be happpy in life. Money is great, buys big houses, fast cars, and faster women, but it means crap if you are putting in the long hours and dreading waking up every morning and heading to work feeling tortured. I did the finance thing for 5 years, climbed the ladder from client service to jr equity trader in a year and a half and just loved it until i woke up and decided i needed a change in life and just bounced. I have been lucky because I have had two opposite career paths and now working on a third, and have truly loved and enjoyed both of them and made enough money to blow it on stupid stuff living in the city and experiencing life. You have years to crawl back to a miserable job and sell out for the paycheck, I would say go for what you want to do now, regret is too expensive for anyone to afford.

Dude, enjoying what you do is the name of the game if you truly want to be happpy in life. Money is great, buys big houses, fast cars, and faster women, but it means crap if you are putting in the long hours and dreading waking up every morning and heading to work feeling tortured. I did the finance thing for 5 years, climbed the ladder from client service to jr equity trader in a year and a half and just loved it until i woke up and decided i needed a change in life and just bounced. I have been lucky because I have had two opposite career paths and now working on a third, and have truly loved and enjoyed both of them and made enough money to blow it on stupid stuff living in the city and experiencing life. You have years to crawl back to a miserable job and sell out for the paycheck, I would say go for what you want to do now, regret is too expensive for anyone to afford.

Holy chit! I agree with you 100%!

Been thinking a lot about this today. I think it was cosmic - during my plane ride home today I was sitting next to some guy who is a career counselor and motivational speaker. Even devised some personality test to determine what's important (for you) in life - and thus in career. I had told him about a "happiness for professional growth" seminar I had taken when I worked at a former employer. During the class you discover the five most important things that make you happy. I told him what they were. He asked me what I do. He then asked me how trapped I felt. I told him very. Sometimes you just need a strangers validation. I need to find something else to do.

I hate my job, it sucks. it's not the work, but the people/customers have become maniacal in the past 5 years. but fate has dropped a new career on my lap that will be launched in 8 months, an opportunity that I just couldn't turn down. it's an opportunity to be on the ground floor of something at the right place and at the right time.

As Joe said

regret is too expensive for anyone to afford.

Been thinking a lot about this today. I think it was cosmic - during my plane ride home today I was sitting next to some guy who is a career counselor and motivational speaker. Even devised some personality test to determine what's important (for you) in life - and thus in career. I had told him about a "happiness for professional growth" seminar I had taken when I worked at a former employer. During the class you discover the five most important things that make you happy. I told him what they were. He asked me what I do. He then asked me how trapped I felt. I told him very. Sometimes you just need a strangers validation. I need to find something else to do.

It's funny how your perspective on a scenario can change and how clear everything becomes overnight.

I refuse to work where I don't want to work...it took me until my early 30's to have the courage to do what I always wanted to do-some of us find ourselves a little later in life....

I'm reading a book right now I would recommend to anybody asking themselves this question-it's called "Do You" by Russel Simmons

You're not married and you have no kids.

When those things happen, you'll have the rest of your life to say DAMN! why didn't I try that when I had the chance!?

Run. Fast. Take a chance on the thing you enjoy. I like the sports marketing thing because you're parlaying your experience into a direction you like.

I love my family and you'll love yours...but you have a very short window of opportunity right now to work through the lean years of something you truly enjoy. Do it now.

You're not married and you have no kids.

When those things happen, you'll have the rest of your life to say DAMN! why didn't I try that when I had the chance!?

Run. Fast. Take a chance on the thing you enjoy. I like the sports marketing thing because you're parlaying your experience into a direction you like.

I love my family and you'll love yours...but you have a very short window of opportunity right now to work through the lean years of something you truly enjoy. Do it now.

great advice JK...now change that damn avatar-it worked in beating New England-actually it was MY waddywaddy foo foo picture of Adam Vinatieri in a Colts uniform that did it

ABSOLUTELY 1000% MANDATORY YOU ENJOY YOUR WORK! Okay, this is obviously not a luxury that everyone can afford, but circumstances are a bitch. You, my friend, have an opportunity to enjoy life. Do you realize how rare that is? Most people are f'n miserable man! Why on Earth would you waste you f'n time in mundaneville, simply b/c the money is right, right now. If you have an ideal in your head of what your life should be, then make it happen; whatever it takes. Bust your damn balls, day in, day out. Love what you, or else it will consume you...

ABSOLUTELY 1000% MANDATORY YOU ENJOY YOUR WORK! Okay, this is obviously not a luxury that everyone can afford, but circumstances are a bitch. You, my friend, have an opportunity to enjoy life. Do you realize how rare that is? Most people are f'n miserable man! Why on Earth would you waste you f'n time in mundaneville, simply b/c the money is right, right now. If you have an ideal in your head of what your life should be, then make it happen; whatever it takes. Bust your damn balls, day in, day out. Love what you, or else it will consume you...

right on RTJ--it doesn't matter how much money you make anyway...hell every time I made a few extra bucks my car found out about it-or my kids

One thing I've learned living down here in the richest county in America is that money does NOT buy happiness-I used to drive a lot of miserable sons of bitches around on Palm Beach in my cab when we moved here-was a big eye opener for me coming from the little ****hole town I came from in Jersey where NOBODY had money

It's never too late to be what you might have been.---George Elliot.

Grazie everyone for the sincere responses. I think/hope I eventually go that way, it just seems everyone I know is doing the Wall St. thing and I know that down the road I will either be infintely more happy than them or infintely more upset....

It just seems hard to pass up the salaries and growth opportunities that Wall St. offers....Im going to apply to both next year and if I only get into one place then fate has decided for me...if I get into both welllllll then I have a decision.

Grazie everyone for the sincere responses. I think/hope I eventually go that way, it just seems everyone I know is doing the Wall St. thing and I know that down the road I will either be infintely more happy than them or infintely more upset....

It just seems hard to pass up the salaries and growth opportunities that Wall St. offers....Im going to apply to both next year and if I only get into one place then fate has decided for me...if I get into both welllllll then I have a decision.

Here's hoping for both! :cheers: It never hurts to have a back-up plan!

Garb,

We will miss you. Sorry posting here doesn't make you happy.

You don't necessarily have to love what you do, but you should at least like it and not dread going to work every day. When you are young, the lure of the quick money is tough to turn down, but life is a marathon and not a sprint so go for something that you really want to do while you have a chance to do so. As soon as the you get married, have kids, buy a house etc. it is very tough to make a change because the monthly obligations won't let you. Think long term.

Oh sweet jesus WHY DIDNT ANYONE GIVE ME A WARNING!!!

I just wikipedia'ed gelding and

1. I look like an idiot

and

2. it is SOOOOOOOO unnecessary for wikipedia to post the pictures of the process that makes an animal a gelding....a gelding....horse casterating pictures should never be seen....let alone before noon....

This could be the start of a bad day....

It's never too late to be what you might have been.---George Elliot.

This struck a nerve with me a bit, and here's why: I disagree with most people here.

I look at it like this; why not take the high-reward position when you're young, then move on to something that you love after you've made your coin?

Case in point: I held my son's 6th birthday party in my backyard last month. I rented one of those blow-up-castle-moon-bouncers from a company a few block away from my house. The morning of the party, the owner shows up by himself to set up the bouncer. We started talking, and wouldn't you know it, he was a Streeter in his 20's, made a fortune, then left his job and moved out to Eastern LI and started a party supply rental company. Now he lives in beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood, he's his own boss, makes his own hours, sets his own rates, coaches his son's Little League team and his daughter's soccer team, and has the time and financial security to do whatever the hell he wants whenever he wants to -- at age 35.

Joebaby is another example. He said he made his coin in his younger days (20's?), now he's doing what he loves. Why? Because now he can.

No, money isn't everything. But when you have it, it helps you get to what you really want to do comfortably.

He already said he doesn't absolutely detest the job, just that he doesn't like it enough to want to do it for the rest of his life. So suck it up, work your ass off at it now, make a boat load of dough, then get out and do what you really want to do.

From my point of view, I love what I do, I've been interested in Real Estate since I was a teenager (about 13) and I enjoy it to the fullest, I feel that if you don't like what you're doing you should seriously consider a career change..

For Example, My Friend Jaron, was working with Sears as an Accounant. He was making huge amounts of money, but his heart wasn't in it. He took a bit of a pay cut and went on to teach at a high school. It may be less appealing to say I'm a Trigonometry teacher than to say I'm a top accountant for a business and I drive a Lexus, but he likes what he does and won't change it back for the world.

This struck a nerve with me a bit, and here's why: I disagree with most people here.

I look at it like this; why not take the high-reward position when you're young, then move on to something that you love after you've made your coin?

Case in point: I held my son's 6th birthday party in my backyard last month. I rented one of those blow-up-castle-moon-bouncers from a company a few block away from my house. The morning of the party, the owner shows up by himself to set up the bouncer. We started talking, and wouldn't you know it, he was a Streeter in his 20's, made a fortune, then left his job and moved out to Eastern LI and started a party supply rental company. Now he lives in beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood, he's his own boss, makes his own hours, sets his own rates, coaches his son's Little League team and his daughter's soccer team, and has the time and financial security to do whatever the hell he wants whenever he wants to -- at age 35.

Joebaby is another example. He said he made his coin in his younger days (20's?), now he's doing what he loves. Why? Because now he can.

No, money isn't everything. But when you have it, it helps you get to what you really want to do comfortably.

He already said he doesn't absolutely detest the job, just that he doesn't like it enough to want to do it for the rest of his life. So suck it up, work your ass off at it now, make a boat load of dough, then get out and do what you really want to do.

There is no guarantee that you will make a boatload of dough no matter what you do so that is not a very sound strategy. Even in fields where the pay can be lucrative, there is only a select few that make the very big bucks. With the monthly "nut" looming on the horizon, it is not easy for people just to change to a lower paying job because they tink they will enjoy it more. It can happen, but I think the house needs to paid off, the kids need to have left the nest etc. otherwise you are taking a chance on not meeting your necessary obligations.

There is no guarantee that you will make a boatload of dough no matter what you do so that is not a very sound strategy. Even in fields where the pay can be lucrative, there is only a select few that make the very big bucks. With the monthly "nut" looming on the horizon, it is not easy for people just to change to a lower paying job because they tink they will enjoy it more. It can happen, but I think the house needs to paid off, the kids need to have left the nest etc. otherwise you are taking a chance on not meeting your necessary obligations.

you both have a decent point. if you don't spend your money like an arse 30k a year can be a lot of money, and 30k is not hard to come by (probably even easier out east).

The way I see it... if I have to spend 9+ hours away from my wife and children every day I DAMN WELL BETTER LOVE what I'm doing! I'm on this planet to have a good time... whether i'm sitting in the Meadowlands parking lot with a beer, in section 123 and watching the Jets win, at home with my family, or at work. Also, you tend to be much better at doing something you have a passion about... it doesn't sound as though your passion is in investment banking.

Good luck in whatever you choose, though.

Archived