Wadsworth ,Schlegal ,Haynes & Kimo Cut

Smizzy

Wadsworth a likely cut

Comeback ends when Jets trim down to 53-man roster

Saturday, September 01, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The dream of a storybook comeback ended on a sour note for Jets linebacker/defensive end Andre Wadsworth yesterday.

Though the Jets won't officially announce their cuts until this afternoon, Wadsworth is one of several players the club has released to get down to the mandatory 53-player roster by 6 p.m., according to someone in regular contact with the club. That person requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak publicly.

Veteran defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, defensive end Michael Haynes and linebacker Anthony Schlegel, a third-round pick in 2006, were also among those who were cut

Wadsworth, who hadn't played since 2000 and had undergone 13 surgeries, was trying to make the unlikeliest of comebacks. He made it through training camp but was obviously a step slow. He did, however, have a strip/sack vs. the Giants.

Schlegel, who many said was selected too high, was quickly overtaken by rookie David Harris in training camp this summer and never really mounted a challenge. In the case of von Oelhoffen, the Jets finally admitted they made a mistake in giving the veteran a $3.2 million signing bonus last season. He was a big disappointment.

Quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo and rookie cornerback Manny Collins are among those who remain on the bubble.

Tuiasosopo, an ex-Raider who is battling Brad Smith for the third quarterback spot, made the Jets' decision more difficult be engineering a game-winning two-minute drive vs. the Eagles. Tuiasosopo is clearly the better pure quarterback. Smith affords the Jets roster flexibility.

Collins, a Rutgers product, has been solid since he arrived as a late signee and is a candidate for the practice squad.

"I've done my part," said Tuisasosopo, who'll likely catch on with another team if he's released. "I've worked hard and put my heart and soul in it. ... There's not much else I can do."

Said Collins: "It's been a big-time experience, it's been a blessing and I hope my blessing continues from here. I'll read my Bible and pray a lot, just try to relax (while awaiting word)."

Jets running back Thomas Jones, who suffered a strained right calf on Aug. 12th in practice, carried the ball only eight times for 27 yards and a touchdown in one preseason game this summer, but coach Eric Mangini expects him to be ready to go on Sept. 9 when the Jets meet the Patriots in the season opener at Giants Stadium.

Jones, an eighth-year pro, has missed just one game the past two seasons while rushing for over 2,500 yards for the Bears.

The Jets return to practice on Monday and chances are Jones will do some meaningful work. The Jets have been careful not to rush him back, but the games count now.

"Each guy is different," said Mangini when asked if Jones will be able to contribute right away. "With veteran guys who have that experience to draw from, they have got a real edge over, say, if a young guy had been hurt early in camp and then had to come back in because they haven't seen as many things. With Thomas, he's been through a lot of games. He's been through a lot of situations and he's very active in the meetings."

QB Kellen Clemens (30-for-41 for 364 yards, four TDs and two INTs) said he didn't necessarily learn anything new about himself this preseason.

"I just had an opportunity through an off-season of hard work to kind of reveal some of the things that were always there but never really surfaced," he said.

NT C.J. Mosley, who had three sacks and two forced fumbles in one series vs. the Eagles, spent his rookie season with the Vikings in 2005 and was obtained by the Jets last August in a trade involving QB Brooks Bollinger.

"I don't think I had nothing like that in my whole life," Mosley said of the series. "Anytime something like that happens, you think, 'Wow,' but you have to come back to earth."

Rookie LG Jacob Bender, who is extremely quick off the ball, can be overpowering as a run blocker at 6-6, 315 pounds. ... Chansi Stuckey (four catches, 47 yards) earned praise from QB Chad Pennington for his ability to get open over the middle and his smarts. ... FB Stacy Tutt (12 carries, 48 yards) has the moves of a tailback. ... Stuckey and fellow rookie Darrelle Revis look like a formidable punt return tandem. ... Ex-Jets RB Cedric Houston has re-enrolled at the University of Tennessee.

Dave Hutchinson may be reached

at dhutchinson@starledger.com

To bad for Andre. I was rooting for him.

Ex-Jets RB Cedric Houston has re-enrolled at the University of Tennessee. Oh well....good luck Cedric.

13 surgeries was just to much to comeback and actually be a playmaker in my eyes... I still wish he can slip through the cracks and make the team... But with Mangini running the show, I highly doubt it. He really loves the game of football maybe he can play over in Canada or even arena football? All I know Is I was really hopeing for a big preseason from him.

Collins has been solid? What is Hutchinson watching? Collins has been toasted every game he's played. I'm at a loss how he could be on the bubble; he sucks.

He's playing to the home crowd, and doesnt want hate mail from any joiseyites

;)

Wow. I really thought that they would keep Kimo after giving him his roster bonus and Schlegel just to give him 2 years in the system. Wow. Wadsworth and Haynes are not surprising at all however.

Mangini was actually giving our Rookies ALOT OF PLAYING TIME last year when it came to Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Mangold, Ferguson, D.Coleman and E.Smith, and younger players such as Cotchery and Rhodes got a real chance to shyne last year. The fact that Schlegel really never played spoke volumes to me as a fan who was high on "the run stuffing Boar Hunter" after we drafted him. No surprise here.

Man I woulda loved for Wadsworth to make the team, but I guess 13 surgiries were to much to overcome.

Archived