Eric confirms that he called Billick & signing the OG

Kentucky Jet

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/194-mangini-confirms-call-to-billick

09/19 — Eric Mangini opened today's news conference with some newsy items that have come up the last few days.

The Jets head coach confirmed reports that he called Baltimore coach Brian Billick following Billick's charge late Monday that the Jets were illegal simulating offensive signals that caused the Ravens to false-start a few times in Sunday's game.

"I talked with Brian yesterday. We had a good conversation," Mangini said. "It was important to me that we talked. I wanted him to know we don't coach things that cause penalties, we don't believe in getting penalties and that's something we work to minimize at all times. ... I felt very good about the conversation."

Mangini also commented for the first time on the word Tuesday afternoon that the team had placed Justin Miller on IR, and it was clear that the coach really felt badly for the player that he saw make great strides this summer in improving his corner play and continuing to excel as a Pro Bowl kickoff returner.

"I'm extremely disappointed for Justin," Mangini said. "I thought he had a really good off-season. [Defensive line assistant coach] Bryan Cox and he actually spent a lot of time together. I saw that quite a bit, I saw Justin practice, I saw him in meetings — he took some of the most impressive notes of any of the players. All those things add up. It's tough, it's tough."

The coach also announced that the Jets filled Miller's active-roster spot by signing free agent OL Will Montgomery, a Virginia Tech product and a strongman who did 35 reps in the 225-pound bench press at the 2006 combine workouts. Montgomery was Carolina's seventh-round pick in that draft and played in six games, starting four. He was a final cut of the Panthers earlier this month.

"I really liked his motor," Mangini said of watching video of Montgomery. "I thought he showed good pinch on second level. He's got good toughness and he's a good kid. He's played both guard and center and has some flexibility to go out to tackle."

Cotchery's Big Day Revisited

Two notes on Jerricho Cotchery's career 165-yard receiving game vs. the Ravens. Unofficially, Cotchery racked up 88 yards after catch on his seven receptions. That's the most in a game by a Jets wideout since Keyshawn Johnson notched 100 YAC in the 1999 season opener vs. New England. The only other player to top J-Co's YAC total since then was Leon Washington with 115 yards last Christmas night at Miami.

And Cotchery was only the third Jet in at least the last 12 seasons to record two catches of 40-plus yards in the same game. Here's the list:

Season Receiver Quarterback Opp. Yardage

1999 Keyshawn Johnson Tom Tupa vs. N.E. 50, 65

2003 Santana Moss Chad Pennington at Oak. 65, 43

2007 Jerricho Cotchery Kellen Clemens at Bal. 44, 50

Rate this Post 11 ratings submitted

Archived