Some minor league notes from BaseballAmerica

faba

Baseball America's Daily Dish

Complete Daily Dish Archive

Compiled by Kevin Goldstein, Chris Kline and Matt Meyers

June 13, 2005

The Tigers have to be pleased after finally getting righthander Justin Verlander in the fold. Detroit broke off talks after it drafted Verlander, the No. 2 pick overall last year out of Old Dominion, before finally getting the $4.5 million guaranteed contract signed in October.

And this season, the Tigers are quickly seeing returns from the 6-foot-5, 200-pound righthander. In 79 innings at high Class A Lakeland, Verlander was 8-2, 1.71 with a 95-18 strikeout-walk ratio. He regularly pitches in the mid 90s with his fastball, complemented by a hammer curve and a changeup that is giving him a legitimate third option.

He was dominant in his last outing against Fort Myers on Saturday, whiffing 10 in seven innings and only walking one.

We caught up with a veteran scout who broke down his perceptions of Verlander, who is leading the Florida State League in wins, ERA and strikeouts.

"He is outstanding," said the AL scout, who saw Verlander three times. "He was 96 (mph) with kind of a sweeping curveball--it wasn't as strong as what it was advertised to be, but it still had some heavy, downward action. Still, it looked like he needed to tighten it more.

"He pitched at 95-96 early, then curbed that velocity back to 91-92 in the second and third innings each time, I think more to get more of a rhythm than anything else. But then he pumps it back up to 95-96 the rest of the way. He's got a real quick arm, and it can sometimes get away from him early. But he shows the aptitude to make that adjustment easily, and was just as effective in the low 90s as he was at 95-96.

"The changeup was good, but his arm action can tend to get a little slow and that's to be expected since he hasn't thrown it much. But he dominates with good location on his fastball and drops that curveball in there, throwing both pitches consistently for strikes. I like him a lot. He's got the arm, the heart and the head to do some very, very great things for that organization."

--CHRIS KLINE

DISH PIECES

Actually Faba, I've been keeping an eye on Mr. Verlander, down there in Lakeland. He's been, quite hoenstly, tearing it up, and I couldn't be happier. Don't be suprised if he's in the rotation next year. He's the first Tigers pitching prospect to actually pan out. Kyle Sleeth is getting Tommy John's surgery. Kenny Baugh has slowly progressed. Joel Zumaya is another pitcher who will make the 06 rotation, by what I hear. Actually... there's been alot of Tigers prospects who haven't cashed in. The kid they traded for Farnsworth (I can't remember his name), he was a first round pick who just floundered in single A ball. So, any lil silver lining, I'll take it.

Verlander should get promoted to AA by midseason, and if he keeps this up, I don't see why he shouldn't be in the 06 rotation by midseason next year.

The whole ordeal with Verlander and the contract talks with the Tigers was more of a miscommunications betwee the Verlander family and Justin's agent. Verlanders were unaware that the agent was holding him out and it was actually Justin's father who helped get an agreement with the Tigers, not the agent.

The prospects of our rotation next year make me almost giddy.

Jeremy Bonderman

Justin Verlander

Joel Zumaya

Nate Robertson

Mike Maroth/Jason Johnson

Very young rotation, but HUGE potential there.

I have a feeling the Tigers will go after a starting pitcher via free agency this offseason and let either Maroth or Jason Johnson go. Johnson is a FA after the season, but has been pitching decent lately. Might be given a 1 year contract. I expect Maroth to be traded. 2-6 this year I believe and his home era is atrotious. Somewhere in the 6.00+.

Verlander should get promoted to AA by midseason, and if he keeps this up, I don't see why he shouldn't be in the 06 rotation by midseason next year.

The whole ordeal with Verlander and the contract talks with the Tigers was more of a miscommunications betwee the Verlander family and Justin's agent. Verlanders were unaware that the agent was holding him out and it was actually Justin's father who helped get an agreement with the Tigers, not the agent.

The prospects of our rotation next year make me almost giddy.

Jeremy Bonderman

Justin Verlander

Joel Zumaya

Nate Robertson

Mike Maroth/Jason Johnson

Very young rotation, but HUGE potential there.

I have a feeling the Tigers will go after a starting pitcher via free agency this offseason and let either Maroth or Jason Johnson go. Johnson is a FA after the season, but has been pitching decent lately. Might be given a 1 year contract. I expect Maroth to be traded. 2-6 this year I believe and his home era is atrotious. Somewhere in the 6.00+.

Not to discredit Bonderman or anything, but instead of a Maroth/Johnson grouping, I'd rather have an established ace at the top. They're getting alot off the books this year. Granted, they need a hitter or five in the worst way, but why not make that pitching even better? The only big name pitcher I know of, that's a free agent, is AJ Brunette. Is there another one? I think, with an established ace, it'd take pressure off of Bonderman, Verlander, and Zumaya. Zumaya, if I'm not mistaken, is a hard throwing leftie. Though, I could be wrong.

And, the Tigers need hitting. In the worst way possible. Which is kinda sad, since this team has Dmitri Young, Pudge Rodriguez, and Carlos Gullien. Oh, and Magglio Ordornez (a great signing, by the by). Two injuries (three, if you count Pudge's broken hand) and inconsistant young players... this offense should be worlds better than it is.

Archived