Baltimore may share the QB position

faba

Billick Says He May Continue Platoon at QB

Boller's Play, McNair's Health Cited

By Camille Powell

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, September 25, 2007; Page E07

OWINGS MILLS, Md., Sept. 24 -- Kyle Boller's career as a Baltimore Ravens quarterback has taken several turns over the past five years, from first-round draft pick to oft-criticized starter to valued backup. Now, Boller appears to have a new role: late-game reliever.

One day after Boller replaced starter Steve McNair in the fourth quarter against the Arizona Cardinals and led the Ravens to a winning field goal, Coach Brian Billick said he has no qualms turning to Boller in late-game situations as McNair continues to recover from a strained groin.

There is no question McNair, who was injured in the season opener and missed the second game, is Baltimore's starting quarterback. But considering his age (34), the beating his body has taken over 13 NFL seasons, and the way Boller has performed this month, Billick said he would consider using a similar platoon even after McNair is healthy.

"It depends on the continuity of the team, what Steve's doing and, you know what?, I got the sense that Steve would be okay with that under the right circumstances," Billick said during his weekly news conference. "That's 20 fewer plays, five fewer hits, whatever it may be. There was a freshness to Steve's arm in the [Arizona] game, because of the week he had off previously. We're lucky to have that latitude with Kyle."

Boller showed signs of improvement during the final three games of the 2005 season, his last as a full-time starter, and was reliable as a backup last year. He's been poised and confident this season, nearly leading the Ravens to a last-minute comeback against the Bengals in the opener -- a potential game-tying touchdown pass to tight end Todd Heap was waved off because of a questionable penalty -- and then taking the Ravens past the Jets, 20-13. He is completing 64.7 percent of his passes, the best average of his career, and has thrown two touchdowns and one interception.

McNair, who committed four turnovers against Cincinnati, was better against the Cardinals. He was 20 of 27 for 198 yards and one touchdown and consistently moved the Ravens down the field. McNair didn't ask to leave the game and was initially surprised when Billick told him Boller was going in. But McNair agreed it was the smart decision.

The injury is "not going to go away like magic," McNair said after the game. "But at the same time, that's why we tried to be smart with it [sunday]. We weren't trying to go out there and try to aggravate it. The more I can go into next week, feeling fresh at practice, the better off it'll be."

Billick said Monday that McNair tweaked the groin earlier in the game, and as the game wore on, "there were a couple of throws that I think he didn't really put his legs into, and that made me wonder if maybe it was beginning to fatigue as the game went on." Also, Billick felt the risk of McNair aggravating the injury was greater in the fourth quarter, particularly as the Cardinals brought more pressure in an attempt to get back into the game.

The Ravens led 23-6 and appeared to be in control when Boller started warming up at the end of the third quarter. But by the time he entered the game, the Ravens' lead was down to 10. Boller's first series was a three and out, and the second ended with him getting sacked for a seven-yard loss. The Cardinals tied the score with 1 minute 50 seconds remaining.

Billick did not consider going back to McNair as Baltimore's lead dwindled -- "To bounce them back and forth in that way probably wouldn't have been fair," he said -- and McNair said he didn't lobby to return to the game because he knew Boller, who was 5 for 5 on the final drive, was capable of finishing it.

Finding the right balance between two quarterbacks -- particularly two who have started in the NFL -- can be tricky, but Billick thinks the situation will work because of the players involved. McNair has been the consummate professional in Baltimore, and Boller -- who recently signed a one-year contract extension -- has handled his changing roles gracefully.

"It can be a huge problem if you let your egos get involved," Billick said. "But Steve has one agenda, and that is to win and to get through the season and be the quarterback he has shown he has been for us. . . . The numbers, the stats, he doesn't care. He's all about winning, and I appreciate that. It could become more of a problem if a guy didn't have the right character and the right ego."

Ravens Notes: Billick said the Ravens emerged relatively healthy from Sunday's game. Heap suffered a mild concussion but should be able to play in Cleveland. Cornerback Samari Rolle, who was on the sidelines but did not play because of an undisclosed illness, also should be back this week. . . .

Place kicker Matt Stover, who converted four field goals, including the game-winner as time expired, moved into fifth place on the NFL's all-time scoring list (1,745 points).

people were really pissed about the defense after the Ravens game but the game i saw was the best i've ever seen Boller play. the guy did a great job and seems to have finally got it.

Boller played a great game. I was surprised he wasn't given the starting job back after that performance actually.

Boller was rushed out too quickly because in three years he was hurt and they expected greatness out of him with little or no talent at the Wide Receiver position. Now with Derrick Mason, Demetrius Williams and Michael Clayton they have more than Todd Heap. Boller is older, wiser and healthy and obviously wants to stay in Baltimore since he extended his contract through the 2008 season. He may have the starting job by November.

Archived