Rare color photos from World War I

BP

that was awsome.

not to be 'that idiot' but what country was in blue? I had never seen the color photos before, so i guess i didn't know anyone would do that...unless they were french...i bet they are french. :)

If they are running away from the battle, then yes, they are French.

Thanks for sharing this find BP. I spent over 1/2 hr. just going over the photos. They were magnificent. Yes, judging by the helmets and the truck I do believe they were French soldiers.

astounding.

those pictures were just amazing.

WW1 is, in my opinion, the most interesting of wars in the last 200 years. A true war between old Europe and new Europe, soldiers marching in Napoleonic uniform to the sounds of machine gun fire, a war that started with cavalry lancers ended with tanks, the war that separated the gentlemen's aspect from warfare. Those pictures are great, and the saddest part is, no one in those pictures knew that 20 years later, everything would be destroyed again.

WW1 is, in my opinion, the most interesting of wars in the last 200 years. A true war between old Europe and new Europe, soldiers marching in Napoleonic uniform to the sounds of machine gun fire, a war that started with cavalry lancers ended with tanks, the war that separated the gentlemen's aspect from warfare. Those pictures are great, and the saddest part is, no one in those pictures knew that 20 years later, everything would be destroyed again.

nice post. I don't know anything about WWI, i mean i know why it started (as the history books say anyway), i know they used some awful tactics involving gases. As for where the great battles were fought, and any generals, or heros involved, i have no clue.

got any advice on a good book or two? something readable, i am still stuck in "rise and fall of the third reich"...its a tough read, i am just too elementary for it...or no patience. :)

Archived