Fox Sports on the Jets.

JETSFAN5180

The Jets

I called the Jets a fraud of a potential playoff team in late September when it became evident that management over-rated their talent level based on a magnificent first-year coaching job by Eric Mangini. Given one of those weak schedules, Mangini's team won 10 games in 2006 and even shocked the mighty Patriots in Foxboro. They boldly sent a second-round pick to Chicago for Thomas Jones and believed their running game was secure.

But this team slowly began to unravel, starting with the Pete Kendall contract war, and far too many players are unhappy with Mangini's iron-hand approach to everything in life. Kendall's trade created a lack of cohesion on the offensive line and Jones never has gotten untracked. Jonathan Vilma, a talented linebacker, was lost for the season, but he was also one of several players who wished they were playing a 4-3 system. Now, who knows if Vilma will be around next season.

How to Fix 'Em: The Jets should have started Kellen Clemens from the beginning in order to find out if he's the quarterback of the future. They need to shore up the offensive line and also find a pass rusher, considering they have only nine sacks all season, tied with the Panthers and Bills for the NFL low. GM Mike Tannenbaum is great doing the salary crunching, but there are huge questions about his talent evaluating. Maybe Mike should consider hiring a top evaluator

The Jets

I called the Jets a fraud of a potential playoff team in late September when it became evident that management over-rated their talent level based on a magnificent first-year coaching job by Eric Mangini. Given one of those weak schedules, Mangini's team won 10 games in 2006 and even shocked the mighty Patriots in Foxboro. They boldly sent a second-round pick to Chicago for Thomas Jones and believed their running game was secure.

But this team slowly began to unravel, starting with the Pete Kendall contract war, and far too many players are unhappy with Mangini's iron-hand approach to everything in life. Kendall's trade created a lack of cohesion on the offensive line and Jones never has gotten untracked. Jonathan Vilma, a talented linebacker, was lost for the season, but he was also one of several players who wished they were playing a 4-3 system. Now, who knows if Vilma will be around next season.

How to Fix 'Em: The Jets should have started Kellen Clemens from the beginning in order to find out if he's the quarterback of the future. They need to shore up the offensive line and also find a pass rusher, considering they have only nine sacks all season, tied with the Panthers and Bills for the NFL low. GM Mike Tannenbaum is great doing the salary crunching, but there are huge questions about his talent evaluating. Maybe Mike should consider hiring a top evaluator

Wow, spot on brother. Doing so well last year hid a lot of problems this year. I do think we had to play Penny to start though. He played well enough to get us to the playoffs. But I think we should off pulled the plug on him about 2 games before we actually did. As far as the draft goes. If we don't feel like a stud DE or NT is available we should get Long OT.

The Jets

In hindsight, its amazingly easy to say the Jets should've started Clemens over Penny. But to bench a QB that led his team to the playoffs? Now thats just ridiculous. Easy schedule or not, Pennington is a leader on the team and before the season started I bet 3/4 of Jets fans (excluding Barton and others) was happy with Pennington on the field.

Can't disagree with the Kendell situation though, that really exploded right in their face

In hindsight, its amazingly easy to say the Jets should've started Clemens over Penny. But to bench a QB that led his team to the playoffs? Now thats just ridiculous. Easy schedule or not, Pennington is a leader on the team and before the season started I bet 3/4 of Jets fans (excluding Barton and others) was happy with Pennington on the field.

Can't disagree with the Kendell situation though, that really exploded right in their face

Maybe you just have terrible evaluative ability, and the 1/4th of us were actually, you know, right? Is it that hard to admit you were wrong?

A better talent evaluator?

Is Terry Bradway not one of these?

Granted the man sucks balls as a GM but he's an excellent evaluator of talent.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time calling a man that wasted a #4 on Drob, traded a 1st rder for Doug Jolley, and drafted ONLY 2 or 3 players that still play a role on this team in 5 years as GM an average talent evaluator, nevermind a good or excellent one.

Maybe you just have terrible evaluative ability, and the 1/4th of us were actually, you know, right? Is it that hard to admit you were wrong?

Right, starting a QB who took the team to the playoffs in favor of a 2nd year player who wasn't even the back-up for the most part of the season is the viable choice to make a switch. Oh, and looking back......

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38255&highlight=Training+Camp

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38282&highlight=Training+Camp

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38314&highlight=Training+Camp

If you've get a moment read up about Clemens in some of the TCs this season. Summing it up, Clemens didn't look too good in the beginning, to the point that even Brad Smith was going for the back-up spot. Kellen did get better as camp progressed yes, but Chad looked very crisp and it looked clear he was the starter. Personally, I think that if Chad didn't play as terrible as he played, then Clemens wouldn't be in. But at 1-8, our season is at a loss and we need a spark so I'm all for Clemens.

Right, starting a QB who took the team to the playoffs in favor of a 2nd year player who wasn't even the back-up for the most part of the season is the viable choice to make a switch. Oh, and looking back......

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38255&highlight=Training+Camp

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38282&highlight=Training+Camp

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38314&highlight=Training+Camp

If you've get a moment read up about Clemens in some of the TCs this season. Summing it up, Clemens didn't look too good in the beginning, to the point that even Brad Smith was going for the back-up spot. Kellen did get better as camp progressed yes, but Chad looked very crisp and it looked clear he was the starter. Personally, I think that if Chad didn't play as terrible as he played, then Clemens wouldn't be in. But at 1-8, our season is at a loss and we need a spark so I'm all for Clemens.

Most correct. EVERY I repeat EVERY report from the writers covering the Jets TC reported that Penny was light years ahead of any other QB in camp. If anyone was better I'm sure Mangini would have started them but that was NOT the case. Penny both deserved and earned the right to start the season as QB.

Most correct. EVERY I repeat EVERY report from the writers covering the Jets TC reported that Penny was light years ahead of any other QB in camp. If anyone was better I'm sure Mangini would have started them but that was NOT the case. Penny both deserved and earned the right to start the season as QB.

False. 'cane reported at least one I remember as late as August where Mangini got so frustrated with Chad holding the ball b/c he repeatedly couldn't "find" an open receiver (yes, against OUR defense) that he yanked him. Put Clemens in & he marched the offense down the (practice) field twice in a row (and not with all dink-&-dunk's either).

Archived