Scott Stevens may play!

Gang Green Girl

Declaring himself healthy and recovered from post-concussion syndrome, Devils captain Scott Stevens would not rule out returning to play hockey next season.

"I'm fine. Everything's good," Stevens told The Post yesterday. "I haven't made any decision. I don't have to yet.

"I haven't put any thought into anything. I haven't thought about hockey that much, because of the lockout."

The 2000 Conn Smythe Trophy winner as playoff MVP says he's been keeping himself in shape.

"I've been working out, helping coach [prep school], keeping busy with my kids," Stevens said.

Stevens last played Jan. 7, 2004, when he began sitting out with what was initially termed a flu-like ailment, but later diagnosed as post-concussion syndrome. It was suspected that ailment was related to the shot puck he took on the ear during the 2003 playoffs, when he returned heroically the next game en route to his third Stanley Cup.

Now 41, Stevens would have been due his $7 million salary for disability during the lockout. He says he was cleared for duty in November, and those payments presumably ended then.

That situation, combined with the expected wipe-out of 2004-05 contracts in the CBA being negotiated, would leave Stevens an unrestricted free agent. He says, however, he'd probably stay with the Devils if he returns to play.

"I kind of don't see myself being anywhere else," Stevens said.

Among the Devils, only Martin Brodeur, Sergei Brylin, Grant Marshall, John Madden, Richard Matvichuk, Krzysztof Oliwa, Darren Langdon and Jay Pandolfo are under contract for the coming season.

Declaring himself healthy and recovered from post-concussion syndrome, Devils captain Scott Stevens would not rule out returning to play hockey next season.

"I'm fine. Everything's good," Stevens told The Post yesterday. "I haven't made any decision. I don't have to yet.

"I haven't put any thought into anything. I haven't thought about hockey that much, because of the lockout."

The 2000 Conn Smythe Trophy winner as playoff MVP says he's been keeping himself in shape.

"I've been working out, helping coach [prep school], keeping busy with my kids," Stevens said.

Stevens last played Jan. 7, 2004, when he began sitting out with what was initially termed a flu-like ailment, but later diagnosed as post-concussion syndrome. It was suspected that ailment was related to the shot puck he took on the ear during the 2003 playoffs, when he returned heroically the next game en route to his third Stanley Cup.

Now 41, Stevens would have been due his $7 million salary for disability during the lockout. He says he was cleared for duty in November, and those payments presumably ended then.

That situation, combined with the expected wipe-out of 2004-05 contracts in the CBA being negotiated, would leave Stevens an unrestricted free agent. He says, however, he'd probably stay with the Devils if he returns to play.

"I kind of don't see myself being anywhere else," Stevens said.

Among the Devils, only Martin Brodeur, Sergei Brylin, Grant Marshall, John Madden, Richard Matvichuk, Krzysztof Oliwa, Darren Langdon and Jay Pandolfo are under contract for the coming season.

At least Pat LaFontaine was smart enough to know when it was time to hang up the skates.

Chrebet, Lindros, Stevens...Too much ego, not enough smarts.

He's just like Chrebet, Lindros and the rest of those post-concussion types. He's one check away from being a vegetable.

And SS will forever wear a target on his back and chest after making a career or decapitating people at the blue line.

At least Pat LaFontaine was smart enough to know when it was time to hang up the skates.

Chrebet, Lindros, Stevens...Too much ego, not enough smarts.

He's just like Chrebet, Lindros and the rest of those post-concussion types. He's one check away from being a vegetable.

And SS will forever wear a target on his back and chest after making a career or decapitating people at the blue line.

Archived