An observation Kellen's ability...

PantyHose&Furs

One of my many frustrations dating back to the Paul Hackett days was that our offense lacked any improvisational ability and relied exclusively on execution to be effective. When a defense "won" the play and disrupted the timing, execution of our offense we were ineffective.

A quality I see in Kellen is his ability to extend plays and enable our offense to make positive yardage when a play breaks down.

Shanny said it today on PFT and I totally agree.

Defenses today are very well coached, teams are scouted exceptionally well...and if we don't have a QB that can improvise we're in trouble.

I believe this is one of Kellen's strongest traits demonstrated thus far...and a reason for optimism that he can develop into a QB we can count on.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan says of QB Jay Cutler, "He's got the ability to make something when nothing is there. The sign of a good to great quarterback is he can make something happen when the play breaks down."

My main concern with Clements after the Ravens game was that he held the ball to long.

He seems to have corrected that already, which is a very good sign that he is a quick study, and takes coaching very well.

In the Steelers game, the things that I was concerned about were.

The 1-4 with the first and goals is not a good thing at all.

His accuracy at times was bad. The pick was awful, and could have been a game killer.

Hasn't been consistent in the mid part of any of the games he has played.

The good things

Has a big league arm. Not as strong a Nagel's but still strong. (just had to throw that in there)

His pocket presence is excellent. Very good sign for a young QB.

His 4th quarter comebacks. If he is given time to throw, he will kill ya.

His ability to take the ball down and run. That first down scramble was monster.

Has a nice play action. Probably learned it from Chad. Couple that with a strong arm, and DC's lose a lot of sleep.

All in all, he looks like he is going to be an excellent QB once the Jets get some players around him.

Most of his weakness look like they can be healed with coaching. He has only had 3 starts.

a few things I like he is not afraid to throw it at the Flight Girls if nothing's happening and 2-he releases the ball high countering his size well with the release point and he throws that ball hard

You know, watching the KC-Indy game I noticed Croyle had the Bernie kosar release...Yet the announcers kept masturbating over his forearms..

My main concern with Clements after the Ravens game was that he held the ball to long.

He seems to have corrected that already, which is a very good sign that he is a quick study, and takes coaching very well.

In the Steelers game, the things that I was concerned about were.

The 1-4 with the first and goals is not a good thing at all.

His accuracy at times was bad. The pick was awful, and could have been a game killer.

Hasn't been consistent in the mid part of any of the games he has played.

The good things

Has a big league arm. Not as strong a Nagel's but still strong. (just had to throw that in there)

His pocket presence is excellent. Very good sign for a young QB.

His 4th quarter comebacks. If he is given time to throw, he will kill ya.

His ability to take the ball down and run. That first down scramble was monster.

Has a nice play action. Probably learned it from Chad. Couple that with a strong arm, and DC's lose a lot of sleep.

All in all, he looks like he is going to be an excellent QB once the Jets get some players around him.

Most of his weakness look like they can be healed with coaching. He has only had 3 starts.

Of course, what you have not stated is that if his receivers would have held onto several of his passes, we'd be 3 and 0 with him at the controls. Our run game against the best DEFENSE in the NFL was there BECAUSE Kellen has an arm and showed the STEELERS that he is not afraid toair it out. We can all nit pick this and that but the kid should be 3 and 0 with a rather weak team and weak OL.. EVERY QB has a weakness, not just KELLEN.

One of the many things I've noticed is that even when Clemens is in there our offence is still based around the short passing game. The difference with Kellen though is that the passes are getting there quicker, which should allow our WR's more time after the catch, we have seen some cases of that already. It is also very hard for defenders to jump routes for his passes, anyone see that play were Polamalu came flying down, thinking he had a pick only to see the ball fly past him. With Chad unfortunatley that would have been a pick 6.

The main thing that impresses me about clemens is that he hangs tough, no matter how bad things seem to be going. With Chad, the opposite pretty much happened, when things went bad for him early on, things just got worse and worse, Clemens is great at recovering from bad plays and picking himself up, that is very important to be an NFL QB in this league. In that last drive vs the Steelers to tie the game he showed a lot of poise, I was very very impressed.He stepped up in the clutch, which is great to see.

Im excited, very excited about what we may have in this kid.

Of course, what you have not stated is that if his receivers would have held onto several of his passes, we'd be 3 and 0 with him at the controls. Our run game against the best DEFENSE in the NFL was there BECAUSE Kellen has an arm and showed the STEELERS that he is not afraid toair it out. We can all nit pick this and that but the kid should be 3 and 0 with a rather weak team and weak OL.. EVERY QB has a weakness, not just KELLEN.

The run game has improved quite a bit since KC has been in there. I'm not ready to give him 100% credit for that increase. Our line has been playing together for 9 games now, you would expect minimal improvement on that alone. Couple that with Clarke hasn't been getting all the minutes recently (or at least for the Pitt game).

Kellen has had a good impact on the run, but he is not the sole reason.

JMO

The run game has improved quite a bit since KC has been in there. I'm not ready to give him 100% credit for that increase. Our line has been playing together for 9 games now, you would expect minimal improvement on that alone. Couple that with Clarke hasn't been getting all the minutes recently (or at least for the Pitt game).

Kellen has had a good impact on the run, but he is not the sole reason.

JMO

no but he's been a big part of it drago-just as we all had been predicting he would-Clemen's idea of a short pass is one that usually travels at least 10 yards in the air-Chad? 3-4. Watch that game tying drive-no way Chad Pennington does what Kellen does or makes the same decisions or even runs for that 1st down

no but he's been a big part of it drago-just as we all had been predicting he would-Clemen's idea of a short pass is one that usually travels at least 10 yards in the air-Chad? 3-4. Watch that game tying drive-no way Chad Pennington does what Kellen does or makes the same decisions or even runs for that 1st down

no arguments against KC on my part. I'm just saying there are other factors at play that have gotten the running game going...playing with a lead, continuing to feed TJ the ball (not just for a half).

You couldn't be more right about that last drive. I don't think Chad could have gotten us that far down the field with 10 attempts, as Irish jet said, that throw KC made with Troy P trying to jump the route, would have gone for six the other way.

However, in chad's defense (holy crap, one of the 8 deadly sins!), Chad would not have thrown the ball to Cotch that almost got picked off, he would have seen Smith open in the flats, just five yards wide of him. Also, the forth down play where KC threw it high to J-mac, probably would have been completed with Chad in there.

Playing Devil's advicate on myself...the defenses would have been playing the game different had Chad been in...point taken.

Either way, i'm very happy with KC, he's going to be good to great for a long time. Easily going to be the best QB in the 06 draft.

Archived