Q & A with JOE KLECKO

Kentucky Jet

SERBY'S SUNDAY Q&A WITH...

JOE KLECKO

By STEVE SERBY

Joe Klecko

December 16, 2007 -- The Post's Steve Serby chatted with the leader of the vaunted New York Sack Exchange, who made the Pro Bowl at nose guard, defensive end and defensive tackle.

Q: Bill Belichick vs. Eric Mangini?

A: Belichick has an opportunity to create something fantastic. The idea of sportsmanship in football ... in anything ... is gone. Sports is a microcosm of our society - hooray-for-me-and-the-hell-with-you. I'd like to see them actually be civil. Let bygones be bygones. Belichick is a great coach but, dammit, bring back sportsmanship!

Q: Describe the feeling when the New York Sack Exchange was on a roll.

A: It was third-and-13, people were shaking in their boots.

Q: The Mud Bowl?

A: Heartbreak of heartbreaks. If it wasn't for (Dolphins coach Don) Shula not covering the field and taking away our speed ... nobody ran on us. Coming back (from Miami), I remember (coach) Walt Michaels being so mad at Richard (Todd) for throwing hangers. "Joe [Namath] woulda never did that [five interceptions]." He was venting.

Q: Your reaction when Michaels was fired weeks later?

A: Couldn't believe it. A bad move.

Q: Why didn't Joe Walton work out?

A: He was a control freak. Wanted to control every aspect of the game on and off the field. He wanted a bunch of choir boys.

Q: Your first Jet training camp (1977)?

A: I remember being scared ... and I wasn't gonna take no prisoners.

Q: Michaels again?

A: We were playing Cleveland and Chuck Ramsey punted about 20 yards. I remember Walt saying, "Our goddamn punter. I can fart further than he can punt!" He reminded me of my dad. I remember playing Little League baseball. We won the game because I hit a home run, and after the game he said: "Why'd you boot that ball at short?" Walt was a tough, old bird.

Q: You never needed a pat on the back?

A: Sack the quarterback? That was your job!

Q: Your ruptured patella tendon in 1982 in Foxboro?

A: We were winning the game pretty big (31-7 final) and (defensive line coach Dan) Sekanovich took me out. I put myself back in because they scored.

Q: The night three years ago when the Jets retired your No. 73?

A: My three little ones (Gabrielle, 14; Joshua, 13; Mary Kate, 10) were there. Joshua said: "Dad, I didn't realize you had so many friends." There were 80,000 people screaming. When he said that, it kinda dawned on me: "There's a relationship there with all the fans." Nobody left to get drinks. It was pretty cool.

Q: What's it like watching your son, Dan, play for the Patriots and now the Colts?

A: Awesome. Is he me as a football player? Maybe no. But he's probably 10 times better than me as a person.

Q: Your son Michael?

A: Michael is a crane operator and the perfect big brother. I was an All-Pro football player, Michael is an All-Pro son.

Q: You ended your career in 1988 with the Colts.

A: Selfish move on my part because Joe Walton and I weren't getting along. The Jets released me medically. I had a problem with that.

Q: Toughest opponents?

A: Dwight Stephenson at center; John Hannah at guard; Anthony Munoz at tackle.

Q: Sandlot football with the Ashton Knights?

A: We were going by bus to play the Hartford Black Knights, my first away game. They all wanted to know who wanted what for liquor after the game. This guy gets a pint of this and a quart of this ... I was 18 years old.

Q: How rough were the games?

A: They would gang up on you if you were any good. But I don't want to make it sound like it was dirty football.

Q: Sparring with Joe Frazier?

A: I was the token white boy in the gym there.

Q: Did he throw his vaunted left hook?

A: He stopped it right next to my head. I never saw it coming. I saw my life flash in front of my face. He laughed. Everybody else laughed, too. It was enough to make me walk out of the ring.

Q: Chester, Pa., your hometown?

A: A little bit better than The Bronx. Tough neighborhood. I used to get in a lot of fights walking home from school. My dad would beat my butt for losing.

Q: You always liked cars.

A: I was a hot-rodder around the streets of Philly.

Q: You played a truck driver in Burt Reynolds' "Smokey and the Bandit II."

A: Jackie Gleason wouldn't talk to me ... he was a tough guy ... until Burt introduced me to him and broke the ice. I was doing a scene on a bridge sitting in the truck and my arm was out the window and (country singer) Jerry Reed broke the silence: "Does that thing have a heart, lungs, liver and breathe?" (Chuckles).

Q: You were also in "Cannonball Run."

A: They actually needed a Polish racing team.

Q: And "Heat."

A: I was a bodyguard.

Q: Boyhood idol?

A: John Wayne.

Q: Football idol?

A: Merlin Olsen.

Q: Favorite childhood memory?

A: Twelve years old - receiving an electric car set for Christmas. We didn't really have any money. It was very rare we'd get an extra-special gift.

Q: Three dinner guests?

A: The Pope; Walt Michaels; my father.

Q: Favorite movie?

A: "It's A Wonderful Life."

Q: Favorite actor?

A: Steve McQueen.

Q: Favorite actress?

A: Sally Field.

Q: Favorite entertainer?

A: Redd Foxx.

Q: Favorite meal?

A: Pierogi.

Q: Your legacy?

A: I always want to be remembered as a really, really tough football player.

SERBY'S SUNDAY Q&A WITH...

JOE KLECKO

Q: Why didn't Joe Walton work out?

A: He was a control freak. Wanted to control every aspect of the game on and off the field. He wanted a bunch of choir boys.

Sound familiar?

Q: Toughest opponents?

A: Dwight Stephenson at center; John Hannah at guard; Anthony Munoz at tackle.

How many guys from the D line can legitimately pick a C, G and T as toughest?

Q: Three dinner guests?

A: The Pope; Walt Michaels; my father.

Guess he really didn't like that Joe Walton move. I know how he feels.

Archived