Belichick vs. Martel Van Zant?

R44

One of the best stories in the draft could be Oklahoma State cornerback Martel Van Zant, who is severely hearing impaired.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/the_bonus/11/08/van.zant/index.html

Barring something unforeseen, he probably figures as a 7th round pick or, more likely, a free agent. Either way, he's very gifted and deserves a shot to play in the N.F.L.

Van Zant will probably need someone who specializes in sign language to send in the defensive signals from the sidelines, if he does make it.

I hate to ask this question, but: Will some team need to have 3 sign language experts on the sidelines for games? 1 giving the true signals and 2 decoys at all times to fend off other coaches looking to steal signals?

P.S: I'm rooting for Van Zant to make it and there is precedent that he can play in the N.F.L. with his handicap -- Broncos had a DE from Nebraska (Kenny Walker?) play for them in the 1990's.

One of the best stories in the draft could be Oklahoma State cornerback Martel Van Zant, who is severely hearing impaired.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/the_bonus/11/08/van.zant/index.html

Barring something unforeseen, he probably figures as a 7th round pick or, more likely, a free agent. Either way, he's very gifted and deserves a shot to play in the N.F.L.

Van Zant will probably need someone who specializes in sign language to send in the defensive signals from the sidelines, if he does make it.

I hate to ask this question, but: Will some team need to have 3 sign language experts on the sidelines for games? 1 giving the true signals and 2 decoys at all times to fend off other coaches looking to steal signals?

P.S: I'm rooting for Van Zant to make it and there is precedent that he can play in the N.F.L. with his handicap -- Broncos had a DE from Nebraska (Kenny Walker?) play for them in the 1990's.

I was actually thinking of Kenny Walker when I saw this thread. He actually had a pretty good couple of years for the Broncos. I believe he started quite a bit for them. Not sure what happened to him but after starting there he just fell off of the face of the earth and landed in Canada.

Max, he probably could try safety. He's a good player, although (as an aside) I think O.S.U. junior Jacob Lacey might be a better CB....

Joe Willy, I'm sure Herm would find non-verbal ways to annoy this kid, like he does everybody else.... ~joking~

Alk, I actually tried to google Kenny Walker, once I saw this Van Zant story and can find zero -- he really has disappeared, which is surprising since he was a N.F.L. poineer, of sorts.

But again, don't mean to pick on Belly, but are N.F.L. sorts so sleazy, that a team with Van Zant would have to hire extra side language experts (as decoys) to protect from sign stealing?

Alk, I actually tried to google Kenny Walker, once I saw this Van Zant story and can find zero -- he really has disappeared, which is surprising since he was a N.F.L. poineer, of sorts.

The last I heard he took a coaching job at the Iowa School for the Deaf. I'm surprised how fast he fell out of the NFL. He had a couple decent years with the Broncos even starting in alot of games then he's just out. I would have thought another team would have picked him up. I remember watching him at Nebraska though. Incredible player.

But again, don't mean to pick on Belly, but are N.F.L. sorts so sleazy, that a team with Van Zant would have to hire extra side language experts (as decoys) to protect from sign stealing?

Actually everybody tries to steal signs, BB got in trouble for how he went about it. And teams do sometimes employ decoys, but most of the time they just change the signs from week to week.

But the defenses already employ signs, that won't be any different. In the huddle, the players will have to employ signs instead of audible, but those should be easy to hide.

Really should be a non-issue during the game.

In practice when the coach is shouting out stuff, it will be more of a communication issue, and that is solvable too.

In fact he should be better at dealing with sideline signals than the rest of the players.

Some teams will shy away because of the issue, but a smart team will pick him up for a bargain.

Max, he probably could try safety. He's a good player, although (as an aside) I think O.S.U. junior Jacob Lacey might be a better CB....

Joe Willy, I'm sure Herm would find non-verbal ways to annoy this kid, like he does everybody else.... ~joking~

:rl: great post r44...........hope you've been keeping well

Thanks Joe Willy, always a pleasure to read your posts....

Hoodie, that's a great screen name.....Also, I'm not sure what I was thinking, he's not blind, so he'll just learn the signals like everyone else and it could be a benefit at CB, as he won't have to deal as much with taunting and trash talking....

Alk, good update. I remember having a Kenny Walker football card (Broncos)....It was sort of weird, because latter round picks didn't usually get rookie cards, but he did due to his uplifting story...And he was a great player at Nebraska....

It took me about 5 minutes to remember the great Huskers' DE/OLB that played with him then, but I just did Mike Croel (sp?)....

One of the greatest college players of all time, but an absolute flop in the N.F.L (was a Top 5 pick).....things got so bad for him, he played in the World League just hoping to catching on in the N.F.L.

What would be difficult is understanding defensive audibles on the field... I mean communication is so important out there and being deaf makes that pretty difficult.

Yes, that's a good point, unless he's become very good at lip-reading.

At the very least, he could start out on special teams. You'd hate to so anyone not get a chance to play due to a handicap that doesn't hinder their physical ability to perform, however.

Archived