Jets News Articles- Merry Christmas

Kentucky Jet

Edwards returns a Chief

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

It ended ugly, even Herman Edwards will admit that. It was as ugly as it gets in a nasty game of he said, he said that resulted in Edwards leaving the Jets to become head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs in January 2006. The Jets received a fourth-round pick as compensation after several days of acrimonious negotiations.

The sordid details remain sketchy. Edwards said he was never asked to return as coach, and although he wanted a contract extension despite coming off a 4-12 season, he never gave the Jets an ultimatum. The Jets said Edwards made it clear he wanted to go to Kansas City, and with owner Woody Johnson having grown weary of Edwards' unhappiness with his contract, the club was willing to oblige him.

Nonetheless, Edwards insists he's not bitter and thinks back with a smile and sense of accomplishment on his five-year tenure as the Jets coach. He says he's forever grateful to the Jets.

"I wish it could've ended better but it didn't," Edwards told The Star-Ledger from his office in Kansas City. "There were reasons why it happened that way. I know what happened. But all of that is over. It's been two years now. I enjoyed it there. It just didn't work out.

"We had some good years and bad years but that's part of football. Obviously, you wish you could've won more games. But that was my first NFL job as a head coach. I owe the Jets organization a lot. I still root for those guys. A part of me will always be a New York Jet."

Edwards, the first coach in Jets history to lead the team to the playoffs in three of his first four seasons, will return to Giants Stadium on Sunday when his Chiefs (4-11) meet the Jets (3-12). It will be the first time he has returned to Giants Stadium for a regular-season game (Kansas City played the Giants in the preseason last year) and the first time he has faced his former team.

"I'm excited," said Edwards, who compiled a 39-41 regular-season mark, a 2-3 postseason record and was a Doug Brien missed field goal away from the 2004 AFC Championship Game. "I'm going to see a bunch of the players and people in the organization. That'll be fun."

Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis, who played five seasons under Edwards, is one of 18 players still on the roster from Edwards' days as coach.

"It'll be good to see Herm again," Ellis said. "It was great playing for him. He's a good coach. I have a lot of respect for him. He's a good person, first of all. He's someone you can look up to. ... I was disappointed when he left. But at the same time, he had to do what was best for him."

Edwards switched right guard Brandon Moore from defensive tackle to the offensive line during a 2003 training camp conversation in which Moore thought he was about to get cut.

"Herm gave me my start and I'm standing here talking to you because of it," Moore said. "I don't get into someone being a player's coach because it has a negative connotation. But Herm knew how to motivate guys. Guys loved playing for him. He took care of us. Guys loved him for that. And we won."

Edwards, the son of a career Army man, takes umbrage to talk that he ran a country club and his teams were undisciplined. He said a rash of injuries, including 11 starters, was the reason for the Jets' dismal finish in his final season, not a lack of discipline.

"We were always one of the least penalized teams in the league and among the leaders in fewest turnovers," Edwards said. "My players hardly ever had any off-the-field problems (except for DE John Abraham). I'm a very disciplined person. My whole life has been about discipline.

"I deal with my players a little differently. I give respect and my players respect me. At the end of the day, it's all about winning and we won. I did it my way and I'm proud of that."

After leading the Chiefs to the playoffs in his first season (one of only five coaches to do that with two teams), Edwards, like Eric Mangini, has fallen on hard times. The Chiefs have lost eight straight, equaling the franchise mark set in 1987, and their 2-6 home record is the worst since 1977.

At the Chiefs' home finale two weeks ago, fans showed up at Arrowhead Stadium wearing paper bags over their heads and calling for the firing of Edwards and team president Carl Peterson. That Tuesday, the fiery Edwards said fans need to "get over it." Losing, he said, is part of life and it happens to everybody.

Fans were outraged. Edwards issued an apology the next day.

"I just think my comments were taken out of context," said Edwards. "We have great fans. They're frustrated. We're having a disappointing season."

In Kansas City, Edwards has endured some of the same criticism he faced with the Jets regarding clock management and in-game decisions. His detractors continue to say he's not a great game-planner.

The real problem, though, is Edwards has an aging football team. The offensive line, once the Chiefs' strength, is now its biggest weakness, with Pro Bowl left guard Will Shields and Pro Bowl left tackle Willie Roaf having retired. Second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle is learning on the fly and running back Larry Johnson (foot) has missed seven games. The Chiefs rank 29th in the NFL in total offense, last in rushing and 30th in points per game (14.4).

Defensively, Kansas City, ranks 13th in the league, has a solid nucleus with Pro Bowl defensive end Jared Allen and linebacker Derrick Johnson. They need help in the secondary.

"It's a similar situation to the Jets in which I inherited a good, veteran team and you're trying to change the philosophy," Edwards said. "Now, we have to rebuild."

Personally, Edwards said he couldn't be happier. He and his wife, Lia, have two little girls and his son, Marcus, is on the Chiefs' scouting staff. He's back with the organization that gave him his first coaching job.

"My wife and my family love it here," Edwards said. "I met my wife here. Kansas City isn't as fast as New York, but we enjoy it. The fans are great. It's a great venue to play football. Again, I wish things had ended differently in New York but at the end of the day, it worked out for everybody."

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 Eric Mangini gushes over Laveranues Coles, but mum on receiver's future

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, December 25th 2007, 4:00 AM

The Jets took a hard-line stance with former LG Pete Kendall because they wanted to set a precedent against players pining for new contracts.

Result: An ugly divorce.

Now one of those players, WR Laveranues Coles, apparently is pushing for a sweeter deal. Will the Jets give him the Kendall treatment or will they pay up?

Eric Mangini, citing team policy, declined Monday to discuss Coles' contract situation. But he gushed about Coles, using several superlatives to describe him as a player and leader. Mangini said he shared those thoughts with Coles last week when they met before he was placed on injured reserve with a high-ankle sprain.

"I can just say how strongly I feel about Laveranues," Mangini said.

Coles, addressing his future after Sunday's 10-6 loss in Tennessee, acknowledged that he wants to renegotiate. He's believed to be seeking a long-term contract with guaranteed money. He has two years and $11 million remaining on his current deal, none of it guaranteed.

Thing is, the Jets renegotiated Coles' contract in 2005, when they reacquired him from the Redskins. If they do it again, it could upset other players who have outperformed their current deals, namely S Kerry Rhodes and TE Chris Baker. But the Jets may have hurt their leverage earlier in the season by renegotiating with RG Brandon Moore, who had four years left.

Coles, saying talks are in the preliminary stages, expressed optimism that an agreement can be reached. He vowed not to let it get ugly. If things fall apart, it wouldn't be a shock if Coles requests a trade.

MAN OF MYSTERY: Predictably, Mangini declined to name the starting quarterback for the season finale against the Chiefs, although all signs point to Kellen Clemens' return.

"He made a lot of progress last week, which is why he was at the No.2 spot (against the Titans)," Mangini said.

Clemens is battling rib and left-shoulder injuries. Mangini wants to see how Clemens handles the increased practice reps before making a decision. If Clemens can't go, it'll be Chad Pennington for the second straight game.

Mangini explains Graham de-activation

By Craig Thomas

Posted Dec 25, 2007

In a surprising move, Jets punter Ben Graham was inactive for the team's game last Sunday against the Titans. Punting in his place was rookie Jeremy Kapinos. Eric Mangini was asked on Monday why Graham was on the sideline in street clothes.

"That was a coach's decision," said Mangini.

JETS

Jets hope for happy ending

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

There's a word that can't be found in any dictionary because, well, it's not really a word. But any longtime Jets' fan will know the meaning of it instantly.

Kotitian. As in, of or like the two-year regime of former coach Rich Kotite. Well, one more loss and the Jets will have completed their worst season since that span, when they went 3-13 in 1995 and 1-15 in 1996. The closest they've come since then was in 2005, when they won their season finale over Buffalo in what turned out to be Herm Edwards' last game as coach. That victory enabled the Jets to finish at 4-12.

And who is the opponent this week? Coincidentally, Edwards and his 4-11 Kansas City Chiefs, who also are finishing up a season they'd like to forget. Kansas City has lost eight straight games.

Of course, the current Jets aren't concerned about where they stand in relation to disappointing Jets' seasons of the past. They just want a victory.

"We still want to finish the season out," fourth-year pro Jerricho Cotchery said Sunday after the Jets' loss to Tennessee, "and we owe it to each other to try to get a win.

"I don't think playing Kansas City will add any spice to the game," Cotchery added when asked about Edwards. "We're trying to get a win. It doesn't matter that we aren't going to the playoffs because we're just trying to get a win. We fought [against Tennessee] and we're going to continue to fight and hopefully we can get a win going into the off-season."

Brandon Moore appreciates what Edwards did for his career. Moore was a defensive lineman in college, but Edwards believed he had a better chance to become an NFL player as an offensive lineman. Moore has started at right guard for the Jets for the past four seasons.

"I owe a lot to him," Moore said of Edwards.

Quarterback Chad Pennington said, "It will be good to see [Edwards]. I haven't seen him in a long time. I imagine it's going to be a really physical, intense game. ... I think both teams will play extremely hard."

But will Pennington play? Coach Eric Mangini declined Monday to name a starting quarterback for the finale, which has been moved to 4:15 p.m. But he said that [Kellen] Clemens (ribs/left shoulder) "made a lot of progress last week. ... We'll see how he does this week and make a decision later in the week."

Clemens was the No. 2 quarterback Sunday, so barring a setback, it appears he will start the finale. It will be interesting to see what the offensive line in front of him looks like, considering Mangini used eight different players on that unit against Tennessee. Rookies Robert Turner (left guard) and Clint Oldenburg (right tackle) both got significant time despite never having played an NFL snap before Sunday. Mangini again defended that questionable move Monday.

"The [six] sacks we gave up were a group effort," he said. "It wasn't a function of just those two guys at all. There were multiple guys involved with that production. It's not just the offensive line, it's the whole group needing to do a better job. ... At every position we play different combinations of people. I don't think these were all communication errors. Some were just outstanding efforts on [Kyle] Vanden Bosch's part, or whoever it was, as opposed to some sort of communication breakdown."

BRIEFS: Mangini confirmed that he spoke with wide receiver Laveranues Coles before he was placed on injured reserve, to thank him "for all that he did this year on the field and off the field." Coles indicated Sunday that preliminary contract renegotiations already have begun, but Mangini declined to comment on that, saying it was an "internal matter."

Coles' contract runs through 2009 and he is owed a total of $11 million over those two seasons, although the money is not guaranteed. Coles indicated that he is seeking more security and that he wants to finish his career as a Jet. He also said, "I don't ever want to have a situation like Pete Kendall did with the organization," referring to Kendall's messy divorce from the Jets in the preseason.

Running game: F

Yes, Thomas Jones crawled past the 1,000-yard barrier for the season, but he managed only 2.8 yards a carry as the offensive line failed to generate any kind of a push and Jones wasn't able to make anyone miss. Leon Washington had only one carry for 5 yards.

Passing game: C-minus

Chad Pennington's completions (26) and yardage (264) both were good, but two interceptions were responsible for a 10-point swing. Of course, it didn't help that he was under siege most of the day as he was sacked six times. Jerricho Cotchery had eight receptions for 152 yards and topped the 1,000-yard mark.

Run defense: B

The Jets kept Vince Young from making plays with his feet, but LenDale White did pound out 103 yards at 4.5 yards per carry. Still, backup NT Sione Pouha had eight tackles as the Jets didn't allow any game-breaking runs.

Pass defense: B-minus

David Barrett notched his first interception of the season on a terrific over-the-shoulder catch, and David Harris, Victor Hobson and David Bowens all had sacks. Harris' sack resulted in a fumble recovery by Dewayne Robertson. But CB Hank Poteat was beaten by Justin Gage on a 29-yard pass that set up the Titans' TD.

Special teams: D-plus

Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson let Antwan Odom slip between them to block a second-quarter PAT that would have tied the score. Washington let too many punts bounce in front of him and roll dead, costing the Jets yards. Rookie Jeremy Kapinos was satisfactory on punts, but wasn't a huge upgrade, at least in this game, over Ben Graham.

Coaching: C-minus

Eric Mangini decided it would be a good game in which to audition two former practice-squadders on the offensive line, thus damaging the continuity. The Jets' offensive game plan wasn't anything special, but at least it played to Pennington's strengths. The defensive plan of keeping Young in the pocket was executed quite well.

-- J.P. Pelzman

CHIEFS PULSE

Kansas City Looks to Finish the Season on a Winning Note Against the N.Y. Jets

Dec 25, 2007, 2:19:45 AM by Pete Moris

Chiefs-Jets Opening Salvos

The Chiefs are seeking to win their first regular season finale on the road since registering a 31-24 win at Oakland (12/26/98). Two of the Jets three wins have come against Miami (1-14). New York

CHAD TO SEE A GO

PENNINGTON NEARS END OF JET CAREER FOND FAREWELL? Chad Pennington regained his job as Jets starting quarterback when Kellen Clemens was injured two weeks ago against the Patriots, but Sunday's 10-6 loss to the Titans may have been Pennington's final game with Gang Green.

December 25, 2007 -- IN the aftermath of the Jets' 10-6 loss to the Titans Sunday, Chad Pennington, who had been sacked six times and hit numerous others behind a musical-chairs offensive line, stood before a handful of reporters and hardly wore the look of a battered and defeated man.

Pennington, as fierce a competitor as you'll meet, has endured his fair share of devastating defeats during his career as the Jets' starting quarterback, but this wasn't one of them.

Make no mistake: Pennington wasn't happy about losing 10-6 to the Titans, or about his role in the loss, throwing one interception that led to Tennessee's only touchdown and another in the end zone that cost the Jets crucial points.

But aside from "two throws I'd like to have back," Pennington said he felt like he played well. He even joked about following that first pick with a 48-yard post pass to Jerricho Cotchery.

"That's why I felt like I had to come back and throw that post route, so you guys wouldn't get on me about arm strength again," he said.

Indeed, there was a different air about Pennington after this loss - an air almost of relief that this nightmare is almost over.

The season.

And his career as a Jet.

Make no mistake, Pennington has loved being a Jet. It's just that, based on Eric Mangini's actions, it's pretty clear Pennington no longer is seen as the Jets' future (or even present) at quarterback.

Pennington, ever the realist, knows he likely has made his last start as a Jet. Kellen Clemens is almost certain to be ready to play Sunday's season finale against the Chiefs at Giants Stadium.

Pennington, too, knows it's time to move on - though he's under contract for next season at a salary of $4.8 million. The Jets, after all, cannot carry a backup at that price and, if asked to take a second pay cut in three years, Pennington is sure to demand his release.

And therein lies the dilemma for Mangini.

In his six-plus starts, Clemens hasn't shown nearly enough to prove he can be the starter in 2008.

But if the Jets think they can go into next season committed to Clemens as the starter, trade away Pennington and bring in some veteran like Rex Grossman or Brian Griese as backup, there is no way they're making themselves a better team doing that.

Even for those who don't believe in Pennington as the answer, it'll be a difficult sell to Jets fans if they move him and bring in some journeyman as insurance in case Clemens can't cut it.

Pennington is still a winning, playoff-caliber quarterback who, with a good supporting cast around him, is an above-average player. He, too, intimately knows the Jets' offensive system.

No matter, though. Pennington, who reads the writing on the tea leaves, has been talking like a player who not only knows he's not going to be here, but also isn't all that unhappy about it.

After the game, Pennington sounded very much like a player on his way out. He was even asked if he felt like he was auditioning for his next team during Sunday's game.

"I don't think anybody across the league will just look at one game," he said. "They want to look at a body of work, because they don't want a one-game wonder."

Pennington then went on to list the things he believes teams are looking for in a quarterback.

"You look for consistency, how they lead the team, how they manage the game," he said, not coincidentally naming his own strengths. "I don't think one game is necessarily an audition. They look at the body of work."

But isn't Pennington concerned that the perception is he was benched with the Jets at 1-7 because he wasn't playing well?

"Whatever the perception is now, the film will reveal reality later when teams do all their evaluations and look at it," he said. "The film will reveal the reality."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

COTCHERY'S PLAY PLEASES MANGINI

By MARK CANNIZZARO

December 25, 2007 -- There wasn't much to smile about after the Jets lost their 12th game in 15 tries Sunday in Nashville.

But when a reporter brought up Jerricho Cotchery's name to Eric Mangini, the Jet smiled.

"He's just a model of consistency," Mangini said of the Jets leading receiver, who after eight catches for 152 yards and a touchdown Sunday, eclipsed 1,000 yards receiving for the second consecutive season. "He's a very impressive guy, a guy I'm very happy to have on this team."

Cotchery, who has played the past two games with a broken finger, leads the Jets with 74 receptions for 1,054 receiving yards and two touchdowns this season.

"I wanted to do better than I did last year, step it up another level, and I think for the most part I've done that," the humble Cotchery said. "But I still have a lot to work on."

The Jets used more offensive line combinations in Sunday's game than some teams use in a season. Eight different offensive lineman played against the Titans, and the results were hardly good, with Chad Pennington sacked six times and the running game averaging 2.8 yards per carry.

Adrien Clarke, who started the first 14 games at left guard, was banished to the inactive list Sunday and Will Montgomery started.

Montgomery rotated with Robert Turner, who played his first NFL game.

Four different players have spent time at LG, Pete Kendall's old position before he was traded away before the season.

At right tackle, Anthony Clement, who was steamrolled on a bull rush on one sack, was benched in favor of Clint Oldenburg for one series and Oldenburg nearly got Pennington decapitated before Clement was reinserted. It was Oldenburg's first NFL action.

There were quite a few rolled eyes from players in the locker room when asked about the shuffle.

"Ask Eric about that," RG Brandon Moore said. "I don't have an answer for that. I'm just out there trying to do my job."

GETTING DEFENSIVE

December 25, 2007 -- QUARTERBACKS C

Chad Pennington (26-32, 264 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT, 85.4 rating) moved the offense between the 20s, but threw a killer pick in the end zone. His first pick led to the Titans' TD.

RUNNING BACKS D

Thomas Jones (21-58 rushing, 3-5 receiv ing) ran hard but kept hitting a wall of de fenders. Leon Washington (1-5, 2-2) was a non-factor.

WIDE RECEIVERS C+

Jerricho Cotchery (8-152, TD) made big yards after some catches. Brad Smith (5-45) had another big drop. Justin McCa reins (2-9) was invisible against his former team.

TIGHT ENDS C+

Chris Baker (4-40) continues to make ac robatic catches and prove he has the best hands on the team. Joe Kowalewski (2-11) contributed. The run blocking wasn't good enough.

OFFENSIVE LINE F

Eight different linemen played, including a first start for Will Montgomery at LG, where Adrien Clarke was benched, and unmemor able NFL debuts from LG Turner Rob Turner and RT Clint Oldenburg. RG Brandon Moore was called for a killer personal foul. Run blocking was abysmal and Pennington was sacked six times.

DEFENSIVE LINE B-

DE Kenyon Coleman had nine tackles, DT Sioni Pouha (career-high eight tackles) was very active. NT Dewayne Robertson (four tackles, fumble recovery) was pushed around and the Titans burst through too often for big gains.

LINEBACKERS B

David Harris had eight tackles, a sack and a forced fumble. Victor Hobson and David Bowens each had a sack. Bryan Thomas was again invisible in the pass rush.

SECONDARY B

CB David Barrett had an INT and two tackles. S Abram Elam had seven tackles. CB Hank Poteat had five tackles, but got beat on one long pass.

SPECIAL TEAMS C

Washington (22-yard average) wasn't a key in the kickoff return game. He had one 15-yard punt return, but let two other punts hit the ground, losing field position.

KICKING GAME D

K Mike Nugent had a PAT blocked when D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold allowed a crease in protection. He also missed a 51-yard FG way wide left. P Jeremy Kapinos averaged 41.6 yards (36.4 net) in his NFL debut for benched Ben Graham.

COACHING C

Credit Eric Mangini and the defensive staff for another good plan. Hated the Brian Schottenheimer call for a pitch to Jones on a key third-and-1 that went for a loss. At least that ghastly Brad Smith option series was ditched.

Ex-Jets coach Herm Edwards won't revisit shadowy departure

BY RICH CIMINI and GARY MYERS

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Tuesday, December 25th 2007, 4:00 AM

Riedel/AP

Herm Edwards is 13-18 in two seasons with the Chiefs after going 39-41 in five seasons with the Jets (below).

Cataffo/News

Al Groh bolted for a college job. Bill Belichick was in such a rush to quit that he scribbled his resignation as "HC of the NYJ" on a sheet of loose-leaf paper. Bill Parcells retired (ha!). Rich Kotite didn't resign and wasn't fired; officially, he "stepped aside."

There have been many clumsy separations over the years for the Jets and their coaches, but the most mysterious departure belongs to Herm Edwards - a shadowy chapter that will be revisited this week with the Chiefs (4-11) coming to town for a meaningless season finale against the Jets (3-12) Sunday at the Meadowlands.

"I wish it hadn't ended with all the smokescreens and all that stuff," Edwards told the Daily News from his office in Kansas City. "Time heals a lot of wounds. I never had any animosity against anybody. I know what happened and why it happened. The public will never know exactly what happened. It's not for them to know. A decision was made and it was best for both parties. I carry that to my grave."

Edwards was released from his contract after the 2005 season, only six weeks after owner Woody Johnson professed his "love" for him. There are many different versions of what happened. This much can't be disputed: A once-happy marriage went bad in a hurry.

Essentially, Edwards dropped hints about desiring a contract extension, and the Jets, coming off a 4-12 season, didn't want to re-up for a coach who had two years remaining on his deal. Some in the organization were miffed by his public flirtation with the Chiefs, and soon there were rumors circulating around Weeb Ewbank Hall about the possibility of hiring then-Patriots assistant Eric Mangini - speculation that, no doubt, irked Edwards.

The Jets wound up with a fourth-round pick as compensation from Kansas City, which they used to select Leon Washington, who was voted this year's team MVP. At the time of the divorce, a Jets official said they "stole" the pick from the Chiefs, implying that Edwards was going to get fired anyway. The public perception, though, is that an unhappy Edwards orchestrated his ouster.

"Everyone doesn't have all the information," said Edwards, declining to offer juicy details. "I know in my heart of hearts I did nothing wrong. I know that. Whether people believe me or not. ... People who know what I'm about, they know what kind of person I am. That's all that matters."

Edwards is proud of his record with the Jets. He finished a mediocre 39-41 in five seasons, but there were three postseason appearances and two playoff victories. In Kansas City, his two-year mark is 13-18 with one playoff berth - the same numbers Mangini has compiled with the Jets.

"We never got to the big game, but one thing I can say is the players always played to their talent level," Edwards said. "That's all you can do. We didn't embarrass anybody."

Edwards had "a good five-year run," according to GM Mike Tannenbaum, saying the former coach "did a lot of positive things for the organization." Edwards insisted he harbors no bitterness toward the Jets, saying he respects Johnson for giving him his first head coaching job.

Both sides took the high road, but it would be na

Archived