Good year for corners....

CoachTsurfing

I hope this article is true. It would really take the pressure off of the Jets to select a cb with their first pick.

As proven by the Senior Bowl, this is a relatively decent year for corners. Ikegwuonu, a junior (so obviously not a part of Senior Bowl week), was moving higher and higher on the draft charts, even with past off-the-field baggage to overcome, before a torn up knee in a workout changed all that. With his speed, coverage skills and tackling ability, he appeared ready to become one of the hot prospects going into the Combines, but now he has to undergo surgery for his torn ACL.

Terrence Wheatley, CB Colorado & DeJuan Tribble, CB Boston College

Senior Bowl week was a big chance for Wheatley and Tribble to shine, but, at best, they graded out as an incomplete. Wheatley showed the athleticism to be close to coming up big, but he failed to stand out when a big play needed to be made. Tribble had even bigger problems, struggling against the big, physical Adarius Bowman, and having even more issues on when pressed on deep balls.

I got this from yahoo sports.

This seems to be a deep draft for many of the key spots we are lacking. Unfortunately it seems a little weak for the NT spot.

This would be a surprise move IMO, but one that could be easily justified. I feel fairly confident with Bowens on one side, a second round rookie on the other creating pressure.

With the players we are (seemingly) trying to unload I'd imagine us landing a few more picks in the second and third rounds. We should be able to fill a lot of gaps.

The year we got D-rob I remember there were 5 or 6 nt taken in the first round. we traded up to get the best one. I think all but d-rob and one other have stunk. and d-rob isn't far from smelling unpleasant. Honestly d-rob is average, but taking him fourth you'd expect a lot more. That's why you never draft on just combine numbers. With talk of the Phins trading their first pick to dallas, Dorsey might fall and Ellis might be available. I just don't think either one of them will be the right guy for us. What about Okam from texas? think he will make it to the second or thirs round?

I hope we get a corner in the top three rounds. Revis needs some help. Cromartie seemed to have a good game, but that might have moved him up from the second round.

Most drafts are weak for NT, particularly for the 3-4. Hardest position to fill (with a stud) in the NFL.

True. But it only takes one and there seem to be a few promising prospects in Dre Moore and Red Bryant (among other, albeit smaller, DT/NT prospects).

True. But it only takes one and there seem to be a few promising prospects in Dre Moore and Red Bryant (among other, albeit smaller, DT/NT prospects).

My point is only that when one is available we have to grab him without worrying about "reaching" a little. Absent that position being filled properly & a NT requiring double-teams approaching 100% of the snaps, the defense will never work properly & negates so much of the advantage that a 3-4 defense is supposed to give.

Whichever one they like - Rubin, Bryant, etc. If they're projected from round 2 to round 3, we may have to suck it up & grab him in round 2. If round 3 comes around & the top 2-3 NT's are already off the board, Tannenbaum should be shot.

I don't know much about Moore, I'll be honest. But is he really a fit at 6'4/310? At that height he really could use an extra 15-20 lbs. That's more concerning to me than someone like Bryant needing an extra 5-10 lbs. What am I missing, or do I just have bad #'s?

My point is only that when one is available we have to grab him without worrying about "reaching" a little. Absent that position being filled properly & a NT requiring double-teams approaching 100% of the snaps, the defense will never work properly & negates so much of the advantage that a 3-4 defense is supposed to give.

Whichever one they like - Rubin, Bryant, etc. If they're projected from round 2 to round 3, we may have to suck it up & grab him in round 2. If round 3 comes around & the top 2-3 NT's are already off the board, Tannenbaum should be shot.

I don't know much about Moore, I'll be honest. But is he really a fit at 6'4/310? At that height he really could use an extra 15-20 lbs. That's more concerning to me than someone like Bryant needing an extra 5-10 lbs. What am I missing, or do I just have bad #'s?

I agree and I wouldn't even mind giving up a lot to move up and take Dorsey.

By the year 2010 we'll have 4 pro bowlers playing in the secondary and our defense will still suck because the undersized front 7 playing in the wrong scheme won't be able to pressure the QB or stop the run.

Hopefully Mangini will learn to pick players that actually play the 3-4. Our luck though is we will get the right personel, Mangini will get fired and then the new coach will switch back and we will have to start all over again.

Hopefully Mangini will learn to pick players that actually play the 3-4. Our luck though is we will get the right personel, Mangini will get fired and then the new coach will switch back and we will have to start all over again.

I've been worried about the same thing. one positive of going from 34 to 43, at least we would have 3 big bodies to shuffle in at those two DT positions...Then again, we waste a middle linebacker...

either way, it sucks going between the two formations.

I think Ellis is more of a one gapper. A concept Peter North has yet to grasp.

i love how you see dementions and assume that a player cannot learn to play a certain format. You'd be a guy that would pass up mario williams cause he doesn't really fit the 34.

Your analysis of D-linemen is pretty funny to read, so keep it up.

:shake:

i love how you see dementions and assume that a player cannot learn to play a certain format. You'd be a guy that would pass up mario williams cause he doesn't really fit the 34.

Your analysis of D-linemen is pretty funny to read, so keep it up.

:shake:

It's not funny, it's a fact and I liked Mario Williams coming out and I would have drafted him as either a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE because he has the power, and Size to play either. Keep up your 5th grade analysis of players though so I can keep teaching you about the game of football.

It's not funny, it's a fact and I liked Mario Williams coming out and I would have drafted him as either a 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE because he has the power, and Size to play either. Keep up your 5th grade analysis of players though so I can keep teaching you about the game of football.

yes professor. :rl:

Archived