The Great American Race

Maxman

Busch and Stewart exchange bumps, words at Daytona

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=3237789

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR chairman Brian France kicked off the 2008 media tour in Charlotte, N.C., last month by saying Sprint Cup drivers needed to show more of their personalities.

Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart obliged on Friday night.

Two of NASCAR's most controversial characters got into a sheet metal exchange on pit road after an on-the-track incident that wrecked both of their cars in the final practice for Saturday's Budweiser Shootout at Daytona International Speedway.

Both drivers immediately were summoned to the NASCAR hauler to meet with Series director John Darby and competition director Robin Pemberton. They will meet again on Saturday before the governing body determines what fines, if any, will be issued.

The only words spoken by either driver -- both left through a side door without commenting -- came from Busch before entering the hauler.

"It's a great way to start off 2008," he said, clapping his hands together.

It was more like the way NASCAR started the 1979 season, when Bobby and Donnie Allison got into a fight with Cale Yarborough in the infield grass following an altercation on the last lap of the Daytona 500 to spark national interest in the sport.

"This is the NASCAR everybody fell in love with," said NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter, playing off France's back-to-the-basics theme. "Emotions run high."

Hunter said what happened showed the fine line between letting drivers be themselves and crossing the line where safety becomes an issue.

"It's going to be difficult as a matter of fact," he said on how NASCAR would handle such situations. "Professional race drivers need to control their emotions when they're in the racecar. And we've shown in the past that we'll do whatever we need to do to make sure they do. After tomorrow's meeting we'll see where we are."

Hunter said the history of the drivers would not be a factor in any fines. Busch was fined $100,000 and docked 100 championship points in June after sending Stewart into a barrier at Dover and nearly hitting a member of Stewart's crew making additional contact on pit road.

He also was parked for the remainder of the race.

"It's a new season," Hunter said. "You said earlier today it was quiet. It's not quiet now."

Those weren't the only fireworks of the night session. Moments prior to that incident Ryan Newman spun out after a tap from Clint Bowyer. His car slid up the track and took out two-time defending Cup champion Jimmie Johnson and four-time Cup champion Jeff Gordon.

Both drivers will use backups, not their Daytona 500 car, in the Shootout. The car in which Johnson won both races at Richmond last season and was scheduled to be tested at Nashville is expected to arrive at Daytona on Saturday morning for Johnson. Bill Elliott, David Gilliland and Carl Edwards also were involved in that accident.

Newman said the speeds were marginally fast and suggested that NASCAR should do something to lower them before the race. Darby said the speeds were well below the concern area and nothing was being planned. "The fastest I saw was 192 mph," Darby said. "We usually race at 195."

Speed had nothing to do with what happened between Stewart and Busch, who spun into the wall after a tap from Stewart. Busch felt Stewart caused the accident with the bump. Stewart felt Busch caused it by blocking.

"This was a typical reaction for an accident on a racetrack when neither driver felt they were at fault," Hunter said. "Anytime there's an accident, there's difference of opinions on why the accident happened."

Hunter declined to compare the incident to any others, specifically one last season in which Kevin Harvick and Juan Pablo Montoya got out of their cars and shoved each other after an accident at Watkins Glen. Neither driver was fined.

"There's a lot of emotion in driving a racecar, and this is an example of that," Hunter said. "Both drivers were emotional."

That crew members were not on pit road will factor into NASCAR's decision on a penalty.

"If the pit crews are out on pit road, it's very dangerous," Hunter said. "Under a circumstance where there were people on pit road that would be different than what happened."

Gordon, standing in the garage talking to crew chief Steve Letarte, couldn't take his eyes off the big screen television as the Busch and Stewart saga unfolded.

Ironically, Gordon pointed specifically to Busch and Stewart earlier this year as drivers that have buried their personality for fear of being punished by NASCAR.

Gordon predicted Saturday night's race would be wild.

"I think we're going to see a lot of things like this happening because the drafting is so severe that there is a lot of movement going on out there," he said. "It's going to be exciting. I've been saying it's going to be exciting and I think there is a whole lot of excitement yet to come."

Newman agreed.

"It's not pretty," he said. "We're the crash-test dummies out there in a round-about way trying to figure out the new car at Daytona. The cars aren't handling very well. It's not the ideal racecar right now."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. saw the second wreck as a good reason to park for the rest of the session.

"I saw cars spinning everywhere," he said. "Looked like the No. 2 [busch] was trying to block the No. 20 [stewart] and Tony tried to go to the high side. It has been a wild practice out there. It is going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

"We liked our car really from the get-go right off the trailer so we weren't going to practice too much. That was a good enough reason to quit right there."

Busch and Stewart exchange bumps, words at Daytona

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=2&id=3237789

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- NASCAR chairman Brian France kicked off the 2008 media tour in Charlotte, N.C., last month by saying Sprint Cup drivers needed to show more of their personalities.

Kurt Busch and Tony Stewart obliged on Friday night.

Two of NASCAR's most controversial characters got into a sheet metal exchange on pit road after an on-the-track incident that wrecked both of their cars in the final practice for Saturday's Budweiser Shootout at Daytona International Speedway.

Both drivers immediately were summoned to the NASCAR hauler to meet with Series director John Darby and competition director Robin Pemberton. They will meet again on Saturday before the governing body determines what fines, if any, will be issued.

The only words spoken by either driver -- both left through a side door without commenting -- came from Busch before entering the hauler.

"It's a great way to start off 2008," he said, clapping his hands together.

It was more like the way NASCAR started the 1979 season, when Bobby and Donnie Allison got into a fight with Cale Yarborough in the infield grass following an altercation on the last lap of the Daytona 500 to spark national interest in the sport.

"This is the NASCAR everybody fell in love with," said NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter, playing off France's back-to-the-basics theme. "Emotions run high."

Hunter said what happened showed the fine line between letting drivers be themselves and crossing the line where safety becomes an issue.

"It's going to be difficult as a matter of fact," he said on how NASCAR would handle such situations. "Professional race drivers need to control their emotions when they're in the racecar. And we've shown in the past that we'll do whatever we need to do to make sure they do. After tomorrow's meeting we'll see where we are."

Hunter said the history of the drivers would not be a factor in any fines. Busch was fined $100,000 and docked 100 championship points in June after sending Stewart into a barrier at Dover and nearly hitting a member of Stewart's crew making additional contact on pit road.

He also was parked for the remainder of the race.

"It's a new season," Hunter said. "You said earlier today it was quiet. It's not quiet now."

Those weren't the only fireworks of the night session. Moments prior to that incident Ryan Newman spun out after a tap from Clint Bowyer. His car slid up the track and took out two-time defending Cup champion Jimmie Johnson and four-time Cup champion Jeff Gordon.

Both drivers will use backups, not their Daytona 500 car, in the Shootout. The car in which Johnson won both races at Richmond last season and was scheduled to be tested at Nashville is expected to arrive at Daytona on Saturday morning for Johnson. Bill Elliott, David Gilliland and Carl Edwards also were involved in that accident.

Newman said the speeds were marginally fast and suggested that NASCAR should do something to lower them before the race. Darby said the speeds were well below the concern area and nothing was being planned. "The fastest I saw was 192 mph," Darby said. "We usually race at 195."

Speed had nothing to do with what happened between Stewart and Busch, who spun into the wall after a tap from Stewart. Busch felt Stewart caused the accident with the bump. Stewart felt Busch caused it by blocking.

"This was a typical reaction for an accident on a racetrack when neither driver felt they were at fault," Hunter said. "Anytime there's an accident, there's difference of opinions on why the accident happened."

Hunter declined to compare the incident to any others, specifically one last season in which Kevin Harvick and Juan Pablo Montoya got out of their cars and shoved each other after an accident at Watkins Glen. Neither driver was fined.

"There's a lot of emotion in driving a racecar, and this is an example of that," Hunter said. "Both drivers were emotional."

That crew members were not on pit road will factor into NASCAR's decision on a penalty.

"If the pit crews are out on pit road, it's very dangerous," Hunter said. "Under a circumstance where there were people on pit road that would be different than what happened."

Gordon, standing in the garage talking to crew chief Steve Letarte, couldn't take his eyes off the big screen television as the Busch and Stewart saga unfolded.

Ironically, Gordon pointed specifically to Busch and Stewart earlier this year as drivers that have buried their personality for fear of being punished by NASCAR.

Gordon predicted Saturday night's race would be wild.

"I think we're going to see a lot of things like this happening because the drafting is so severe that there is a lot of movement going on out there," he said. "It's going to be exciting. I've been saying it's going to be exciting and I think there is a whole lot of excitement yet to come."

Newman agreed.

"It's not pretty," he said. "We're the crash-test dummies out there in a round-about way trying to figure out the new car at Daytona. The cars aren't handling very well. It's not the ideal racecar right now."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. saw the second wreck as a good reason to park for the rest of the session.

"I saw cars spinning everywhere," he said. "Looked like the No. 2 [busch] was trying to block the No. 20 [stewart] and Tony tried to go to the high side. It has been a wild practice out there. It is going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds.

"We liked our car really from the get-go right off the trailer so we weren't going to practice too much. That was a good enough reason to quit right there."

Gotta love it. :D

Sources: Stewart punched Kurt Busch while pair were in NASCAR hauler

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3238563&type=story

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Tony Stewart hit Kurt Busch with more than his car on Friday night at Daytona International Speedway. The two-time Sprint Cup champion also hit Busch with his fist inside a NASCAR hauler, sources close to the situation confirmed on Saturday.

The second incident occurred while the drivers discussed the first incident with series director John Darby and vice president of competition Robin Pemberton. Officials from NASCAR, Joe Gibbs Racing and Penske Racing would neither confirm nor deny the punch occurred, saying what happens in the hauler stays in the hauler.

Darby, however, said a Saturday morning meeting, which was called to give all parties time to cool off, was less "hostile." "Partially, I wanted to make sure that in the heat of everything last night our message was delivered very clearly to both competitors," he said. "So we let them go back to the buses and sleep on it overnight."

The message? That both drivers should go out of their way to avoid each other during Saturday's two practice sessions for Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout and the Daytona 500 on Feb. 17. "This morning, in a less hostile atmosphere without all the screaming and hollering and us banging our fist on the table, we sat back down and went through the whole conversation to make sure they know what we expect," Darby said. Asked if Stewart punched Busch, Darby replied, "There's a reason why we do have an office with a door on it."

Stewart, who was accompanied by team owner Joe Gibbs on Saturday, issued a statement after the second meeting. It did not address whether he took a swing at Busch.

"I'm not mad at him about what happened on the racetrack at all," Stewart said. "What happened, happened. We can't fix it. We can't change it. The best thing to do is go on and move forward and not let this linger between the two of us. "

We've met with NASCAR twice now, and we're both past it, and we're hoping the media will respect that fact, too, and let us move on from it."

I enjoy watching rednecks going in circles about as much as I enjoy sticking a hot poker through my eyes.

I'm surprised Al Gore hasn't called on NASCAR to reduce their Carbon footprint.

Because Al Gore chooses his targets carefully. He goes after soft targets, not one where he'll find himself tied to the back of a Chevy going 190mph.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/daytona2008/columns/story?columnist=newton_david&id=3238561

Cars aren't exactly interchangeable, but Shootout was enlightening

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Jimmie Johnson drove the car that won twice at Richmond last season in Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout. Jeff Gordon drove the car that won at Darlington. Kurt Busch drove the car he used at Martinsville.

When NASCAR introduced the Car of Tomorrow, one of the benefits it touted was the ability to use the same car on a short track, road course, intermediate track and superspeedway because the chassis and body were so closely defined. When Johnson, Gordon, Busch and several others wrecked their cars for the Shootout during a Friday night practice, teams were forced to put that theory to the test in order to save their backups for the Daytona 500.

The results weren't bad, as Johnson finished third, Gordon finished fourth and Busch 18th after a late crash. That doesn't mean teams are producing fewer cars, thus saving money on inventory, which was NASCAR's goal outside of safety.

That also doesn't mean the cars Johnson, Gordon and Busch drove were better than ones specifically prepared for a restrictor-plate track. "If that was the case, you wouldn't need to qualify," said Johnson's crew chief, Chad Knaus. "You would draw numbers from a hat and say this is where you start because all the cars are the same.

If they were all the same and you could take any car from any track, the same team that built a car on that side of the garage would run the same speed as this side. "That's not the case. Cars are different." Knaus said Hendrick Motorsports continues to prepare cars for different size tracks just as it did with the old car.

While the differences are more subtle than they were before with templates and tolerances tighter than ever, they're still different enough to demand special cars. Busch's crew chief, Pat Tryson, said it's the same way at Penske Racing. "Nothing has changed," he said. "That's what they want to hear, that everyone brought their Bristol or Martinsville car here. But that's not realistic. If they can get their Bristol car to run as fast as their speedway car

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/daytona2008/columns/story?columnist=blount_terry&id=3239044

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- This isn't exactly what NASCAR officials meant with the 2008 theme of returning to its roots, but having Dale Earnhardt Jr. win his first outing for Hendrick Motorsports is pure magic.

All is well with the NASCAR Nation. Junior is back in front at Daytona.Earnhardt thrilled the crowd by winning the Bud Shootout on Saturday night in the new No. 88 Chevrolet.

He got a push from teammate Jimmie Johnson to pass Tony Stewart in Turn 4 heading to the final lap.It's been a long time since Earnhardt looked this happy. He was beaming in Victory Lane, looking like a man who knew his life had just taken a turn for the better."Man that was fun," Earnhardt said. "I had a blast those last few laps. And I didn't win the race without Jimmie pushing me. I hope the fans enjoyed that. I'm so happy. It don't get no better."

No it doesn't, not for NASCAR, which has high hopes of regaining some of the attention it lost while Earnhardt was struggling through a painful end to his time at Dale Earnhardt Inc.

"Dale Jr. is one of the best there's ever been in restrictor-plate racing," Stewart said. "I'm not sure he's not better than his dad now, in all honesty."I'm glad for him. Obviously, he has a lot riding on his shoulders this season. He deserved it tonight. He drove his butt off."

Earnhardt's victory was his first checkered flag in a Cup event at Daytona since his victory in the 2004 Daytona 500. Is it an omen of things to come? Five times in the past, the winner of the Shootout has gone on to win the 500 one week later.Junior was in his backup car Saturday, but he had plenty of confidence about the Daytona 500 when he radioed his crew moments after his victory.

"What a team you guys are," he said. "This car was awesome. We may have the 500 winner here and not know it."Saturday wasn't a points race, but no one on Earnhardt's new teams cared about that technicality. It was a victory in Junior's coming out party.

"Way to go out there," Rick Hendrick told Earnhardt on the radio. "What a way to start our deal."Earnhardt had gone almost two years without a victory in a Cup event. His last win came at Richmond in May 2006."I don't know where to start," Earnhardt said when he reached the media center after the postrace celebration. "It's crazy. I had a great handling package and it was really fast."

He can thank Tony Eury Jr. on that one. This was a big night for Eury, also. Earnhardt's crew chief and cousin made the decision to leave DEI and join Earnhardt at Hendrick."It was like a storybook ending for me tonight," Eury said. "All our guys had that fire in their eyes. That's what gratifies me, when I can help somebody else besides myself. It was overwhelming."

Hendick Motorsports certainly paints a different picture for Earnhardt's and Eury's future. All four Hendrick cars were lined up to challenge Stewart in the final laps Saturday.

Stewart may or may not have slugged Kurt Busch in the NASCAR hauler Friday night, but he had no counterpunch for the Hendrick boys on the track.On the last restart with three laps to go, Stewart was in front, but the Hendrick quartet was lined up behind him -- Junior second, Jeff Gordon third, Johnson fourth and Casey Mears fifth.

"I definitely needed some help," Stewart said. "It's hard to race against four Hendrick cars up front. But that's been the big question all along. How do you beat these guys?"

They ganged up on Stewart, but the Shootout was an indication that Toyota is ready to contend this season. Stewart ran up front all night in his new Camry, and Dave Blaney led the race in his Toyota with 18 laps to go.

Also passing the season-opening test was the Car of Tomorrow, the only car in Cup now. The Bud Shootout was the first race for the car at Daytona.It didn't disappoint. The action up front was constant, with side-by-side racing for the lead and passing up high and down low.

This is what the designers had in mind for a car that has received so much criticism in the past from drivers, fans and reporters.The race also proved teams don't need different types of cars for different track layouts, another goal of the COT. Johnson was driving the car he raced last year at Bristol.

Gordon and Johnson were competing with the third-string ride. Both drivers crashed in the final practice session Friday night.Teams use their backup cars for the Bud Shootout, so they have to bring in a third car if it's damaged.

Gordon was driving the car he won in last year at Darlington.Johnson and Gordon appeared to be playing possum at the back of the field in the first 20-lap segment of the race, staying out of trouble and taking time to figure out what the cars needed.

When go-time came, they were up front, challenging for the victory as usual. Only this time they had another Hendrick brother to contend with, the one with the golden legacy.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Common%2FMGArticle%2FPrintVersion&c=MGArticle&cid=1173354536985

Time to Protect Owners, Too

Roush would like to see a franchising plan through which owners could build equity

By Mike Mulhern

JOURNAL REPORTER

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Jack Roush, as head of Team Ford, is one of the most powerful car owners in NASCAR.

But that doesn

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/racing/02/10/bc.nascar.daytona500.pole.ap/index.html?eref=si_topstories

Waltrip captures No. 2 spot for Sprint Cup opener

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (AP) -- Reigning NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson won his second Daytona 500 pole on Sunday less than 24 hours after new teammate Dale Earnhardt Jr. took the checkered flag in the non-points Budweiser Shootout.

Michael Waltrip, disgraced last year at Daytona when his then-new team was caught in the post-qualifying inspection using an illegal fuel additive in his Toyota, had a great qualifying run, taking the outside pole.

Only the top two qualifiers locked in starting positions for next week's 50th running of the Daytona 500.

The top 35 drivers from last season's car owners points are guaranteed a starting spot in the 43-car field and Waltrip was one of 18 drivers who began the day competing for the few remaining positions.

The rest of the starting field will be determined on Thursday in two 150-mile qualifying races at Daytona International Speedway.

Johnson, hoping to join Cale Yarborough as the stock car sport's only drivers to win three consecutive Cup titles, previously won the pole here in 2002 and won the race in 2006.

He had to drive a backup car, one of his team's short track entries, in the Shootout after a crash in practice on Friday. Johnson called it "a brick" before going out and nearly winning Saturday's race.

Johnson was third in that race, with fellow Hendrick Motorsports drivers Jeff Gordon and Casey Mears fourth and sixth. On Sunday, Mears qualified sixth, three-time 500 winner Gordon was 10th, and Earnhardt 15th.

The car Johnson drove on Sunday was designed to be run on the 2.5-mile, high-banked Daytona oval, and he couldn't have been happier with it.

"Last night, we had a great race, but I really look forward to what this car can do in the Daytona 500," Johnson said.

The four former open-wheel stars making their Daytona 500 debuts had mixed results in pole qualifying.

Former Champ Car standout Patrick Carpentier was 11th fastest in qualifying, followed by 1997 Formula One champion Jacques Villeneuve (12th), reigning Indianapolis 500 champion Dario Franchitti (39th) and three-time Indy Racing League champion Sam Hornish Jr. (43rd).

Two of the four are guaranteed spots in the 500. Carpentier and Villeneuve will have to race their way into the 43-car field on Thursday.

"It makes it difficult because even if you're quick ... you might have a bad qualifying race and not make the show," Villeneuve said. "That's a little bit tough."

Archived