Mangini's QB Quagmire

InstantClassic

February 22, 2008 -- For the first time since the Jets' disappointing 4-12 season came to its merciful end, Eric Mangini surfaced and spoke publicly yesterday, holding court with reporters at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

Among the topics Mangini was grilled on included the status of Chad Pennington as he enters the 2008 season competing for the starting quarterback job with Kellen Clemens.

Asked specifically if Pennington might be traded before the start of the season, Mangini said, "I feel very good about Chad Pennington. There's a lot of things I've talked about over my time with him - his huddle presence, his leadership, things he's been able to do.

"One of the things I've always liked about Chad is that he wants to be the starter. That's what you want from any person on this team. I definitely respect that. That's what I like about him so much."

When pressed about whether Pennington would remain a Jet, Mangini said, "Chad's a member of the New York Jets. That's how we're proceeding. I like the things he brings to the team. That's really how we're operating."

Regarding what will occur with the starting job, Mangini indicated that the two will compete in minicamp and training camp.

"We'll look at that situation through the course of OTAs [Organized Team Activities], training camp and the preseason games, and evaluate them on what gives us the best chance to win," he said.

Ironically, a year ago at the Scouting Combine, Mangini, a bit out of character, revealed his plan at the quarterback position, anointing Pennington as the starter entering the offseason programs and camps.

Mangini, too, would not acknowledge what many people believe: that linebacker Jonathan Vilma will be traded.

"Jonathan is one of the hardest-working guys I've come across," Mangini said of Vilma, who had knee surgery last season. "He approaches rehab the same way he approaches everything else: full-bore all the time. That's the way he's been progressing this offseason. We monitor it very closely and our doctors and trainers are involved. He's made some good progress."

Asked about Vilma regaining his starting job, Mangini said, "It's one of those things where we're going to have to evaluate it as we go. Jon's a good player, a smart player, he's been very productive for us and he's an incredible competitor."

Mangini also addressed the recent disgruntled words of wide receiver Laveranues Coles, who is seeking a contract extension.

"Laveranues and I have a very good relationship," Mangini said. "I sent him a text the other day. He was shocked that I knew how to send it. I was shocked that it worked. We spent a long time talking. He's one of the most impressive guys I've been around. The captain's role, he's embraced it. What he and I are going to do is sit down and get his feedback on things that we can do better, that I can do better."

Asked about Coles' recent rant about his unhappiness with the Jets about his contract situation, Mangini said, "That's the business side of football. It's not something that's different in terms of the Jets versus any other team, and I understand that, I can appreciate that. 'LC' and I have a very good relationship."

Mangini also revealed yesterday that he had a lot of input and help from Mike Westhoff during the search and interview process to find a successor for him as special teams coordinator, a search that ended with the hiring of Kevin O'Dea on Wednesday.

Per NYPost

so basically he said nothing once again...nice..

He said a lot of things. None of which had anything to do with who's under center this fall. I really wish he'd abandon the catchy walk around the question routine. He's not a good or even acceptable orator and after he spews enough garbage without answering the question, he begins to sound like Herm. Only difference is Herm was all too happy to answer the question, he just didn't know what he was saying.

He said a lot of things. None of which had anything to do with who's under center this fall. I really wish he'd abandon the catchy walk around the question routine. He's not a good or even acceptable orator and after he spews enough garbage without answering the question, he begins to sound like Herm. Only difference is Herm was all too happy to answer the question, he just didn't know what he was saying.

This is not a Senate investigation. Why should he have to tell sports writers whether he intends to trade Chad or not?

This is not a Senate investigation. Why should he have to tell sports writers whether he intends to trade Chad or not?

Don't confuse my thoughts on Mangini DM - I don't think he should say anything about anything till it's confirmed and done - injuries, trades, who's starting etc... Much unlike the babbling brook who's currently in KC and still won't shut up .

I'm just saying his speaking skills and or wit arent good enough try and walk around questions. A simple we don't have any comments on the QB situation at this time would suffice.

Don't confuse my thoughts on Mangini DM - I don't think he should say anything about anything till it's confirmed and done - injuries, trades, who's starting etc... Much unlike the babbling brook who's currently in KC and still won't shut up .

I'm just saying his speaking skills and or wit arent good enough try and walk around questions. A simple we don't have any comments on the QB situation at this time would suffice.

Got it. Yes, Aristotle he is not. :P

Archived