34 OLB potentials

BroadwayJoe12

Not sure if this will go over well considering theres 10 new McFadden thread a day that will probably push it out of the main page, but I figured we could have a single thread dedicated to the results of the top OLB prospects for this year. (will be edited as more workouts come in)

So far on bench;

Gholston - 37 reps (tied for the lead with j.long)

Groves - 30

Harvey - 31

Gholston did what was expected and put up beastly numbers, but the fact that both groves and harvey each did 30+ was very impressive. I fully expect both groves and harvey to put up very impressive speed and agility numbers that could potentially decrease the gap between gholston and themselves, if you beleive gholston is ahead of them. Groves has sub 4.5 potential and will be very interesting to see what he does in the agility drills because he looked very shaky in open space this year when he made the transition to linebacker. However, i heard a lot of it was due to a fairly severe toe injury.

Feel free to add shawn crable if you get his results as well.

37 reps is a sh*tload for a guy his size.

Oh i definately agree very beastly, but i always expected his strength numbers to be that great and his speed and agility to just be good compared to groves.

Ahtyba Rubin did 35 from what i saw, which is also impressive. He has also been rumored to throw up 400+ 11 times, which shows he has a great initial punch and the ability to redirect offensive lineman more easily.

He was dissapointed with 37 too.

I'm not at all surprised. This is the guys premier pastime, of course he was going to rip it up.

I was honestly surprised that Sedrick Ellis only done 34.

Me too, i was hearing that he had plans to throw up 40+, but whatever, i've never put too much stock into the bench, I mean how many 225 lb offensive lineman do they plan on tossing around. I'd rather them show some cybex type stuff to show their raw power; kinda like in rocky when ivan drago was hitting that machine, which measured his power psi. That type of thing would be better to show the raw power or intitial punch of the guy.

If McFadden is gone the Jets should trade down.

i was thinking the opposite...if he's there we should trade down.

Good to hear that there are other compitent OLBers that should be around in the late teens and 20's. I really hope that is where we end up picking.

Me too, i was hearing that he had plans to throw up 40+, but whatever, i've never put too much stock into the bench, I mean how many 225 lb offensive lineman do they plan on tossing around. I'd rather them show some cybex type stuff to show their raw power; kinda like in rocky when ivan drago was hitting that machine, which measured his power psi. That type of thing would be better to show the raw power or intitial punch of the guy.

Actually that's an awesome idea. Wonder why no one has invented that with all the money that gets invested in NFL draft picks. Every year it's what, like $300-400M in guaranteed money every single year?

Actually that's an awesome idea. Wonder why no one has invented that with all the money that gets invested in NFL draft picks. Every year it's what, like $300-400M in guaranteed money every single year?

A lot of guaranteed money and too much of it gets tied down to the top 5 picks.

I know there are certain machines that can measure the power of your punch, or press etc. and I would love to see it at the combine, but they seem to be pretty set in their ways what with the 225 lbs. and 40 yard dash. The game has evolved and so has technology so you'd think we would have better evaluation tools than just benching 225 or seeing your standing broad jump, but what do we know right?? hah

A lot of guaranteed money and too much of it gets tied down to the top 5 picks.

I know there are certain machines that can measure the power of your punch, or press etc. and I would love to see it at the combine, but they seem to be pretty set in their ways what with the 225 lbs. and 40 yard dash. The game has evolved and so has technology so you'd think we would have better evaluation tools than just benching 225 or seeing your standing broad jump, but what do we know right?? hah

Problem with the bench-press is you can use the bench for leverage. A 320-lb prospect is less movable (or can move/shove around more himself) than a 220-lb man. I don't care how many times they throw 225 lbs up there. That guy Rubin tossed it up 34x. Gholston 37. Anyone think Gholston would make as effective of a NT? I don't either.

Problem with the bench-press is you can use the bench for leverage. A 320-lb prospect is less movable (or can move/shove around more himself) than a 220-lb man. I don't care how many times they throw 225 lbs up there. That guy Rubin tossed it up 34x. Gholston 37. Anyone think Gholston would make as effective of a NT? I don't either.

Shhh, don't let Mangini hear you.

He thought D-Rob could do it so why the Hell not this guy.:shock:

are you guys trying to tell me that the 40 yard dash doesn't put the rookie RB into the HOF in their first year? i thought since MTackled is faster than michael bennet and goes down easier than derrick blaylock that this was a done deal?

Draft McTackled now!

Gholston certainly is making a case for himself. I'd like to see him and Rogers on the same team. Maybe get Phillip Wheeler in the mid-second round somehow.

Calvin Pace + Vernon Gholston (2 edge rushers) + Shaun Rogers would give us one of the top defences in the league.

Yet why do I have the sinking feeling that none of them will happen.:roll:

are you guys trying to tell me that the 40 yard dash doesn't put the rookie RB into the HOF in their first year? i thought since MTackled is faster than michael bennet and goes down easier than derrick blaylock that this was a done deal?

Draft McTackled now!

Obviously you don't like him, we get it.

That 40 time is pretty impressive though regardless of how you feel of him.

Also stop comparing him to Michael Bennett, it's laughable.

We will, as soon as you guys stop comparing him to Adrian Peterson.

We will, as soon as you guys stop comparing him to Adrian Peterson.

Considering he's more similar to Peterson physically, statistically and all round hype. That's not going to happen. I've been comparing him to Peterson but am in favour of Peterson every time. He's not AP, but he'll be pretty darn good IMO.

You don't like comparing first round pick running backs? How about guys that were both behind great offensive lines in college?

I think the comparison is perfect. I'm not sure why everyone wants to compare him to Peterson, if you remember, Peterson broke tackles in college, and in the pros. McTackled didn't break tackles in college, i guess he'll do better in the pros? :confused:

You don't like comparing first round pick running backs? How about guys that were both behind great offensive lines in college?

I think the comparison is perfect. I'm not sure why everyone wants to compare him to Peterson, if you remember, Peterson broke tackles in college, and in the pros. McTackled didn't break tackles in college, i guess he'll do better in the pros? :confused:

You are aware Bennett was a pretty good back in the NFL before he got injured. Right??

I have seen McFadden break tackles in college, you talk like he never has.

Considering he's more similar to Peterson physically, statistically and all round hype. That's not going to happen. I've been comparing him to Peterson but am in favour of Peterson every time. He's not AP, but he'll be pretty darn good IMO.

LOL! Look at the broken tackles in this video and tell me there is any comparison. There is NONE. DMC couldn't hold Peterson's jock.

W7U-qOyx4rU

BTW, about Bennett. I don't know that he had a fumbling problem in college, nor would i call him a fumbling problem in the pros, but his 13 TD's and 19 fumbles in his career, aren't exactly what you are looking for in a first round back.

Seeing as McTackled fumbled how many times last year? was it 13? Not sure that I'd like to be drafting a project at number six.

What???

jU0nPKbYx6w

DMC goes down on first contact in that video on every play. Occasionall he lays a nice hit on a DB at the second level. Big difference between the two videos. A Pete is in a different class than McTackled.

gholston1.jpg

the mans an animal..look at the sheer size of his arms

I want the Jets to take him although I wasn't sure about him before.

I just hope he can focus and be more consistent because he has th physical tools to be as good as anyone. I watched alot of film on him and he dissapeared quite a bit, hopefully he can fix that.

BTW, about Bennett. I don't know that he had a fumbling problem in college, nor would i call him a fumbling problem in the pros, but his 13 TD's and 19 fumbles in his career, aren't exactly what you are looking for in a first round back.

Seeing as McTackled fumbled how many times last year? was it 13? Not sure that I'd like to be drafting a project at number six.

A lot of his fumbles throughout his college career came on either kick returns (which he won't do in the NFL) or on the handoff (QB's fault too).

I doubt it will be a major problem and even if it is, it can be fixed.

A lot of his fumbles throughout his college career came on either kick returns (which he won't do in the NFL) or on the handoff (QB's fault too).

I doubt it will be a major problem and even if it is, it can be fixed.

They showed a bunch of his fumbles on NFL network and it seems like he has a legit problem with how he holds the ball. That is one of the least of my worries though because that can be corrected.

So far on bench;

Gholston - 37 reps (tied for the lead with j.long)

Groves - 30

Harvey - 31

Feel free to add shawn crable if you get his results as well.

I really like Harvey and Groves. I think they are more sure things in the NFL than Gholston, though his upside might be higher.

I saw Crable play a few times and don't understand why he isnt more highly regarded. He looks to be an incredible athlete. If the Jets dont prioiritize OLB in the top two rounds (which would mean they have signed someone to play the position - maybe Pace) then he's a guy I'd be happy for the Jets to try (the anti-Schlegel).

Archived