Soriano trade rumors again

faba

Inside Dish: Soriano back in New York?

By Ken Rosenthal - SportingNews

Both New York teams could snap to attention if the Rangers decide to trade second baseman Alfonso Soriano. Though Soriano has resisted playing center field, perhaps he would reconsider if he were traded back to the Yankees, the team for which Alex Rodriguez was willing to move from shortstop to third base. The Yankees' problem is that they can't satisfy the Rangers' need for pitching.

The Mets, last in the National League in on-base/slugging percentage (OPS) at second base, are an even more obvious fit for Soriano. The Rangers have shown past interest in Mets shortstop Jose Reyes, but it's extremely doubtful the Mets would trade him, even though Reyes entered Wednesday's play with the sixth-lowest OPS among major leaguers who qualify for the batting title.

The Mets' loss of Class A righthander Philip Humber, who recently underwent elbow-ligament transplant surgery, has reduced the team's minor league pitching depth, making it unlikely that the Mets would part with Class AA righthander Yusmeiro Petit. A package of Petit and outfielder Victor Diaz is the type that could tempt the Rangers for Soriano. ...

The Padres, one of several teams pursuing Reds third baseman Joe Randa, also would like to add a starting pitcher. They view Indians righthander Kevin Millwood as an ideal fit, but would need to purge a salary to squeeze both Randa and a pitcher into their payroll. The Rangers and other clubs also like Millwood, who is 3-9 with a 3.34 ERA and has raised his stock by proving that he can pitch in the American League. ...

Contenders are pressing the Royals for bullpen help, making runs not only at the relatively established Jeremy Affeldt and Mike MacDougal, but also rookies Andy Sisco and Ambiorix Burgos. "There's a feeling I'm shopping these guys. That's not the case," G.M. Allard Baird says. "I'm shopping for a young corner outfielder who fits with our direction. I recognize I may have to give up something at the major league level. I'm willing to do that." ...

The Dodgers are willing to move righthander Jeff Weaver or lefthander Odalis Perez, preferring to keep only one of them long-term. Weaver, a free agent after this season, would be attractive as a rental if the Dodgers fail to sign him long-term -- he has a 2.71 ERA since May 29, and has worked at least six innings in 11 consecutive starts. Perez, on the other hand, is signed through 2007, was sidelined nearly two months with shoulder trouble and recently lashed out at an unnamed teammate. The Nationals pursued Perez last offseason, and their G.M., Jim Bowden, is looking for starting pitching. Hmmm . . .

The Giants apparently were willing to trade Class AA righthander Merkin Valdez for Rockies righthander Jason Jennings, but the Rockies balked at the deal. "If he stays a starter, Valdez can at least be Pedro Astacio," one scout says. "I think you might be able to put him at the back end of the bullpen. He's got the body to be an Armando Benitez." Valdez is listed at 6-3 and 220 pounds, but the scout says he could carry 250.

Soriano is such a pathetic hack. Sure there are times when you love him when he gets clutch RBIs, and a few dingers here and there.

But this guy has maybe the worst plate discipline in MLB.

Throw him a curve ball low and away and he'll swing and miss 99% of the time. Just look how Aaron Small OWNED Soriano in that at bat a few days ago, Soriano reminded me why I was happy to see his non-hustling, lolly gagging, free swinging, strike out machine GONE.

Archived