Jet's defense improved dramatically in short time

docdhc

We have been whining about the Jets 3-4 scheme for the two years of the Mangini era. Now he has put the pieces in place, and it hasn't taken that long. We have the true nose tackle, and the ability to rush the passer on both sides. We have a great corner and safety in the backfield. We just need to shore up the other CB spot. Jenkins, Pace, Gholston, Harris, Rhodes all have pro bowl potential, and noone is over 30. Ellis, Barton, Thomas, and Coleman are all solid. This is potentially a top 5, championship potential defense, based on personel. Now if Mangini can coach like I think he can it will be fun to watch the Jets get after opposing offenses.

We have been whining about the Jets 3-4 scheme for the two years of the Mangini era. Now he has put the pieces in place, and it hasn't taken that long. We have the true nose tackle, and the ability to rush the passer on both sides. We have a great corner and safety in the backfield. We just need to shore up the other CB spot. Jenkins, Pace, Gholston, Harris, Rhodes all have pro bowl potential, and noone is over 30. Ellis, Barton, Thomas, and Coleman are all solid. This is potentially a top 5, championship potential defense, based on personel. Now if Mangini can coach like I think he can it will be fun to watch the Jets get after opposing offenses.

:cheers:

I think we need just 1 more change on the D. Eric Barton needs to go, once we get someone for the left side I think we are set.

I think we need just 1 more change on the D. Eric Barton needs to go, once we get someone for the left side I think we are set.

Eventually, yes. But I think playing behind Jenkins instead of Rollarskates Robertson will enable Barton to give us a good year or two. Barton can be very effective when he can penetrate. When the center and guards are getting to the second level and he has to negotiate around them, he gets lost.

Eventually, yes. But I think playing behind Jenkins instead of Rollarskates Robertson will enable Barton to give us a good year or two. Barton can be very effective when he can penetrate. When the center and guards are getting to the second level and he has to negotiate around them, he gets lost.

yes but he can also occasionally make a stupid mistake would would cost us 10-15 yards. But your right maybe the addition of Jenkins & Gholston will help.

1) Potential doesn't win games.

2) Let's calm down on putting Gholston in the pro-bowl. He hasn't played a down yet.

3) This D better be better than top 5 if we're going to win games. 10-6, 13-10 is going to be the norm, because our offense is offensive.

1) Potential doesn't win games.

2) Let's calm down on putting Gholston in the pro-bowl. He hasn't played a down yet.

3) This D better be better than top 5 if we're going to win games. 10-6, 13-10 is going to be the norm, because our offense is offensive.

Fair point. I do think that the complaint about not having the right personel for the scheme cannot be an excuse anymore, so we get a real evaluation of the Tangini era starting this season.

:lol:

The only thing that worries me is Gholston commanding a huge salary and turning out to be another John "Ten High" Abraham.

I have no problem paying Gholston a huge salary. I think McFadden and him are the only guys in this draft that have unlimited potential. That's not to say the Longs and Dorsey will not be great. They probably will be solid consistent pro-bowlers. But McFadden and Gholston both could go beyond that.

I have a problem with Pace's huge salary. I just hope they see something that is not that readily apparent.

I have no problem paying Gholston a huge salary. I think McFadden and him are the only guys in this draft that have unlimited potential. That's not to say the Longs and Dorsey will not be great. They probably will be solid consistent pro-bowlers. But McFadden and Gholston both could go beyond that.

I have a problem with Pace's huge salary. I just hope they see something that is not that readily apparent.

Pace was a number one pick by the cards with the same upside potential, and he took a few years to pan out. He actually was similar to Gholston coming out.

And another exciting thing to consider...our team is now a LOT bigger.

Our LB's are BIG.

Our Linemen are BIG on both sides of the ball.

Our secondary is physical.

We have a physical FB.

Thomas Jones is a straight ahead, physical back.

We have multiple TE's with diverse talents.

This formula sound familiar?

Take a look at the Cheats.

Big LB's.

Big Linemen.

Lots of TE's.

Smaller WR's.

Physicality in the secondary.

Our regime has a plan...and in my view they are executing it very well.

Consistent winning will rely on the QB's development.

8 games is not enough to judge.

But you know what...25 of the 32 teams out there are in the same boat. Great QB's don't grow on trees.

IMO these guys know what they're doing.

Pace was a number one pick by the cards with the same upside potential, and he took a few years to pan out. He actually was similar to Gholston coming out.

Yes, he had a breakout year last year. Some guys do take longer. It also helped that they switched to a defense that was right for him. I just don't think his play last year, although very good, warrants the kind of money he got. I just hope he has even more upside left in him and the Jets are confident in that.

And another exciting thing to consider...our team is now a LOT bigger.

Our LB's are BIG.

Our Linemen are BIG on both sides of the ball.

Our secondary is physical.

We have a physical FB.

Thomas Jones is a straight ahead, physical back.

We have multiple TE's with diverse talents.

This formula sound familiar?

Take a look at the Cheats.

Big LB's.

Big Linemen.

Lots of TE's.

Smaller WR's.

Physicality in the secondary.

Our regime has a plan...and in my view they are executing it very well.

Consistent winning will rely on the QB's development.

8 games is not enough to judge.

But you know what...25 of the 32 teams out there are in the same boat. Great QB's don't grow on trees.

IMO these guys know what they're doing.

Excellent point. No more getting pushed around on both sides of the ball. Does wonders for the skill positions.

Archived