Yankees send Hughes to 15 Day DL

Yankees send Hughes to DL

Bronx, NY (Sports Network) - The New York Yankees have placed starting pitcher Phil Hughes on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right oblique, the team announced Wednesday.

Hughes is 0-4 with a 9.00 ERA in six starts this season for the Yankees. The 21-year-old has allowed 34 hits and 23 runs -- 22 earned -- in 22 innings on the hill in 2008.

Darrell Rasner will be called up from Triple-A to fill Hughes' spot in the rotation. Rasner is 4-0 with a 0.87 ERA and was dubbed the International League's pitcher of the week during April 21-27.

Im guessing his oblique is the reason he seems to 'misremember' where the strike zone is. or the reason he leaves those lollipops in the middle of the plate...yeah ok :confused:

maybe he really is hurt, even if he isn't. He sits down for a few days than get in 4-5 AAA starts to see if he can find his stuff before getting called back up and he doesn't have to deal with the embarrassment of being sent down.

I'm sure he isn't hurt

They do this rather than sending him down

I bet he is hurting (besides his pride). His fastball is consistently around 90, occasionally hitting 93, but usually at 90. I bet he has some injury, although Oblique is not what I expected. I was thinking of something with his ankle.

I agree with the previous poster about the embarrassment part though. This allows Hughes to "chill out" for 2 weeks, then he goes to AAA for a few "rehab" starts, slowly building arm strength.

Then he comes back in early June for the rest of his career.;)

Yankees manager Joe Girardi told WFAN radio that Phil Hughes was found to have a stress fracture in his right rib-cage.

Not a strained oblique after all. This is worse news, though it's not necessarily going to make a huge difference. It does make it less likely that he'll be able to pitch in minor league games before the month is over.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=236218&id=4091

Archived