How the draft could impact the Jets ~ ~ ~

kelly

How the draft could impact the Jets

Will Gholston's acquisition change New York's fortunes?

By Michael Salfino / SNY.tv

This isn't going to be one of those silly post-draft articles awarding teams grades for their draft performances. These players are the proverbial box of chocolates ("you never know what you're gonna get") for the real-life general managers and scouts. And if the pros can't judge after countless hours of film study, personal interviews, workouts and FBI background checks, how the heck can we? The angle that most people miss when it comes to the draft is that it provides a window into how teams view themselves. And we can reasonably grade them on how they are prioritizing their needs.So let's review the scouting reports on the Jets' 2008 draft class, calculate the impact the players can have if they realize their potential and put them in the broader context of the Jets offseason plan to reverse their 2007 fortunes.

Assisting us will be Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFYDraft.com.

Since December, I've been tossing Ohio State's Vernon Gholston's name around as a guy who could solve the Jets' pass-rush woes. So I share the enthusiasm expressed by the crowd at Radio City Music Hall before and after the selection.Listen to Pauline gush: "He's explosive with outstanding first-step quickness. He also plays with leverage and is deceptively strong. He can play with his hand and on the ground or standing up over tackle. His upside is tremendous." Said the NFL Network's Mike Mayock, the best of the TV draft analysts: "Watching him on film, there were times he took my breath away." But don't take their word for it. See for yourself: here. The speed and quickness jump out at you but what's even more important, I think, is his ability to use his hands. You can see him beat bigger lineman with a hand punch and getting your hands inside gives you the leverage you need to overpower him. This was the strength of Mark Gastineau and Joe Klecko during the glory days of the Sack Exchange.

Gholston is sculpted like a Greek god; he benched 455 pounds, performed a 580-pound squat and squatted 405 pounds 20 times at the Combine. That's all more measurable strength than offensive tackle Jake Long (now a Dolphin after being selected No. 1 overall) showed at his workout. Gholston can not only run around NFL-caliber tackles like Long, but through them as well.Here's one of the many times he's beaten Long like a drum the last couple of years: here. I understand that he's young (he'll be 22 all season). But he was an extremely productive college player who should be able to assume every-down duty by midseason at the latest. Where will he line up? He has experience playing in space and dropping into coverage in the Ohio State system. So he easily projects to rush linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 defense. You'll see him lining up both strong and weakside on the video linked above. I'm sure the Jets will move him around, too. But expect him to be the weakside backer rushing the quarterback's blind side most passing downs.

This means free-agent acquisition Calvin Pace is going to line up strongside (over the tight end), which he did last year for Arizona. Pace hasn't consistently showed plus pass-rush skills in the past; but, ideally, he and Gholston will provide the kind of pressure on opposing quarterbacks that San Diego's Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phllips do in the Chargers version of the 3-4.The Jets traded up in the second round to grab Purdue tight end Dustin Keller, eliciting some old-school dismay from the face-painters in the draft balcony. I've long expressed my disdain for trading up. But there's some sound economics that argue in favor for drafting pass-catching tight ends.

Antonio Gates is the most valuable guy in football because the Chargers signed him for $24 million for six years back in 2005. Gates wasn't stupid in taking that deal. The franchise figure for a tight end this year was still only $4.52 million annually. He had no leverage to get a bigger deal because the Chargers could franchise him repeatedly for that relatively low amount. Conversely, the franchise figure, or average of the five highest paid wide receivers, is $7.85 million annually.If Keller turns out to be a stud receiver, he'll be a Jet for as long as they want him and he'll be a bargain all of those years in salary cap terms.From a pure football standpoint, tight ends that can play like receivers can't be covered by safeties (who are too small) or linebackers (who are too slow). Keller is another size/speed freak like Gholston. It's good to see the Jets putting a premium on athleticism. He was also very productive in college, playing to his speed but also showing great hands, coordination and eye-popping run-after-the-catch ability. See for yourself here here . There are a lot of snide remarks about how Keller can't block. But anyone who can generate 4.55 speed in the 40 at 250 pounds with the strength to bench 430 pounds and squat 585 can knock defensive linemen on their keisters. This isn't Doug Jolley.

The Jets tried to address their weakness at corner opposite Darrelle Revis by grabbing Dwight Lowery (San Jose State). Pauline cautions that Lowery was benched in the middle of last year for poor play and doesn't have good timed speed. "But he's a talented cover corner with top ball skills and abilities for the next level."

Pauline was less enthusiastic about sixth-round wide receiver Marcus Henry of Kansas, who he didn't even project to get drafted. Pauline and I agree that the Jets need a deep threat at wideout. But I think size is more important than raw speed in the downfield passing game because the Cover 2 really limits your opportunity to get behind the defense. Better to go over them, which the long-armed Henry can do at nearly 6-foot-4.

Nate Garner, an Arkansas tackle the Jets drafted in Round 7, was not even graded by Pauline.

The most interesting of the later picks is Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge. He was very productive last year at Tennessee (31 TDs, 10 INTs, but a relatively low 6.8 yards per pass attempt). Ainge has great height (just over 6-foot-5, like his uncle Danny) and above average arm strength.According to Pauline, "He's got a quick, over the top release and is patient in the pocket with the ability to quickly locate receivers. He's worth developing over the next couple of years." Ainge offers more upside than the typical late-round quarterback you draft to groom as a backup. So he does offer a hedge should Kellen Clemens continue to struggle. Clearly general manager Mike Tanenbaum and head coach Eric Mangini aren't ready to hit "eject" on Clemens, but they're at least considering the possibility that he might be a bust.

How the draft could impact the Jets

Will Gholston's acquisition change New York's fortunes?

By Michael Salfino / SNY.tv

Ohio State linebacker Gholston could help solve the Jets' pass-rushing woes. (AP)

print this pageemail this page

This isn't going to be one of those silly post-draft articles awarding teams grades for their draft performances. These players are the proverbial box of chocolates ("you never know what you're gonna get") for the real-life general managers and scouts. And if the pros can't judge after countless hours of film study, personal interviews, workouts and FBI background checks, how the heck can we?

The angle that most people miss when it comes to the draft is that it provides a window into how teams view themselves. And we can reasonably grade them on how they are prioritizing their needs.

So let's review the scouting reports on the Jets' 2008 draft class, calculate the impact the players can have if they realize their potential and put them in the broader context of the Jets offseason plan to reverse their 2007 fortunes.

Assisting us will be Tony Pauline of SI.com and TFYDraft.com.

Since December, I've been tossing Ohio State's Vernon Gholston's name around as a guy who could solve the Jets' pass-rush woes. So I share the enthusiasm expressed by the crowd at Radio City Music Hall before and after the selection.

Listen to Pauline gush: "He's explosive with outstanding first-step quickness. He also plays with leverage and is deceptively strong. He can play with his hand and on the ground or standing up over tackle. His upside is tremendous."

Said the NFL Network's Mike Mayock, the best of the TV draft analysts: "Watching him on film, there were times he took my breath away."

But don't take their word for it. See for yourself: here. The speed and quickness jump out at you but what's even more important, I think, is his ability to use his hands. You can see him beat bigger lineman with a hand punch and getting your hands inside gives you the leverage you need to overpower him. This was the strength of Mark Gastineau and Joe Klecko during the glory days of the Sack Exchange.

Gholston is sculpted like a Greek god; he benched 455 pounds, performed a 580-pound squat and squatted 405 pounds 20 times at the Combine. That's all more measurable strength than offensive tackle Jake Long (now a Dolphin after being selected No. 1 overall) showed at his workout. Gholston can not only run around NFL-caliber tackles like Long, but through them as well.

Here's one of the many times he's beaten Long like a drum the last couple of years: here. I understand that he's young (he'll be 22 all season). But he was an extremely productive college player who should be able to assume every-down duty by midseason at the latest. Where will he line up? He has experience playing in space and dropping into coverage in the Ohio State system. So he easily projects to rush linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 defense. You'll see him lining up both strong and weakside on the video linked above. I'm sure the Jets will move him around, too. But expect him to be the weakside backer rushing the quarterback's blind side most passing downs.

This means free-agent acquisition Calvin Pace is going to line up strongside (over the tight end), which he did last year for Arizona. Pace hasn't consistently showed plus pass-rush skills in the past; but, ideally, he and Gholston will provide the kind of pressure on opposing quarterbacks that San Diego's Shawne Merriman and Shaun Phllips do in the Chargers version of the 3-4.

The Jets traded up in the second round to grab Purdue tight end Dustin Keller, eliciting some old-school dismay from the face-painters in the draft balcony. I've long expressed my disdain for trading up. But there's some sound economics that argue in favor for drafting pass-catching tight ends.

Antonio Gates is the most valuable guy in football because the Chargers signed him for $24 million for six years back in 2005. Gates wasn't stupid in taking that deal. The franchise figure for a tight end this year was still only $4.52 million annually. He had no leverage to get a bigger deal because the Chargers could franchise him repeatedly for that relatively low amount. Conversely, the franchise figure, or average of the five highest paid wide receivers, is $7.85 million annually.

If Keller turns out to be a stud receiver, he'll be a Jet for as long as they want him and he'll be a bargain all of those years in salary cap terms.

From a pure football standpoint, tight ends that can play like receivers can't be covered by safeties (who are too small) or linebackers (who are too slow).

Keller is another size/speed freak like Gholston. It's good to see the Jets putting a premium on athleticism. He was also very productive in college, playing to his speed but also showing great hands, coordination and eye-popping run-after-the-catch ability. See for yourself here here . There are a lot of snide remarks about how Keller can't block. But anyone who can generate 4.55 speed in the 40 at 250 pounds with the strength to bench 430 pounds and squat 585 can knock defensive linemen on their keisters. This isn't Doug Jolley.

The Jets tried to address their weakness at corner opposite Darrelle Revis by grabbing Dwight Lowery (San Jose State). Pauline cautions that Lowery was benched in the middle of last year for poor play and doesn't have good timed speed. "But he's a talented cover corner with top ball skills and abilities for the next level."

Pauline was less enthusiastic about sixth-round wide receiver Marcus Henry of Kansas, who he didn't even project to get drafted. Pauline and I agree that the Jets need a deep threat at wideout. But I think size is more important than raw speed in the downfield passing game because the Cover 2 really limits your opportunity to get behind the defense. Better to go over them, which the long-armed Henry can do at nearly 6-foot-4.

Nate Garner, an Arkansas tackle the Jets drafted in Round 7, was not even graded by Pauline.

The most interesting of the later picks is Tennessee quarterback Erik Ainge. He was very productive last year at Tennessee (31 TDs, 10 INTs, but a relatively low 6.8 yards per pass attempt). Ainge has great height (just over 6-foot-5, like his uncle Danny) and above average arm strength.

According to Pauline, "He's got a quick, over the top release and is patient in the pocket with the ability to quickly locate receivers. He's worth developing over the next couple of years."

Ainge offers more upside than the typical late-round quarterback you draft to groom as a backup. So he does offer a hedge should Kellen Clemens continue to struggle. Clearly general manager Mike Tanenbaum and head coach Eric Mangini aren't ready to hit "eject" on Clemens, but they're at least considering the possibility that he might be a bust.

Michael Salfino is a nationally syndicated columnist and analyst and a regular contributor to SNY.tv

Archived