Wild card races - wide open in both leagues

faba

/2005 9:36 AM ET

Walk on the Wild side

Vast majority of teams in playoff hunt thanks to Wild Card

By Jim Molony / MLB.com

A decade has passed since the aptly named Wild Card first became part of baseball's postseason bracket, but in the 10 years since the two leagues split into three divisions, the playoff picture heading into August hasn't been as wide open as it is this year.

While there are two teams with large leads in division races, the St. Louis Cardinals in the National League Central and the Chicago White Sox in the American League Central, the other four division races are too close to call. And you could throw a rally towel over the top 10 spots in either Wild Card race.

Entering play Monday, 24 of the league's 30 teams -- an unprecedented 80 percent -- were within single digits of a playoff spot.

Boston still has to be considered the favorite for the A.L. WC, but I wouldn't be shocked if they blow it

What's that you say ... division title?

Nah, for Boston it's the WC or nothing ... same as always

Worked out pretty well for them last year, wouldn't you say?

Boston still has to be considered the favorite for the A.L. WC, but I wouldn't be shocked if they blow it

What's that you say ... division title?

Nah, for Boston it's the WC or nothing ... same as always

Hmmm...so you think the Orioles are for real huh? Even though they have suffered debilitating injuries and they blew Sidney Ponson out of town? Then again, Phil Nevin is a good hitter fully capable of sparking the Os and Tejada is the best player in baseball, hands down!

Maybe youre right...and we'll have to do the WC thing again this year. Suits me just fine!

How about that NL East?

I can't recall seeing anything like it this far into the season.

Not news to anybody here, but you gotta figure the runner up in the AL east will get the WC.

Go Cubs,

d

I am prejudiced about the National league east being a Met fan but it is some feat to have every team in the division over 500- every team has a shot at the division and or wild card.

Astros have been on a roll- Ensberg is having a big year for them

It's funny that the AL Central in the beginning of the season was the best chance to have a wide open division race and now the Division is pretty much wrapped up by one team. Hell, the AL East has been more open than that.

Archived