Damon questioning Joba move to starter

faba

Report: Damon puzzled by taking Joba out of bullpen

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 5, 2008, 9:58 AM ET

It didn't take long for the second-guessing to begin over Joba Chamberlain's move to the New York Yankees starting rotation.

Chamberlain

Damon

Left fielder Johnny Damon was quoted in the New York Daily News as having some doubt about taking Chamberlain out of his set-up relief role, where he has been dominant, and making him a starter. Chamberlain went 2 1/3 innings on Tuesday night in his first start, a loss to the Toronto Blue Jays.

Asked point blank if he would send Chamberlain back to the bullpen, he said "You know what? It's not up to me. But I like winning ballgames," according to the Daily News.

However, while Damon did not explicitly say he opposed making Chamberlain a starter, he left little room for interpretation.

"I just felt like our bullpen was our strength," Damon said, according to the Daily News. "I think it still could be, but when you move a guy like that, everyone's trying to find a role. Everyone's trying to replace a guy who was possibly the best in that role.

"I remember the teams the Yankees won [championships] with, if they were winning after five innings, it was pretty much game over," Damon said, according to the report. "We kind of felt that way this year. If we were winning after six, we had [Kyle] Farnsworth in the seventh, Joba in the eighth, and Mariano [Rivera] in the ninth -- we thought it was game over.

"Now, instead, we're trying to find out who's best suited for that eighth-inning role."

Damon also compared moving Chamberlain from the bullpen to shuffling Derek Jeter out of the second spot in the batting order.

"You don't take Jeter out of the two-hole and put him in the seven-hole just because you're leaving the '4' and '5' guys on base," Damon said, according to the report. "You let him do what he does best."

If the starters didn't suck, they wouldn't have moved him yet. Starting pitcher value > relief pitcher value. By far.

Which is better, him pitching 65 innings this year or him pitching 135 innings this year?

:rl:

Really, is that a Mets fan laughing? A team that continues to throw out Aaron Heilman?

The Yankee pen is good, they just don't have the right players in the majors.

These players who aren't in the majors that should be:

J.B. Cox

Mark Melancon

David Robertson

You include those 3 with:

Rivera

Ramirez

Farnsworth

Britton

And thats not that bad of a bullpen.

Im laughing at Damon's comment that the bullpen was a strength. Just proof he's a clueless jerkoff.

Get over it, Im not a Yankee hater.

I didn't say you were, but the Yankees bullpen isn't a weakness, nor a strength, if they just got the people from the minors that are supposed to be in the majors.

I dunno, but you have the question the way management has handled three young pitchers with alot of potential this season.

Starting for the Yankees is tough enough, some veterans can't even handle it, never mind rookies.

Look what happened to Jose Rijo. He was rushed, looked like sh*t, and then went on to have a pretty good career with the Reds.

Im laughing at Damon's comment that the bullpen was a strength. Just proof he's a clueless jerkoff.

Get over it, Im not a Yankee hater.

The bullpen wasnt a team strength when Joba was a reliever? :confused:

What are you talkin about?

I didn't say you were, but the Yankees bullpen isn't a weakness, nor a strength, if they just got the people from the minors that are supposed to be in the majors.

if if and buts were candy and nuts...

Yankee bullpen 13th in ERA. Mets 14th. Both mediocre.

Yankees 3rd in bullpen IP.

Mets 14th.

Neither team has anything to crow about with their bullpen

The bullpen wasnt a team strength when Joba was a reliever? :confused:

What are you talkin about?

It was only a strength when the starter made it through 7 innings. Then it was pretty much a slam dunk. Joba in the 8th and Mariano in the 9th.

What ya smokin? The bullpen was lights out until Joba got moved to the rotation. We had the best 8-9 duo in the league, how can u say it was not a strength?? :confused:

I think you're confused.

The bullpen is not just Joba and Rivera. Yes they are good, but the bullpen as a whole is mediocre.

Maybe on this team the bullpen is the strength, but thats not saying much.

It was only a strength when the starter made it through 7 innings. Then it was pretty much a slam dunk. Joba in the 8th and Mariano in the 9th.

Nobody has a good enough bullpen to throw 4 innings every day. If you have the best setup/closer duo in the league your bullpen is automatically a team strength. Not to mention Farnsworth was doing fine in the 7th and Edwar had a 0.00 era.

I dont think you guys know what the heck you're talkin about sayin the pen was not a team strength with Joba in there. :confused:

Nobody has a good enough bullpen to throw 4 innings every day. If you have the best setup/closer duo in the league your bullpen is automatically a team strength. Not to mention Farnsworth was doing fine in the 7th and Edwar had a 0.00 era.

I dont think you guys know what the heck you're talkin about sayin the pen was not a team strength with Joba in there. :confused:

JOBA AND MARIANO ARE NOT THE ONLY RELIEVERS ON THIS TEAM. YOUR BULLPEN IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK. WHAT DONT YOU GET?

Btw, the marlins have a better bullpen stat wise than the Yankees.

JOBA AND MARIANO ARE NOT THE ONLY RELIEVERS ON THIS TEAM. YOUR BULLPEN IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PACK. WHAT DONT YOU GET?

Btw, the marlins have a better bullpen stat wise than the Yankees.

Uh, ok, settle down rambo.

Had to get you to actually read what I said. You seem to be ignoring facts. But thats what fans do.

Show me a team with a great pen that has to throw 4 innings every game. You cant cuz it doesnt exist.

No team has more than 3 strong relievers. If you have 2 dominant ones you automatically have a strong pen.

Show me a team with a great pen that has to throw 4 innings every game. You cant cuz it doesnt exist.

No team has more than 3 strong relievers. If you have 2 dominant ones you automatically have a strong pen.

marlins have a better pen who has to pitch more innings. and they are 6 games above .500

marlins have a better pen who has to pitch more innings. and they are 6 games above .500

Let me correct that... the Yankees have the worst starter IP in baseball. They barely edge out the Marlins. The Yankees average 5.28 innings, the Marlins 5.33 innings.

Marlins bullpen averages 3.57 IP. Yankees: 3.62.

Ok, so 1 team? I never said the Yankees had the best pen in the league, so whats your point? :confused:

My point: In order to be a strength, they must be better than mediocre. The yankees bullpen is mediocre.

You asked what team throws 4ip in relief. I said the Marlins. And they are winning.

Believe what you want to believe. think what you want to think. but outside of Joba and Mariano the bullpen stinks.

If the starters didn't suck, they wouldn't have moved him yet. Starting pitcher value > relief pitcher value. By far.

Which is better, him pitching 65 innings this year or him pitching 135 innings this year?

This post is on the money.

If Cashman did the Johan trade or Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy didn't suck this move wouldn't need to happen but seeing the situation now it has to.

Joba isn't going to be an ace overnight. Obviously he was very nervous in his first start and struggled but even with that he still only gave up one run (which was a bs run) and I think he'll progress both mentally and physically and either some time this season or next will be an ace.

Archived