Mets acquire Trot Nixon from Arizona

Lil Bit Special

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=mlb/news/newstest.aspx?id=4157020

Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - The New York Mets, who have been hurt by injuries to their outfielders, acquired Trot Nixon from the Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday.

The Diamondbacks will get a player to be named or cash in the deal.

The 34-year-old Nixon, who was played in 1,081 games over 11 seasons, including 10 with Boston, has a career .275 average with 136 homers and 554 RBI. He was playing for Triple-A Tucson of the Pacific Coast League this year and was hitting .309 with 10 homers and 31 RBI in 58 games.

The move will bring in a veteran outfielder to help out the injury-riddled Mets. Outfielders Moises Alou (strained left calf),Ryan Church (post- concussion symptoms) and Angel Pagan (bruised left shoulder) are on the disabled list.

Our problems are solved! Here we come playoffs!!!

Instead of an old, latin player.. we trade for an old white player... Omar is trying to save his job!

Don't underestimate the impact this guy will have in the clubhouse and on the field. He was hitting very well in AAA and the Indians are kicking themselves for not bringing him back. He should do well in Met land.

He speaks English, so he will have no impact in the mets clubhouse.

:)

He speaks English, so he will have no impact in the mets clubhouse.

:)

Dude, seriously...

Go check out the rosters of other teams and tell me if the percentage of Latino players is that much higher on the Mets.

Willie isn't going any where. If Omar fires him, and the team continues to play like crap, it's on him and he'll be the next to go.

Dude, seriously...

Go check out the rosters of other teams and tell me if the percentage of Latino players is that much higher on the Mets.

Willie isn't going any where. If Omar fires him, and the team continues to play like crap, it's on him and he'll be the next to go.

Mets- 11 US born, 14 Latin born

Yankees 13 US born, 10 latin born. and 2 asian.

Red Sox- 17 US born, 7 latin

Tampa- 20 US born, 2 latin

Baltimore- 18 us born, 7 latin

Toronto- 23 us born, 1 latin, 1 canadian

Chi WHite Sox- 18 us born, 7 latin

Minnesota- 19 us born, 4 latin

Cleveland- 15 us born, 9 latin

Detroit- 15 us born, 10 latin

KC- 16 us born, 8 latin

Angels- 19 us born, 6 latin

Oakland- 21 us born, 3 latin

Texas- 20 us born, 5 latin

Seattle- 12 us born, 8 latin

Thats all the AL teams... Every team so far has more American born than latin born... except the Mets.

National League teams

Phillies- 21 us born, 3 latin

Marlins- 22 us born, 3 latin

Braves- 16 us born, 6 latin

Nationals- 16 us born, 8 latin

Cubs- 17 us born, 6 latin

Cardinals- 22 us born, 3 latin

Milwaukee- 18 us born, 6 latin

Astros- 18 us born, 6 latin

Pirates- 18 us born, 6 latin

Reds- 18 us born, 6 latin

D-backs- 20 us born, 5 latin

Dodgers- 18 us born, 4 asian, 2 latin, 1 canadian,

Padres- 22 us born, 1 australian, 1 south korean, 1 saudi arabia, 0 latin

Giants- 20 us born, 4 latin

Rockies- 16 us born, 7 latin

Originally Posted by Jet Moses viewpost.gif

Dude, seriously...

The Mets are the only team with a MAJORITY of Latin players.

And I guess you missed the smilie face at the bottom of my post, meaning I was making fun of the fact about the mets latin makeup...

Accept the facts- Minaya likes latin players more than any other GM in baseball.

And Willie will be fired tonight if the Mets gets swept by the Texas Rangers in the double header. If they dont, as soon as they fall 10 games down, the next losing streak after that will cost Willie his job.

Minaya will do whatever he can to save his job now. He is already on the chopping block. First step is fire Willie. Next step is trade for fringe players who may have an impact. If the Mets dont turn it around by September 1st, Minaya will be fired.

And really all the Mets need to do is win 6 out of every 10 games. If they do that they are in it. If they continue winning 5 of 10 games they will be long out of it. So all they need to do is win 1 extra game per 10. Thats how close they are from success to failure.

National League teams

Phillies- 21 us born, 3 latin

Marlins- 22 us born, 3 latin

Braves- 16 us born, 6 latin

Nationals- 16 us born, 8 latin

Cubs- 17 us born, 6 latin

Cardinals- 22 us born, 3 latin

Milwaukee- 18 us born, 6 latin

Astros- 18 us born, 6 latin

Pirates- 18 us born, 6 latin

Reds- 18 us born, 6 latin

D-backs- 20 us born, 5 latin

Dodgers- 18 us born, 4 asian, 2 latin, 1 canadian,

Padres- 22 us born, 1 australian, 1 south korean, 1 saudi arabia, 0 latin

Giants- 20 us born, 4 latin

Rockies- 16 us born, 7 latin

Originally Posted by Jet Moses viewpost.gif

Dude, seriously...

The Mets are the only team with a MAJORITY of Latin players.

And I guess you missed the smilie face at the bottom of my post, meaning I was making fun of the fact about the mets latin makeup...

Accept the facts- Minaya likes latin players more than any other GM in baseball.

And Willie will be fired tonight if the Mets gets swept by the Texas Rangers in the double header. If they dont, as soon as they fall 10 games down, the next losing streak after that will cost Willie his job.

Minaya will do whatever he can to save his job now. He is already on the chopping block. First step is fire Willie. Next step is trade for fringe players who may have an impact. If the Mets dont turn it around by September 1st, Minaya will be fired.

And really all the Mets need to do is win 6 out of every 10 games. If they do that they are in it. If they continue winning 5 of 10 games they will be long out of it. So all they need to do is win 1 extra game per 10. Thats how close they are from success to failure.

Nice research and you make a fair point. Touche.

Just curious, do players like A-Rod count as US born? Because I would count him as Latino/Hispanic (whatever it is they want us to call them now). Why would I count them as Latino/Hispanic and not American? Because that is how they identify themselves.

Anyway here's how Minaya will handle Willie---

He'll tell him one of his coaches has to go, and put Willie on the spot. Willie will say no, and then Minaya will dump him.

I'm not sure if Minaya will get axed this year, but if they can't even win 6 out of 10 games, that truly is pathetic.

So maybe you are right.

Just curious, do players like A-Rod count as US born? Because I would count him as Latino/Hispanic (whatever it is they want us to call them now). Why would I count them as Latino/Hispanic and not American? Because that is how they identify themselves.

thats part of the problem... unless someone asks every single player what they identify themselves as, its impossible to know.

I only looked at birthplaces, since that was the most readily available information

I consider Arod a latin (not in the numbers above, in real life) but not the same as someone straight from the Dominican. Its different when you grow up and live in the US versus growing up in San Pedro de Macoris.

I also wouldnt consider Prince Fielder a Canadian, but he is... but I dont know if this is how he identifies himself.

Anyway here's how Minaya will handle Willie---

He'll tell him one of his coaches has to go, and put Willie on the spot. Willie will say no, and then Minaya will dump him.

I'm not sure if Minaya will get axed this year, but if they can't even win 6 out of 10 games, that truly is pathetic.

So maybe you are right.

Willie knows the end is near. I dont think replacing Willie will do anything, but its a convenient excuse to dump a mediocre manager.

Its going to be an interesting 8 hours....

Don't underestimate the impact this guy will have in the clubhouse and on the field. He was hitting very well in AAA and the Indians are kicking themselves for not bringing him back. He should do well in Met land.

Yes, they are killing themselves for not bringing back a guy with a .678 OPS last year.

Had a nice little debut for the Mets today. It cannot be understated the impact a person can have in the clubhouse.

2 for 3, 2 walks. 1 run scored.

nice start... now on bench for game 2.

sucks for trot.. fly cross country yesterday, now fly back cross country for the next series... hope he gets some sleep tomorrow.

Talent is more important than being a great guy.

Not on this team. The Mets have some solid talent, but absolutely zero team chemistry and a negative attitude. Jose Reyes is the case in point; he has 4, maybe even 5 tools, but he's so inconsistent and such an immature person that he causes a lot of harm with the good things he brings to the table.

Moises Alou is the only player on the team that has any kind of leadership skills. David Wright has a good attitude, but he seems more of a quiet leader. Everyone else either stays silent or makes things worse.

This is exactly what the team needs.

Not on this team. The Mets have some solid talent, but absolutely zero team chemistry and a negative attitude. Jose Reyes is the case in point; he has 4, maybe even 5 tools, but he's so inconsistent and such an immature person that he causes a lot of harm with the good things he brings to the table.

Moises Alou is the only player on the team that has any kind of leadership skills. David Wright has a good attitude, but he seems more of a quiet leader. Everyone else either stays silent or makes things worse.

I thought that Paul LoDuca was a team leader.

TEAM CHEMISTRY DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING.

I heard they were talking with the Pirates about Nady. I wonder which side held that deal up.

I liked Nady when he was here but ya gotta give up something in a trade to get something you think at the time is better.

Archived