Remember The Captain.....

JonEJet

I was two years old when Munson died. The mans post season numbers show how he stepped up in big spots and the sliding catches he used to make behind the plate were awesome.

One of my favorite baseball audio clips of all time is listening to Sparky Anderson talking to Bench and his pitcher about Munson when the Yankees played the big red machine in the WS. "This guy is unbelievalbe, we can't get him out"

I was like 9 I think when Thurm died. I was living in NYC. In the middle of a stickball game when I found out. It hurt then. When I think back I can still feel the pain.

I remember watching the next game. And being amazed at how long the ovation was for Thurman. Many years have passed but the loss remains. A great man. A great father. A great Yankee.

Rest in peace Thurman. We will forever hold you in our hearts.

What? No replies about how he wasn't as good as Pudge Fisk?

Or John Stearns?

LOL...That was a good rivalry.

Thurmon was the man though. Even to us Mets fans.

I remember in reading Reggie's book how he and Munson who hated each other always came together come play-off time.

Thurman was the true definition of a leader and from all accounts a good man.

I was like 9 I think when Thurm died. I was living in NYC. In the middle of a stickball game when I found out. It hurt then. When I think back I can still feel the pain.

I remember watching the next game. And being amazed at how long the ovation was for Thurman. Many years have passed but the loss remains. A great man. A great father. A great Yankee.

I was in my sisters car on the way to Robert Moses

Never forget it.....I balled the entire day

The guy was my hero growing up.....still is!!

I was Just out of high school, max ... right at that age where you fully grasp the game yet still have heros ... I'll never forget that day

I was meeting one of my friends on the corner ... just to do some hanging out ... he was a diehard Yankee fan just like me

I walk over and he's crying ... literally has tears coming down his eyes ... as I approached him I immediately thought he had a death in the family, because I had never seen him cry {pretty tough guy} ... and then I asked what happened, Georgie?

You didn't hear the news, he said

No, I didn't ... what happened?

Thurman Munson is dead ... died in a plane crash

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Do I look serious, he said ... Thurman is dead :cry:

And there we sat on the corner ... just the two of us ... crying our eyes out :cry:

AWFUL DAY ... remember it like it was yesterday

Thurmon was the man though. Even to us Mets fans.

I know that's true ... I had friends who were Met fans that literally cried tears when Thurman died

I think it effected everyone in NY ... to see Thurman Munson struck down so suddenly, unexpectedly, and young

Lotta tears were shed .. Yankee fans and Met fans alike .. I know it's true because I saw it with my own friends

I know that's true ... I had friends who were Met fans that literally cried tears when Thurman died

This is true. No one hates the Yankees as much as I do, but I remember sitting at my desk crying when I got the news.

Being the aforementioned Yankee hater, Thurman was the LAST guy I wanted to see come to the plate with the game on the line.

Now he was a truly classy Yankee.

Never forget it.....I balled the entire day

Yep, that was pretty much the reaction all over NYC ... lotta tears shed that day

Another one that really made me cry was Tommy John's little boy ... when he fell from a window and cracked his skull ... for awhile there it looked like he wasn't gonna make it

Just the cutest little thing you ever wanna see ... beautiful little baby ... all of NY was praying overtime for TJ's baby boy

That one made me cry as well ... Tommy was such a class act and such a decent man ... it seemed so unfair for such a GOOD HUMAN BEING to experience such a horrible tragedy ... this entire city just prayed like the dickens

Not long after the little boy survived he threw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium ... with his little Yankee uniform that looked two sizes too big ... there wasn't a dry eye in the house, because this was the miracle we all prayed for ... to see that little boy in his baggy pinstripes, throwing out the first pitch, with the catcher crouching only two feet away, was one of the GREAT MOMENTS in my sports life ... better than the WS!!

This is true. No one hates the Yankees as much as I do, but I remember sitting at my desk crying when I got the news.

Being the aforementioned Yankee hater, Thurman was the LAST guy I wanted to see come to the plate with the game on the line.

Now he was a truly classy Yankee.

Good Post NCJF. Thurm was tough and he was clutch.

Archived