Jets News 8/3

BP

QB STILL A TOSS-UP

CHAD WINS SCRIMMAGE, BUT KELLEN KEEPS PACE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Posted: 3:42 am

August 3, 2008

The Jets New York Jets took a closer look at their potential 2008 product yesterday when they played their annual Green-White intra-squad scrimmage at Hofstra's James M. Shuart Stadium.

Most eyes, of course, were on the ongoing quarterback competition between Chad Pennington Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens Kellen Clemens .

Though Pennington and the Green team won the game 10-7, earning them a day off from meetings and workouts today, the needle in the quarterback competition probably didn't lean in either direction very dramatically.

Both quarterbacks, who struggled on third and fourth downs, had their positive moments.

Pennington, though he completed only 1 of 4 in the first half, made his one completion count, connecting with Jerricho Cotchery on a 27-yard touchdown pass on which Cotchery (four catches, 71 yards) beat cornerback Justin Miller on the left sideline.

Clemens was 4 of 7 in the first half, but failed to move the team consistently. He did, however, complete a 55-yard scoring pass to rookie tight end Dustin Keller in the fourth quarter to cut the Green lead to 10-7.

On the play, Keller fought off safety Abram Elam in tight coverage over the middle, caught the ball and raced the final 25 yards into to the end zone.

Pennington was 8-for-14 for 115 yards and a TD and Clemens was 8-for-22 for 137 yards and a TD.

Asked, tongue-in-cheek, whether he felt he nailed down the job, Pennington said, "That's up to the coach [Eric Mangini]. We get evaluated on everything; every time we step inside the white lines. This was just another step."

Pennington said he was "mad" at himself for throwing a third-down pass behind tight end Bubba Franks late in the game when a completion "would have iced the game."

Clemens' lament was not being able to lead the White team back late in the game.

"We lost, which puts a shadow on things," Clemens said. "There were definitely some positives to build on. I'm progressing toward where I want to be. The path to get there has many different signs along the way. It's a work in progress, but heading in the right direction."

A Mike Nugent 45-yard field goal in the third quarter gave the Green team a 10-0 lead and provided the winning points. Nugent, however, later missed a 48-yard attempt wide right in the fourth.

Keller, who came up limping on his final play, appearing to injure his right ankle, was a star for the White team with four receptions for 79 yards and the TD.

"That touchdown to Keller showcased his abilities," Clemens said.

Keller praised Clemens for the pass he threw.

"Kellen threw the ball right where it needed to be and there was no looking back for me," he said.

Mangini was glad to see Keller do well.

"The play he scored on was a really good look at how a tight end can affect a defense," the coach said. "That stretches the opposing defenses."

Mangini said he doesn't put any more weight on the scrimmage than on practices, though it gives the coaches a taste of what's ahead.

"This gives you a lose closer look at game situations," he added. "This is as close as we can get to a regular game."

The next step is next Thursday's preseason opener against the Browns in Cleveland, where the competition figures to take some more dramatic turns.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Chad's Green team wins Jets scrimmage

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

August 3, 2008

Chad Pennington's Green team won the day.

But how far the veteran went toward securing the starting quarterback job could not be determined because both Pennington and Kellen Clemens had their moments.

In the Jets' annual Green and White Practice yesterday at Hofstra's Shuart Stadium, the Green team prevailed, 10-7, over Clemens' White team.

Pennington did what he's done most of training camp, delivering several strong throws and not making any critical mistakes. He finished 8-for-14 for 115 yards and one touchdown, hitting Jerricho Cotchery with a beautifully thrown pass to the left pylon that resulted in a 27-yard TD.

Clemens, who started training camp with six interceptions in the first nine practices, has avoided those kinds of miscues for three straight days - four practices overall - and finished 8-for-22 for 137 yards and one touchdown. His scoring throw came in the fourth quarter, a dart down the seam to Dustin Keller, who got away from safety Abram Elam for a 55-yard touchdown. That cut the White team's deficit to 10-7 with 9:01 left. Clemens had two chances after that but was victimized by a couple of drops and a slew of penalties.

Keller, the rookie tight end from Purdue, continued his strong camp with four catches for 79 yards. Cotchery, who also has stood out in camp, led the Green team with four receptions for 71 yards.

"It's tough to give any real assessment," coach Eric Mangini said of the quarterbacks. "As I'm watching this game, part of it is watching those guys but part of it is watching all the other new guys. Part of it is trying to look at the scheme and how those guys are executing the scheme. There's a lot of new faces to look at. That's really going to come more from the tape than this first look."

Neither quarterback, predictably, was willing to make any claims on the job based on the practice/scrimmage, which included a 26-minute weather delay. Lightning eliminated the final 5:24 of the second quarter as the teams were pulled off the field.

The quarterbacks also agreed that the Green and White Practice wasn't any more important than a typical training camp day.

"I looked at it as any other practice," Pennington said. "We get evaluated on everything . . . This was just another step."

Clemens, because of his poor start to camp, would seem to have had more riding on yesterday, though he gave an answer similar to Pennington's. He did say later, however, that he was aware - and not just because the media have reminded him - that at one point he led Pennington 6-0 in training-camp interceptions. Pennington threw two picks during Friday's practice, so that score now is 6-2.

"You know where you're at," Clemens said. "I try not to pay attention to where Chad is at; I root for him just like I root for anybody. But for myself, I understand that there was a string of practices where there were some interceptions and they needed to be put to an end. Fortunately, we've done that for a few practices now."

New York Jets set to hit fans with personal seat licenses

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Saturday August 02, 2008, 10:57 PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Jets owner Woody Johnson said he understands the fans' pain but said he has no choice. Johnson said yesterday that the Jets will also charge their fans personal seat licenses (PSLs) in the state-of-the-art stadium his team will share with the Giants.

During a luncheon with beat reporters before the Green-White game at Hofstra University's James M. Shuart Stadium, Johnson said the team had decided to follow the Giants, who last month announced a fee structure for PSLs for their season-ticket holders.

The exact prices of the Jets' seats -- a one-time charge some view as an investment -- has yet to be determined, Johnson said, but he left the impression that PSLs would apply to each of the 82,500 seats in the new stadium, scheduled to open for the 2010 season.

In June, the Jets sent surveys to season-ticket holders, asking how likely fans would be to pay fees ranging from $500 in the top level to $150,000 for 50-yard-line seats. Johnson said the organization hopes to have a plan in place by the end of this month.

"We sent out virtually thousands of surveys. We're collecting that information back. We will have seat licenses," Johnson said. "We understand the feeling of the fans. I think what we're going to do is listen to the fans' response from the questionnaires we sent out and we're going to try to incorporate as many of those ideas into the way we package this PSL program to make it as fan-friendly as we can, recognizing the nature of our fans and how long they've been fans and where they sit.

"I think you'll see the way the financing arrangements are, the way the seats are allocated and priority. Those kinds of issues will be dealt with."

The Giants' fees range from $1,000 to $20,000 per seat.

Albert Garlatti, Jr., 46, called the Jets' announcement a "slap in the face" for loyal fans. The Hillsborough resident, who has held the same two season tickets since 1983, said he would be willing to pay up to $5,000 per PSL. If prices are higher than that, he said he would surrender his seats and purchase regular tickets instead.

"We've been supporting them for years, but they probably just don't care," said Garlatti, adding he had been looking forward to watching the Jets play at the new stadium. "If I couldn't afford it, I would go a lot less."

The license holder also must buy a season ticket each year. Now, season-ticket holders can only transfer tickets to family members. Johnson said the organization plans to send out information explaining to fans exactly what a PSL is because he believes some don't fully understand the concept. He said the Jets' research shows many fans have had a "good experience" with PSLs.

The Jets will be the 16th NFL team to require licenses, according to the league.

Johnson said he realizes the PSLs are costly and many middle class families -- and long-time Jets' season-ticket holders -- simply can't afford them.

"We don't want to alienate anybody," he said. "I feel pretty good about coming out with something that is reflective of those values and those interests. ... (But) we're not going to be able to make everyone happy and that's something I'm disappointed about."

The Jets' PSL prices will likely be in line with the Giants. Some critics say the Jets should charge less because they're not coming off a Super Bowl victory.

"The cost of building the stadium is the same for both of us," Johnson said. "The fact the Giants won the Super Bowl and we were 4-12 is just one of those things that happens in football.¤... We're committed to building a championship team. We don't hold back on anything."

This offseason, the Jets spent over $140 million in free agency and are moving into a new training facility in Florham Park in September.

The cost of building stadiums -- along with cities' increasing reluctance to commit tax dollars to sports projects -- has made such fees necessary at new venues, according to sports finance experts. The $1.6 billion stadium being built next to the current Giants Stadium is expected to open in mid-2010. These fees would help fund the construction.

The Giants and Jets are sharing the costs of what is expected to be the most expensive stadium built. The state is paying an estimated $300 million for infrastructure improvements at the Meadowlands, as well as other costs related to the new venue.

The Giants' seat licenses are expected to bring in $300 million to $400 million, team co-owner John Mara said in June. If the Jets were to match that with their take from the PSLs, the cost of the stadium construction would have been cut in half.

New York Jets set to hit fans with personal seat licenses

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Saturday August 02, 2008, 10:57 PM

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. - Jets owner Woody Johnson said he understands the fans' pain but said he has no choice. Johnson said yesterday that the Jets will also charge their fans personal seat licenses (PSLs) in the state-of-the-art stadium his team will share with the Giants.

During a luncheon with beat reporters before the Green-White game at Hofstra University's James M. Shuart Stadium, Johnson said the team had decided to follow the Giants, who last month announced a fee structure for PSLs for their season-ticket holders.

The exact prices of the Jets' seats -- a one-time charge some view as an investment -- has yet to be determined, Johnson said, but he left the impression that PSLs would apply to each of the 82,500 seats in the new stadium, scheduled to open for the 2010 season.

In June, the Jets sent surveys to season-ticket holders, asking how likely fans would be to pay fees ranging from $500 in the top level to $150,000 for 50-yard-line seats. Johnson said the organization hopes to have a plan in place by the end of this month.

"We sent out virtually thousands of surveys. We're collecting that information back. We will have seat licenses," Johnson said. "We understand the feeling of the fans. I think what we're going to do is listen to the fans' response from the questionnaires we sent out and we're going to try to incorporate as many of those ideas into the way we package this PSL program to make it as fan-friendly as we can, recognizing the nature of our fans and how long they've been fans and where they sit.

"I think you'll see the way the financing arrangements are, the way the seats are allocated and priority. Those kinds of issues will be dealt with."

The Giants' fees range from $1,000 to $20,000 per seat.

Albert Garlatti, Jr., 46, called the Jets' announcement a "slap in the face" for loyal fans. The Hillsborough resident, who has held the same two season tickets since 1983, said he would be willing to pay up to $5,000 per PSL. If prices are higher than that, he said he would surrender his seats and purchase regular tickets instead.

"We've been supporting them for years, but they probably just don't care," said Garlatti, adding he had been looking forward to watching the Jets play at the new stadium. "If I couldn't afford it, I would go a lot less."

The license holder also must buy a season ticket each year. Now, season-ticket holders can only transfer tickets to family members. Johnson said the organization plans to send out information explaining to fans exactly what a PSL is because he believes some don't fully understand the concept. He said the Jets' research shows many fans have had a "good experience" with PSLs.

The Jets will be the 16th NFL team to require licenses, according to the league.

Johnson said he realizes the PSLs are costly and many middle class families -- and long-time Jets' season-ticket holders -- simply can't afford them.

"We don't want to alienate anybody," he said. "I feel pretty good about coming out with something that is reflective of those values and those interests. ... (But) we're not going to be able to make everyone happy and that's something I'm disappointed about."

The Jets' PSL prices will likely be in line with the Giants. Some critics say the Jets should charge less because they're not coming off a Super Bowl victory.

"The cost of building the stadium is the same for both of us," Johnson said. "The fact the Giants won the Super Bowl and we were 4-12 is just one of those things that happens in football.¤... We're committed to building a championship team. We don't hold back on anything."

This offseason, the Jets spent over $140 million in free agency and are moving into a new training facility in Florham Park in September.

The cost of building stadiums -- along with cities' increasing reluctance to commit tax dollars to sports projects -- has made such fees necessary at new venues, according to sports finance experts. The $1.6 billion stadium being built next to the current Giants Stadium is expected to open in mid-2010. These fees would help fund the construction.

The Giants and Jets are sharing the costs of what is expected to be the most expensive stadium built. The state is paying an estimated $300 million for infrastructure improvements at the Meadowlands, as well as other costs related to the new venue.

The Giants' seat licenses are expected to bring in $300 million to $400 million, team co-owner John Mara said in June. If the Jets were to match that with their take from the PSLs, the cost of the stadium construction would have been cut in half.

The only thing I'm worried about is that many of the real, loyal, passionate fans will be priced out, leaving a bunch of slack wristed, lukewarm a$$holes with cash to generate a tepid homefield advantage. Maybe Woody should prepare for that eventuality by recording some games this year, editing out the stadium announcer and piping the sound in when half the f-ing stadium doesn't know when to get loud. Hopefully it'll be like church on Christmas where all the lax Catholics all watch the little old lady in the corner to see when to kneel, stand and sit, getting loud when the behavior of last few diehards cue them to.

The only thing I'm worried about is that many of the real, loyal passionate fans will be priced out, leaving a bunch of slack wristed, lukewarm a$$holes with cash to generate a tepid homefield advantage. Maybe Woody should prepare for that eventuality by recording some games this year, editing out the stadium announcer and piping the sound in when half the f-ing stadium doesn't know when to get loud. Hopefully it'll be like church on Christmas where all the lax Catholics all watch the little old lady in the corner to see when to kneel, stand and sit, getting loud when the behavior of last few diehards cue them to.

=D> (broken clapping smilie)

POTWN

Archived