NY Post article from Serby on Jets today

faba

Posted: 2:57 am

August 14, 2008

LAVERANUES ColesLaveranues Coles t.gif still can't bring himself to talk about the whacking of his favorite quarterback and dear friend Chad PenningtonChad Pennington t.gif. And so yesterday morning, Brett Favre, who is trying to make 52 new friends as quickly as he can, put a symbolic arm around Coles' shoulder and attempted to ease the pain.

"I had a little talk with him today," Favre said yesterday. "I said, 'I heard you're not talking to the media.' I said, 'I understand you don't want to say anything good about me. That's OK.' " Favre smiled slightly here and there was some laughter around the interview tent. "[Coles] said, 'No, it's not that, it's not that.' And I obviously was joking with that, but . . .

"I said, 'Look, I'm not here to take Chad's spot, or replace him, or whatever. It is what it is.' And I said this the other day - I don't think I've ever beaten Chad. Those two guys had a great rapport together. I said, 'Look, I'm not trying to replace him. I'm here to help you guys win, and I hope you respect me for that,' and I said, 'I can't guarantee you that. I would love to say I'd come in here and help this team not only get to the playoffs but get to a Super Bowl, and I think I should think that way. But I'm not gonna make any guarantees.' I'm not gonna come in and promise that I can throw him 90 balls. All I can promise is that I'm gonna do everything I can to not only help him, but help this team win. 'And whatever you had with Chad, may that continue.'

"So, I think he'll realize, if he hasn't already, that I'm an easygoing guy, easy to work with. If you drop a ball, so what? I throw bad passes. So, we're in this thing together, and I'd like for us to come out of it together."

Coles, who was limping slightly at the end of the morning practice, told the Jets New York Jets t.gif public relations staff that the subject was "too sensitive" for him to address one week after the blockbuster developments. Favre was asked how Coles reacted to his message.

"We laughed about it," Favre said. "I don't know Laveranues that well, or well enough for him to make any kind of judgment on me. What he probably knows about me other than the last four, five days is what he sees and hears on TV.

"Of course, I'm very familiar with Laveranues as a player. He and Jerricho [Cotchery] both are a lot like the guys I've been throwing to in Green Bay [Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones]. Quick . . . I think deceptively powerful guys . . . hard to tackle . . . good in and out of space. Are those the type of guys that you want to drop back and throw it deep into coverage? Probably not, but I think these guys are definitely in-space type of players, and we made a living on yards after the catch in Green Bay. And, I'd much rather have it in their hands . . . Laveranues is a prime example - throw him a 5-yard pass, and let him do what he does. Hey, if you can throw a 30-yard pass and complete it, great! But, throw him a 5-yard pass, and if they tackle him right there, it's 5 yards, easy 5 yards. But I would think that they're gonna break most of those tackles - they're gonna get 10, they're gonna get 15, 20, and then every once in a while they're gonna bust a big one."

As Favre struggles to learn the playbook, and yearns for a pitch count for his fatigued arm, he will strain to develop the kind of telepathy Coles and Pennington enjoyed by watching 2007 film of the Jets receivers.

"Everyone knows Laveranues and Chad were great friends; as far as the relationship part, you never can disconnect from that," Cotchery said. "But the football part of it, I think Laveranues is excited about it, and everybody on the team is excited about what we have this season."

In the meantime, Pennington is in Miami - and a piece of Coles is, as well.

WR David Clowney, who left the morning practice for an undisclosed reason, was back on the field and appeared fine - except for his butter fingers moment. A pass from Kellen Clemens went off his hands, resulting in an interception. It was one of the few bad moments for Clowney, one of the early stars of camp.

Best part of that article was right there. Glad to hear Clowney is O.K. This kid should make the 53 man roster as long as he keeps his level of play where it has been.

Still concerned about Coles. This whole offseason he has had trouble with his leg.

He can't stay on the field twostraight days without taking some time off because

his leg bothers him.

It's a tough spot. Ideally, they'd just keep him on the sidelines until he's 100%. But with a new starting QB in town, you obviously want to get your quasi-#1 WR some valuable reps with him.

Archived