Jaguars, The New Bengals? Fred Taylor Arrested

BroadwayJ667

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Jacksonville's career rushing and receiving leaders were arrested in a span of about five hours.

Running back Fred Taylor was arrested outside a Miami Beach nightclub early Saturday and charged with disorderly conduct. Former receiver Jimmy Smith was arrested Friday night on a drunken driving charge in Jacksonville.

Taylor was released on his own recognizance and agreed to appear in court at a future date, according to Miami Beach Police Department spokesman Juan Sanchez. Taylor was not taken to jail.

Sanchez did not immediately return a phone message left by The Associated Press. He told the Florida Times-Union that Taylor was arrested about 4 a.m. outside Club Cristal, but said he had no other details.

Smith was arrested after he tried to drive around a DUI checkpoint about 10:45 p.m. Friday. Jacksonville Sheriffs officers said there was a "strong odor of marijuana" coming from Smith's car and marijuana butts in the console. They searched the car and found marijuana and an open container of beer.

Smith failed a field sobriety test and was charged with open container and possession of marijuana less than 20 grams, both misdemeanors.

"I'm dealing with a very difficult, very personal issue and I know this is not the solution," Smith told the Times-Union. "Everybody has issues. My issues are just magnified."

Jaguars spokesman Dan Edwards said the team had no comment on the arrests.

Smith's lawyer, Hank Coxe, told the Times-Union his client was released around 9:30 a.m. Saturday after posting $503 bail.

Smith served a four-game suspension to begin the 2003 season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He abruptly retired in May 2006, leaving the game with 862 catches and 12,287 receiving yards.

Ex-Jaguar Jimmy Smith was also arrested for drinking under the influence and had marijuana in his possession.

I agree DMaynard, the Jungle Cat teams are out of control.

-Lions coordinator goes through fast food drive threw naked.

-Bengals have more arrests than wins.

-Jaguars stars former and current get arrested.

-Panthers star WR punches star CB in the face and gets suspended two games.

:rl:

^Good thing we are named after...airplanes? We need to get a cooler name, updated it a bit. Jetfighter maybe?

Why? Even the teams with "cool" names do nothing with it. The Vikings which are a pretty cool name prance around is fruity purple and the Pirates are bright yellow losers.

Why? Even the teams with "cool" names do nothing with it. The Vikings which are a pretty cool name prance around is fruity purple and the Pirates are bright yellow losers.

I gotta admit, the Raiders have a cool name and logo and colors. They just happen to suck though.

I'm trying to think of other cool ones. I think the Steelers are good and a classic.

I love our colors and uniform. I'm okay with the name, but it's just a little weird if you think about it. Every other team is like animals or people or something, or a color. And we're these souped up technology.

I gotta admit, the Raiders have a cool name and logo and colors. They just happen to suck though.

I'm trying to think of other cool ones. I think the Steelers are good and a classic.

I love our colors and uniform. I'm okay with the name, but it's just a little weird if you think about it. Every other team is like animals or people or something, or a color. And we're these souped up technology.

The raiders are really the only ones with a cool names and everything else, the black hole and their fans dress like crazy extras from a LOTR fan movie. But that really seems like it to me. All New York sports teams have pretty lackluster names... the knicks and mets? lol.

Archived