NY JETS articles - 9/1/08- GO JETS!

Kentucky Jet

JETS' DEFENSE SETS NEW PACE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

CALVIN PACE

Gives defense a boost.Posted: 3:44 am

September 1, 2008

Only seven teams produced fewer sacks than the paltry total of 29 the JetsNew York Jets managed in 2007.

Enter Calvin Pace, Vernon Gholston and Kris Jenkins for 2008.

These are the new parts the Jets have added to their defense in hopes of boosting those numbers significantly in 2008, something that will improve them immediately and drastically.

Though it was only preseason, the Jets produced 13 sacks in their first three preseason games, during which the starters played at least a little bit. That pace would leave the Jets with 69 sacks in a 16-game season, a number that would lead the NFL.

Now, realistically, that's not going to happen, but the addition of LBs Pace and Gholston, as well as NT Jenkins, who will take up two blockers on every down to open up pass rushing lanes for the LBs and DEs, has to make for a dramatic improvement in '08.

Pace, with two impressive sacks against the GiantsNew York Giants in the third preseason game, one of which knocked the Giants out of field goal range, showed a glimpse of what he might bring to the Jets. He's a young player just getting comfortable with the 3-4 defense who should be about to embark on his prime.

After the Giants game, Pace, who had a career-high 6

Jets' keepers very versatileBY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

September 1, 2008

Jets coach Eric Mangini and general manager Mike Tannenbaum at various times have referred to the organization as a "land of opportunity."

Their meaning of the phrase is that when it comes to personnel decisions, if an individual shows he can play, regardless of draft position or past, they'll find a spot on the Jets' roster.

And so, when the Jets made their cuts Saturday to get down to the requisite 53 players, there were some surprises both ways.

Among the surprise players the Jets kept were linebackers Kenwin Cummings - a rookie free agent from Wingate signed in May who led the team in the preseason with 19 tackles (15 solo) and added a sack - and Marques Murrell.

Murrell, a second-year player from Appalachian State signed off Philadelphia's practice squad in November 2007, was solid throughout training camp and the four preseason games with nine tackles, seven solo. "When you have a motor like he does and some of the other natural ability that he does [you have a chance]," Mangini said of Murrell, the younger brother of former Jets running back Adrian Murrell.

Murrell and Cummings stood out for another reason: versatility, a word Mangini likes as much as "process." Both played defensive end in college and have been converted to linebackers with the Jets.

"When you look at him [Murrell] - when we initially got him, he went from, just like Kenwin, a guy who only had his hand in the dirt, to a linebacker," Mangini said. "He's gotten better as a linebacker. He still has his ability as a down lineman in sub personnel. This whole transition is a learning process, whether you are Vernon Gholston, Cummings, Murrell. I've seen enough of those guys over time with the right attributes develop into pretty good players."

Notes & quotes: Mangini all but said Mike Westhoff's return to the coaching staff will be made official today. "I will definitely have a definitive update for you guys on Monday," Mangini said Saturday. Westhoff left the team after last season for medical reasons. It is unclear what Westhoff's responsibilities will be, and Mangini has said he is "happy" with current special-teams coach Kevin O'Dea ... The team did not practice over the weekend and Mangini said the team will not practice today, so - with Tuesdays being a league day off - the Jets' first official practice at their new facility in Florham Park, N.J., will take place Wednesday.

August 31, 2008

Outtakes from the Favre interview

The Jets' beat reporters recently had a 40-minute sitdown interview with Brett Favre, and I wrote a story about it in today's Record.

But because of space limitations, I tried to focus mainly on what Favre thinks of his new team, because I believe Jets' fans are more interested in what he'll do this upcoming season than in the soap opera he left behind in Green Bay. So here are some more highlights from the interview:

On the Packers' hiring of former presidential press secretary Ari Fleischer during the height of Favre's unretirement saga: 'What does that tell you? I mean, come on. Damage control.'

Comparing Green Bay GM Ted Thompson to NYJ GM Mike Tannenbaum: 'I always liked Ted and I don't want to say I dislike him now, [but] I'm disappointed. He's a very quiet guy. He's always been that way. First seven years I was in Green Bay, he was there as a scout and when he came back really nothing had changed in his personality. Just because he's quiet, doesn't mean he's good, bad or indifferent at what he does, but I look at Mike Tannenbaum--I'm not saying Mike's a better GM or whatever...like Mike called me on the phone, I couldn't get him to shut up, but he sold me!'

Favre said that Thompson asked for a decision on his retirement before the free-agent signing period and the draft. At that point, Favre wasn't ready to commit to another season: 'I said, "no I'm not sure, but you want an answer so I'm giving you an answer." And that was the same way last year, the same way the year before. I have no reason for this year saying I was retiring as opposed to the last two years. Nothing had changed. In March, I felt the same way, it could have gone either way. And so I told him, "I'm not sure, I'm not confident in this decision." I was second guessing it from Day 1.'

Favre indicated that things turned bizarre when Thompson visited Favre's home in Mississippi the day after the April draft: 'He kind of gets quiet and says, "we want to do something special for you, and what do you think if we," and these were his words exactly, "dismantle your locker and send it to you." I was [thinking] what the hell are you talking about? I was like "um, OK Ted, great." He said, "it's going to be your locker, we'll send it to you. Now, it's going to be in a box." I'm thinking, "way to get my [butt] out the door." That's the craziest thing I've ever heard of. What the hell am I going to do with a locker? So I just said, "Oh, OK, Ted, that's great."'

Favre talked about his relationship with coach Mike McCarthy, and what happened when he told him he was unretiring: ' [McCarthy) and I actually got along really well. We had our moments but we got along well. I talked to him June 20, I told him, "hey, I think I'm coming back." And when he picked up the phone, he actually dropped it, I heard it rattle, he said, "Oh God, Brett, you're putting us in a tight spot." I said, "just let me go." I knew, the team has been important to me, and has always been important to me, and I said, "look, I don't want to put you guys in a tough situation and I know I am." He said, "Playing here is not an option." Those were his exact words.'

On his successor as Green Bay QB, Aaron Rodgers: 'I'm sure he's got a lot of pressure on him but the position itsself carries a lot of weight. He's obviously got a little more on his plate than most, but this is four years for him in the same system. He's got some talented players around him, very talented. He's smart, got a great arm, got all the tools. It's just a matter of if he's able to handle it. And I've told people this throughout my career, handling success was as important, if not more important, as handling failure. People looked at me like I was crazy.'

'It comes down to Aaron and how he's going to handle it. I mean, he's the guy. He catches a little bit of heat because there's Favre fans. But if I'm him I use that to my advantage. Fuel the fire. I mean , "Hey they don't think I can do it, I'll do it." Because most people expect him to fail or may not expect him to blossom before the team gives up on him or whatever. So what do you have to lose, that's the way I look at it. I don't think people expect him to go in and be Brett Favre right away. They hope or whatever. But from a team standpoint to think that that gives you a better chance to win now, nothing against Aaron at all, you go with the proven commodity before you go with the unproven.'

As he has said since coming to the Jets, Favre doesn't know if he'll play in 2009: 'Once we knew the deal was going to be done [Tannenbaum] would've liked to have a two-year commitment. I said "Mike, let me give you the best year I can possibly give you, and let's go from there." I said, "I've been down this road. At the end of this year you guys may say, thanks, it was great having you, it just didn't work out, and we'll move on. I don't know. To sit here and even think about next year with what's in front of us right now, is way premature."

He said that if he hadn't been traded to the Jets, he likely would've been traded to Tampa Bay, and that despite rumors to the contrary, his relationship with Bucs coach Jon Gruden is 'fine.' He also repeated something he has said many times since coming to the Jets, 'It's been hard, but I know I made the right decision.'

August 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM | Permalink

First two opponents set with spys

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Aug 31, 2008

The Jets first two challengers now have Jets players on their rosters who can spill the beans.

The Jets play at Miami in Week One, and the Dolphins claimed OT Nate Garner on waivers from Gang Green.

The Jets play New England in Week Two, and the Patriots signed former New York tight end Jason Pociask.

Both of these players will be able to give their new teams great insight on the Jets which will help each club game plan more effectively.

Entertainment NY Local Opinions Video Blogs Lifestyle Money Latino Services Jets set for Week 1 reunion with new Dolphins' QB Chad Pennington

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, August 31st 2008, 8:45 PM

Diaz/AP

Chad Pennington

It happens all the time in the NFL: Discarded player faces former team in perceived revenge match. But it rarely happens with this much drama.

On Sunday, it will be Chad Pennington taking on the Jets in Miami, just a month after Gang Green dumped its longtime quarterback. On Aug. 6, the Jets traded for Brett Favre and, less than an hour later, they gave Pennington a pink slip.

Unemployed less than two days, Pennington signed with the rival Dolphins, creating the sexiest ex-Jet/Jets showdown since 2000, when Keyshawn Johnson faced his old team as a member of the Buccaneers.

That day, Johnson was a non-factor (one catch for one yard) in the Jets' win, but that won't be the case with Pennington. Play after play, he will be the target. The Jets will try to pound the man who, for the better part of eight years, was one of the most respected players in their locker room.

"I'd be a bad friend if I said (I want to get him)," defensive tackle C.J. Mosley said, grinning. "But my job is my job and his job is his job. He's going to try to make us look as bad as possible. My job is to say hello to my old friend ... as much as possible."

Defensive end Shaun Ellis, who was drafted with Pennington in 2000, laughed when asked if they'd ease up on the usual kill-the-quarterback mentality.

"Nah, it's full tilt," he said. "He knows how competitive we are. Any way he can get us, I'm sure he's going to try - and let us know about it."

Linebacker David Bowens said Sunday's game will be "like practice all over again. But it will be a little strange. He was the face of the Jets' organization for a long time, a positive influence. It'll be different, seeing him in South Florida."

Pennington's background with offensive coordinator Dan Henning, the Jets' coordinator in his rookie year, has made for a relatively smooth transition. In three preseason games, he produced his typical numbers, completing 72% of his passes (18-for-25) for a modest yardage total (176), one touchdown and no interceptions. His longest completion was 22 yards.

That Pennington was named the starter came as no surprise; he was an instant hit in the Dolphins' locker room. The players are raving about him the way the Jets are buzzing about Favre.

"You hear the offensive guys say, 'This is the best quarterback I've ever played with,'" defensive end Vonnie Holliday told the Miami Herald. "That's true. We've got a guy now that's a bona fide veteran quarterback that can lead our offense and lead our team. It's huge."

Naturally, the grudge-match angle will be hammered in the coming days. A person close to Pennington said Sunday, "Let's just say it's a must-win."

SAFETY DANCE: The Jets already have a future Hall of Fame quarterback. Might they add a safety on his way to Canton? Sources said they are showing interest in nine-time Pro Bowler John Lynch, who was released by the Patriots. The Jets tried hard to sign Lynch, 36, last month, when he was cut by the Broncos. Bill Belichick, in a statement, hinted that Lynch could return, saying, "I would not rule anything out down the road." The Pats may have a handshake agreement to re-sign him after Week 1; that way, his salary ($1.5 million) wouldn't be guaranteed. ... Former Jets TE Jason Pociask, perhaps the most surprising of Saturday's final cuts, was claimed on waivers by the Patriots. ... Waived OT Nate Garner, the Jets' seventh-round pick, was claimed by the Dolphins

August 31, 2008

Will Jets make another run at Lynch?

It flew under the radar because we were still in the frenzied aftermath of the Brett Favre trade, but the Jets made a strong attempt last month to sign nine-time Pro Bowl S John Lynch, who wound up signing Aug. 15 with the Patriots.

Well, Lynch is available again, and I

August 31, 2008

It flew under the radar because we were still in the frenzied aftermath of the Brett Favre trade, but the Jets made a strong attempt last month to sign nine-time Pro Bowl S John Lynch, who wound up signing Aug. 15 with the Patriots.

August 31, 2008

Archived