Misconceptions of the 4th and 13 Brett Favre prayer from the sky TD

Boozer76

I mentioned this in another thread, and I've seen some posts where people have said it was either ballsy, risky, or just plain old lucky it wasn't intercepted. Let's clear one thing up on that throw-it was absolutely 100% the correct thing to do in that situation. If Favre takes a sack we obviously give up field position. If Favre dumps it underneath (which I guarantee 100% is what Chad would have done there) we give the D a little better field position but the likelyhood of scoring is practically nill. By throwing it high (granted Favre was getting pulled down and couldn't get alot behind the pass, but don't think for a second he didn't know what he was doing with that throw), you have 3 outcomes-1 it goes incomplete, which neither worsens or improves the already good field position the D will enjoyh. 2 it is intercepted, which because of the high ball flight would have either resulted in a touchback or a minimal return, also resulting in good field position for the D. 3 We score the TD on a fairly lucky play, which obviously is the best outcome.

The risk/reward of that throw was obvious and heavily in our favor, and it shows that Brett does not give 2 craps about QB rating or stats. It shows that Brett will take the risks needed to pay off rewards. Occasionally he will take too much of a risk and try to make too much happen, we all know this. But he didn't get to where he is with his accomplishments by being a total reckloose. This play personifies the difference between Brett's mentality and Chad's. People seem to alweays want to call Chad the "smart" QB. Chad's "smarts" would have told him to dump that play off to a RB/TE and hope they can run it in, a very low risk low reward play. Chad's ultra conservatism can sometimes be incorrectly termed as playing "smart", when in fact it is just playing scared. Brett is a "smart" QB who will take risks for big rewards. He's the type of guy you'd want playing poker on your bankroll. Chad is a "smart" QB who takes no risks whatsoever. He's the guy that loses his money by posting ante's and blinds until he has no money left waiting for pocket Aces.

for me what it shows is football in it's purest sense-the game we all played with our friends at the schoolyard in the rain snow and mud-which is why it's nice to see a Jets QB like this-again...Namth played the GAME that way too...reminding us that it is still just that-a game to have fun and enjoy

If that were Chad in the same situation: He's either sacked, or dumps the ball off for a short gain. Bottom line: Again, no touchdown, and with Nugent injured, probably no points. Favre's approach to the game is to always think of scoring...TOUCH DOWNS...not field goals, even if it is at the expense of getting the ball picked off occasionally.

It seems like some media outlets aren't making it clear that it was 4th and 13 in field goal range with no field goal kicker available.

It was a no-brainer to put it up. But I have had non Jets fans say to me that it was a crazy pass. Once I explained the situation, everyone realizes it is was the right thing to do.

I guess some people just see the highlight video and don't realize the particulars and run with it.

It seems like some media outlets aren't making it clear that it was 4th and 13 in field goal range with no field goal kicker available.

It was a no-brainer to put it up. But I have had non Jets fans say to me that it was a crazy pass. Once I explained the situation, everyone realizes it is was the right thing to do.

I guess some people just see the highlight video and don't realize the particulars and run with it.

Right on. I went thru the same scenario today at the gym with some fans.

It doesn't come across that it was 4th and 13 with no field goal kicker.

cool senior. I wish I had fans at my gym. I just get funny looks and the occasional out loud laugh when I show up

For me it starts in the parking lot there. I have that license plate on my truck and

a Jet plate on the front and the truck is green. I get all kinds of remarksespecially

from the fin fans. The theme for this week is that we were lucky.

High risk high reward philosophy. Any team with a solid secondary would have intercepted it. I agree with the reasoning for it though, if it's intercepted we're backed up in our own goal line, if it's incomplete it's still not great field position and if it's caught anywhere from the line of scrimmage to the goal line it's worse field position for us. The only way Miami benifits from that play is a sack, and damn it was close to happening.

Archived