champion Celtics to pay Rivers about $5.5M annually

Blackout

New Celtics contract to pay Rivers about $5.5M annually

BOSTON -- Doc Rivers will see some more green for leading the Green to the championship.

Rivers received a contract extension giving him three more years as coach of the Boston Celtics on Tuesday after leading them to an NBA title one year following the second worst season in team history.

Rivers

Rivers' contract, which had one year left, was extended through the 2010-2011 season at an annual salary of about $5.5 million, according to a person familiar with the deal who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team does not release contract details.

Rivers coached the Celtics to their NBA record 17th championship and their first in 22 years in his fourth season as coach. Their 66-16 regular record was the best in the NBA and third best in club history.

They were 45-37 in his first season but just 24-58 in his third. The one year 42-win turnaround from that is a league record.

"He can handle the pressure of having to go through losses. He was extremely even keel in the worst periods," Steve Pagliuca, an owner and managing partner of the team, told The Associated Press.

The fortunes of the team turned around when it obtained guard Ray Allen from Seattle and forward Kevin Garnett from Minnesota in separate trades before last season.

The deals cost them several young players they had stockpiled, including Al Jefferson, who was developing into an outstanding forward.

But Rivers proved as adept at leading veteran stars as he was at teaching inexperienced players. That was one major reason the Celtics decided to extend his contract.

"We felt that Doc did an outstanding job ever since he's been here with the young players and transforming the veterans we have into a championship team," Pagliuca said.

The Celtics lost forward James Posey to free agency but are optimistic about draft choices J.R. Giddens, a guard, and Billy Walker, a forward. The entire starting lineup of Garnett, Allen, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins returns.

"Doc molded a championship team last season through his leadership and we are confident that he is the man to lead this franchise on the court now and in the future," general manager Danny Ainge said in a statement.

In his four seasons as coach of the Celtics, Rivers is 168-160.

"He's extremely team oriented in everything that he does so he wants the focus to be on the players," Pagliuca said. "He's a great teacher of young guys and because he was an NBA All-Star and very well-respected point guard player, he's had an unbelievably good rapport with the superstars. He knows how to handle them and he knows how to really bring young players along."

I don't even have a hatred for anybody on the Celtics, except for Doc Rivers. The fact is anybody could have coached that Celtics team to a championship, even an idiot like Doc Rivers.

Whatever. I guess you didn't read any of the comments that the players made all season.

At least Doc doesn't look like Ron Jeremy! :P

• 4 weeks later...
Yeah, and that reason is the teams the Gundy's have coached havent bought a championship, like what the Celtics did last year.

how does "buying" a ring work??

everything was under the cap structure and Minnesota agree'd to the KG trade

Seattle agree'd to the RA deal

please elaborate instead of making empty blanket statements. k thx.

I don't see why you're so defensive of what I am saying about Doc Rivers. I mean, you're obviously not really a Celtics fan. You obviously jump from bandwagon to bandwagon. The second those 3 players retire, you jump to something that is going good. In a few years, you'll be a Hornets fan, probably.

Besides, you have not known Doc Rivers like I know him. Since you believe this guy is a good coach, it shows you clearly have no clue about this guy.

says a guy who didn't want to root for tampa bay and decided to choose the Yankees :yawn:

you;re just sad because the magic will never win a title as long as we both walk the planet

says a guy who didn't want to root for tampa bay and decided to choose the Yankees :yawn:

you;re just sad because the magic will never win a title as long as we both walk the planet

Why would I be a fan of Tampa Bay? I like how you act as if you know everything, but really you're the most clueless idiot on the world of message boards.

The sad thing is I bother. I really don't know why though, it's not like this guy knows anything about the game of basketball.

I rather be sad over the Magic not winning a championship, then being a fan of these following teams in the past years:

2008 - Boston

2007 - Spurs

2006 - Miami

2005 - Spurs

2004 - Detroit

2003 - Spurs

2002 - Lakers

2001 - Lakers

2000 - Lakers

I'm willing to bet you don't know basketball past that year. I wonder who you'll be rooting for this year. Lakers seem like a favorite this year. Hornets also seem like a team with great young talent. So who will it be? Lakers, or Hornets? Only time will tell.

hahahaha you are a silly silly man

i been ballin since i was 6. i looked up to Barkley M.J. and Pippen, Kevin Johnson Olajuwan Shaq & Penny (they were the MAgic's stars when you were at balerina class), and so on.

I remember seein MJ retire and come back

i remember magic coming back (i wanted LArry to come back too)

I REMEMBER rick patino, from kentuckah, those lousy teams with 'Twan, WALTAH, dana barros etc.

i remember the lockout and was depressed. i was watching MTV when they broke the news. this was back when MTV played music. silly concept these days huh?

i remember trading chauncy billups

i remember losing the duncan sweepstakes

i remember the artest brawl

I WAS THERE MAN, I WAS THERE (not physically)

don't EVER try to tell me i don't know my NBA

i shoot quicker than paul pierce at ya'll queer's

who's starting wars? like Martin Lawrence i'm all ears

Wow.

I think a trained monkey could lead the Celtics to the NBA Championship.

Incredible money for someone who is there just for the ride.

Finally someone else who realizes Doc Rivers is an idiot.

It's like this...

If Doc Rivers was coaching the Magic last season, they don't win the division, hell, I'm not even sure they'd make the playoffs.

Anybody who even thinks of saying Doc Rivers of all people are as good as Stan Van Gundy is an idiot. Of course by now, everyone on this site knows that about Blackout.

Finally someone else who realizes Doc Rivers is an idiot.

It's like this...

If Doc Rivers was coaching the Magic last season, they don't win the division, hell, I'm not even sure they'd make the playoffs.

Anybody who even thinks of saying Doc Rivers of all people are as good as Stan Van Gundy is an idiot. Of course by now, everyone on this site knows that about Blackout.

theres a reason Herm doesn't have a ring

there's a reason Grady Little doesn't have a ring

notice how Stan gets fired and BAM, Miami wins the title with Riley

keep hating, jealousy makes the world go round

Archived