NY JETS articles 9/12/08

Kentucky Jet

Jets rookie CB Lowery is a student of the game -BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

9:49 PM EDT, September 11, 2008

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - When it came time for the Jets to have their predraft sit-down interview with Dwight Lowery at the NFL combine, to a degree, the San Jose State senior cornerback was dreading it.

"Some teams will sit you down and talk about stuff that doesn't really pertain to the game itself," Lowery said Thursday.

Not the Jets.

"The Jets interview I really enjoyed because we sat down and we talked a lot of football," Lowery said. "[The Jets] put film on, we watched film, they asked me what I saw, what my responsibilities were, trying to figure out, do you know what you're doing as a football player? I think that's the most important thing, regardless of how fast you run or how high you jump or where you went to college. If you don't know what you're doing, you're not going to put yourself in position to be successful."

Glauber's NFL Blog Since the Jets took Lowery in the fourth round of April's draft, he has more than shown he knows what he's doing. By any definition of the word, he has been successful.

The 5-11, 201-pound Lowery started last Sunday's season opener against the Dolphins and, despite being consistently targeted, had a game-best three passes defended. Two of those came on back-to-back plays at the goal line -- on third and fourth down -- in the fourth quarter to thwart a Miami drive.

Safety Kerry Rhodes said Lowery's football-first, no-frivolity attitude wasn't just a put-on for a reporter.

"He's one of the most serious young guys I've ever met," Rhodes said Thursday. "He doesn't talk about what he did Thursday night or where's he's going out to tonight. Everything he talks about is about football."

In that sense, Jets coach Eric Mangini found a playbook junkie soul mate of sorts at the combine.

"Whenever you look at a cornerback, you want to see, OK, does he understand just what he has to do or does he understand the whole defense?" Mangini said. "With Dwight, [at the combine] he could explain man, zone, techniques -- his technique, the back-side corner's technique, the safety's technique. He can explain fronts, front fits. And that's a .really good trait for any defensive back."

He was equally studious at San Jose State, where he earned the nickname "Dwight Swipe" for his propensity for .interceptions. He picked off a program-record nine passes in 2006, his first season at San Jose State after transferring from junior college (at Cabrillo JC, Lowery intercepted 13 passes in two seasons as a free safety).

Lowery, in large part because of an injury, saw his production drop to four interceptions in 2007. His projected draft position -- which, after his junior season, had been thought to be in the late first round or somewhere in the second -- dropped as well. But the Jets, who have had success in the fourth round in recent years (Leon Washington in 2006, Rhodes in 2005, Jerricho Cotchery in 2004), were happy to see him drop.

Rhodes and Darrelle Revis, the starter at left corner, said Lowery didn't immediately impress in training camp. Instead, he got steadily better.

"You just started noticing he was making a lot of plays," Revis said.

The laid-back, confident but not ****y Lowery said he always has high expectations of himself, though part of him is surprised with where he's at.

"I think that you set the bar high, I said, 'OK, if by like year two or three, I'm a starter, I'll be all right,"' Lowery said of his mind-set when he arrived.

He's done better than that, though even Mangini said, "Dwight's got one game in, so I'd like to reserve judgment here."

Lowery agrees.

"I know it's one game," he said. "You play 16 games in a season. You have to show that you're a consistent player. It's one thing to come out and be able to do something for one game, but the guys who make their name in this league and make their mark on the team are the guys who come in and do it week in and week out. That's the goal."

E-mailShare Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo PrintReprint

Related topic galleries: New York Jets, Darrelle Revis, Kerry Rhodes, National Football League, Colleges and Universities, Miami Dolphins, Football

All topicsGet breaking news | Most popular stories | Dining and Travel deals all via e-mail!

Copyright

JETS WIDE RECEIVER STILL NOT IN SYNCH WITH FAVRE

Comments: 3Read Comments Leave a Comment By MARK CANNIZZARO

LAV LOST: Although Laveranues Coles enjoyed a great on- and off-field relationship with former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington (above right), he hasn't reached that level of comfort with new QB Brett Favre.Posted: 3:07 am

September 12, 2008

For Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles , there appears to be no joy in Jetville.

The departure of Chad PenningtonChad Pennington seems to still be weighing on Coles, who while speaking to reporters yesterday sounded joyless compared to the usual jovial, joking, give-and-take vibe he gives off to those who cover the team.

There's a distinct lack of enthusiasm in the voice of Coles, who was extremely upset when the JetsNew York Jets released Pennington once Brett Favre was acquired.

This much should be made clear: Coles does not have a problem with Favre. He merely misses Pennington, his close friend, and appears still to be trying to come to terms with that departure.

With the Jets facing their archrivals, the Patriots, Sunday in their home opener, this week would be a good time for Coles to put Pennington behind him and jump aboard the Favre bandwagon.

Coles candidly conceded that he still is searching for a synergy with Favre that's at least similar or close to what he had with Pennington on the field.

"I don't have a feel for him; he doesn't have a feel for me," Coles said of Favre. "That's one of the things I'm going to have to deal with."

When it was pointed out that Coles and Pennington had some six years to develop their chemistry, Coles said quickly, "We had it the day we walked in the door."

"I would never expect to have the same relationship with anybody that I have with (Pennington)," Coles said. "It was just one of those things we had. We had a special chemistry. We never sat and watched film together, we just knew.

"In the past (with Pennington), I always knew when the ball was coming. Now (with Favre) you don't really know. It's just really different. He's getting adjusted and I'm just doing what I'm supposed to do and that's it.

"Whenever you get introduced to a new quarterback you don't have a feel for him. He's being introduced to a new offense and new players."

Though the rest of the players in the Jets' locker room are positively euphoric about the addition of Favre and all the possibilities his presence presents, Coles seems to be the last to catch the fever.

Coles, who missed all four preseason games with a leg injury and played his first game with Favre at quarterback last Sunday in Miami, produced one catch for five yards in the Jets' 20-14 win over the Dolphins.

He was seemingly open in the end zone on one play, but Favre led him by too much and the pass fell incomplete. Favre later said he was expecting Coles to make an "in cut" on the play, but Coles didn't.

"Absolutely, that play was a touchdown," Favre said. "I didn't think (Coles) was going to do something totally different, but I thought he was going to cut in just a little. We've never run that play together.

"I don't know what's going to happen (this week), but you can see where there's just a couple of plays where you thought that if they just get on the same page, look how good they can be. The potential is there. We're close."

But not as close as Coles and Pennington. That duo became so close ("Our relationship goes deeper than just football," Coles said), Pennington had Coles at "Hello."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Newest first Oldest first

BAKER CAPPED HIS ANGER TO BAG BIG EXTENSION

Comments: 0 Read Comments Leave a Comment By MARK CANNIZZARO

Posted: 3:07 am

September 12, 2008

Chris Baker , who began the offseason livid at the JetsNew York Jets for what he believed was a broken promise to renegotiate his contract, made a decision to take the high road as training camp approached - and that earned him the contract extension he got this week.

Baker was mimicking the route former Jets guard Pete Kendall took at the start of last season and appeared poised to shoot his way out of town the way Kendall did.

In the end, it was Baker's desire to stay with the Jets that changed his mind.

"I'm glad it all worked out," Baker said of the three-year extension worth $12.2 million. "Now I hope I can look forward to playing here the rest of my career. I can focus on football."

Asked how he reconciled his anger, Baker said, "It's a business. I understand that. I don't have any hard feelings. I'm excited to hopefully be here for the rest of my career. That's what I'm looking forward to."

Baker went from being angry during spring minicamp and threatening to hold out to opting to come to training camp and work quietly. The turning point occurred "right before we reported to (training) camp," he said.

"I was like, 'Let me get myself ready. I'm here to play.' Had I kept going the route I was going this spring I probably wouldn't be ready to play right now."

The relationship between coach Eric Mangini and Patriots coach Bill Belichick, his former boss, appears to be as frosty as it was during "Spygate" last year.

"I'd say (the relationship is) the same as it has been," Mangini said. "No change."

Asked if he's had any contact with his former mentor, such as at the league meetings in March, Mangini said, "No."

OK, then.

Mangini, when asked about the Jets' uncanny success in the fourth round of the draft, which has produced WR Jerricho CotcheryJerricho Cotchery (2004), S Kerry Rhodes (2005), RB Leon Washington and WR Brad Smith (2006) and CB Dwight Lowery (2008), joked, "Maybe we should trade back" in future drafts.

FOXBOROUGH - Embedded in Matt Cassel's memory from the last time he started a meaningful football game, way back on Nov. 24, 1999, when he quarterbacked Chatsworth High against Palisades Charter High in the third round of the Los Angeles City Invitational playoffs, is that he was at the helm of an offense that was able to run the ball.

"I think we played well, but we rushed the ball better," said Cassel.

If Cassel is to be successful in his first NFL regular-season start Sunday at Giants Stadium against the New York Jets, then the backup-turned-Tom Brady-stand-in will need the Patriots' offense to go back to the future and support him with a strong ground game.

That's what New England did last Sunday, when Cassel was summoned in relief after Brady suffered a season-ending left knee injury (torn ACL and MCL) in the first quarter. Eleven of the 15 plays the Patriots ran with Brady in the game were passes. With Cassel at the controls, New England called 20 passing plays, including two that resulted in sacks, and ran the ball 24 times.

Sammy Morris (10 carries for 53 yards and a touchdown) and Laurence Maroney (10 carries for 51 yards) combined for 20 rushes for 104 yards. The Patriots averaged 4.5 yards per rush (28 carries for 126 yards).

"Yeah, I mean, I think it's always important to establish the run," said Morris. "I don't think it's necessarily any more so because we have a different quarterback back there. I think getting the run going is something that always helps your offense out."

The Jets' defense poses a stiffer challenge than Palisades or the Chiefs, especially with New York adding the most important piece to its 3-4 scheme, a sturdy nose tackle. Jets coach Eric Mangini knows the value of a space-eater to defend the run, so he acquired 6-foot-4-inch, 349-pound Kris Jenkins from the Carolina Panthers for third-round and fifth-round picks.

The benefits were immediate for the Jets, who held the Miami Dolphins and Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown to 17 rushes for 49 yards in a 20-14 victory in their season opener.

"I think Kris is a big, powerful guy in there. He's a hard guy [to play against]," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said earlier this week. "You can't move him. You just have to try to place him somewhere where he can't affect the play. But he's also a guy that they stunt some, penetrate with, and when he gets moving in one direction, he is a hard guy to stop."

With Jenkins, the Jets leave fewer and smaller holes to run through, but that is where the Patriots' depth at running back, which is augmented by the return of Kevin Faulk from a one-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy during the offseason, comes into play.Continued...

When holes shrink fast, you need fresh legs to burst through them faster. The Patriots have no shortage of capable ball carriers with Maroney, Morris, LaMont Jordan, and Faulk.

"I definitely think that is one of the biggest factors in using more than one back, especially come the fourth quarter when we're trying to pound the ball and try to keep all the guys relatively fresh," Morris said. "Relative being the key word."

Maroney said he noticed the difference last Sunday against the Chiefs.

"I feel like it's still the beginning of the game," said Maroney. "We have me, Kev, LaMont, Sammy, it's definitely going to be a nice rotation going on."

However, Mangini is too smart to let the Patriots run the ball at will. At some point, he's going to force Cassel to beat him, and try to pressure him with exotic blitzes. Then the onus will be on the backs to come to Cassel's aid in other ways. Catching the ball out of the backfield and pass protection will be priorities.

Nobody knows that better than Morris, who was blocking Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard - putting him face down in the Gillette Stadium FieldTurf - when Pollard lunged at Brady's leg.

"That's not just [important] this week, pass protection is any week," said Morris. "If the quarterback has guys in his face, it's never good, so the emphasis is always to protect the quarterback."

Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels might use the running backs flanked out wide or out of the backfield to create mismatches and quick, short throws. Morris, Jordan, Faulk, and fullback Heath Evans are excellent catching the ball out of the backfield, and Maroney has shown the ability to take a dump-off and turn it into a big gain.

Those plays go into the books as passes, but they're basically glorified runs. So, if the Jets are willing to surrender underneath passes to the running backs, the Patriots will throw the ball as much as they can.

"Yeah, I think that one thing we've done around here is just take what the game gives us," said Morris. "If that's throwing 40 times, that's throwing 40 times; if it's running the ball 40 times, then it's running it. I think we prepare for both and take what the game gives us."

With a little help from the running game and his running backs, Cassel could make his next start better than his last in the one area that really counts - the final score. Chatsworth lost that playoff game to Palisades, 49-42.

That's one memory Cassel can't run from.

When holes shrink fast, you need fresh legs to burst through them faster. The Patriots have no shortage of capable ball carriers with Maroney, Morris, LaMont Jordan, and Faulk.

"I definitely think that is one of the biggest factors in using more than one back, especially come the fourth quarter when we're trying to pound the ball and try to keep all the guys relatively fresh," Morris said. "Relative being the key word."

Maroney said he noticed the difference last Sunday against the Chiefs.

"I feel like it's still the beginning of the game," said Maroney. "We have me, Kev, LaMont, Sammy, it's definitely going to be a nice rotation going on."

However, Mangini is too smart to let the Patriots run the ball at will. At some point, he's going to force Cassel to beat him, and try to pressure him with exotic blitzes. Then the onus will be on the backs to come to Cassel's aid in other ways. Catching the ball out of the backfield and pass protection will be priorities.

Nobody knows that better than Morris, who was blocking Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard - putting him face down in the Gillette Stadium FieldTurf - when Pollard lunged at Brady's leg.

"That's not just [important] this week, pass protection is any week," said Morris. "If the quarterback has guys in his face, it's never good, so the emphasis is always to protect the quarterback."

Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels might use the running backs flanked out wide or out of the backfield to create mismatches and quick, short throws. Morris, Jordan, Faulk, and fullback Heath Evans are excellent catching the ball out of the backfield, and Maroney has shown the ability to take a dump-off and turn it into a big gain.

Those plays go into the books as passes, but they're basically glorified runs. So, if the Jets are willing to surrender underneath passes to the running backs, the Patriots will throw the ball as much as they can.

"Yeah, I think that one thing we've done around here is just take what the game gives us," said Morris. "If that's throwing 40 times, that's throwing 40 times; if it's running the ball 40 times, then it's running it. I think we prepare for both and take what the game gives us."

With a little help from the running game and his running backs, Cassel could make his next start better than his last in the one area that really counts - the final score. Chatsworth lost that playoff game to Palisades, 49-42.

That's one memory Cassel can't run from.

Christopher L. Gasper can be reached at cgasper@globe.com.

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

BUILDING A CASSEL: The Jets hope they can rattle Patriots quarterback Matt Cassell, who is replacing Tom Brady who went down with a season-ending left knee injury.Posted: 3:07 am

September 12, 2008

The JetsNew York Jets aren't playing for second anymore.

The acquisition of Brett Favre was expected to make the Jets playoff contenders, but still second fiddle to Tom Brady and the Patriots in the AFC East. On Sunday that changed when Brady went down with a season-ending left knee injury and little-used Matt Cassel stepped into his awfully large cleats, leading the Patriots to a 17-10 win over the Chiefs.

Cassel's first start since high school, he was third string at USC behind Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, will come this Sunday at the Meadowlands when Gang Green will have a chance to prove they are finally the ones to beat in the AFC East.

"They do have a phenomenal staff and have been through adversity before," former Raiders quarterback and CBS analyst Rich Gannon said of the Patriots. "They should be able to rally the troops and they still have a solid team, but it really makes that race interesting. Now with the addition of Brett Favre this is not only an interesting game, but that is one of the great stories in the NFL."

If you think the Jets will be throwing a pity party the three-time Super Bowl champs and the reigning MVP, think again.

"Your human side you never want to see anyone get hurt, but let's be honest if you are Eric Mangini or the Jets defense you have to be excited," Gannon said. "They lost not only their best player, but a very pivotal player in the whole scheme of things.

"They just lost the rudder off their ship, whether or not they can steer back on course we will have to see. The waters are going to be a lot choppier without that guy. I can promise you that."

Gannon was scratching his head over the Jets trading for Favre, but his performance in the 20-14 win in Miami combined with Brady's injury has him convinced it was the right move.

"When you don't have the history in a system or a background with the players, it slows you down," Gannon said.

"And you can fall three or steps behind, I thought that would be a problem particularly in the first month of the season. But they probably pared down the playbook, and he was impressive. Now each week he is going to get more comfortable. Everything is going to start coming around more."

But Gannon warns that even with Cassel behind center, the Patriots still possess plenty of weapons on both sides of the ball.

"The Patriots will be solid on defense, and they will be smart with Cassel," he said. "But you don't have Randy Moss and Wes Welker out there and not use them. They will have plenty of opportunities to make big plays."

justin.terranova@nypost.com

Patriots at Jets

Sunday - 4:15 P.M. CBS

JETS will seize the day

September 12, 2008

THE New York Jets had loaded up to try to beat Tom Brady and the Patriots, revamping the offensive line, putting Brett Favre behind center, and bringing in edge pass rushers to try to get to Brady the way the GiantsNew York Giants did in Super Bowl XLII. Now that Brady is gone, the Jets will be looking to pounce on a great opportunity, while the Pats are wondering how they'll stay on top without their all-world QB. Positive energy vs. negative energy.

The Pats have tons of talent from an 18-1 season all over the field and are still an upper-echelon team even without Brady. But this is the day the Jets put it all together, once and for all.

The pick: Jets -11/2.

Giants (-81/2) over RAMS: The Kings of the Road won their last 11 games away from Giants Stadium last season, and find a good situation for their first trip of 2008. With an extra three days between games, the Giants will be in full smashmouth mode against the NFL's flag football franchise.

CHIEFS (-31/2) over Raiders: Damon Huard starts at QB for KC in place of the injured Brodie Croyle. Raiders were a disgrace vs. the Broncos on Monday night. Not sure how Lane Kiffin will fix that mess with quick turnaround.

Titans (+1) over BENGALS: Titans had seven sacks last week vs. the Jags, and they don't lose much with Kerry Collins at QB in place of Vince Young.

VIKINGS (+2) over Colts: Seems as if the wrong team is favored here, especially after the Colts were hammered at home by the Bears. Vikings put up a better fight in their loss at Green Bay on Monday night.

REDSKINS (pick) over Saints: Jim Zorn's going to have to get a heck of a lot more creative than he was against the Giants, but the Saints will be without top receiver Marques Colston.

Packers (-3) over LIONS: Aaron Rodgers handled the pressures of a home Monday night debut as Brett Favre's heir. He should have no problem putting up points against a Lions team that gave up 34 to Atlanta rookie QB Matt Ryan.

PANTHERS (-3) over Bears: Battle of surprise Week 1 winners - Panthers at San Diego; Bears at Indianapolis. Prefer Jake Delhomme to Kyle Orton, and also like Carolina D that limited LaDainian Tomlinson to 97 yards and no TDs.

Bills (+51/2) over JAGUARS: Jags lost both starting guards (Mo Williams and Vince Manuwai) for the season, and center Brad Meester also is injured. It'll be hard for a team that lives on the ground to make up for this kind of decimation. Bills will be able to take advantage.

Falcons (+7) over BUCCANEERS: Michael Turner rushed for 220 yards in his Falcons debut last week, but that was against the no-show Lions D. He'll have a tougher time vs. the Bucs, but spread's a little hefty considering Brian Griese is in for Jeff Garcia for Bucs.

SEAHAWKS (-7) over 49ers: The Seahawks got annihilated by the Bills last week, and Mike Holmgren should be able to use that disaster to coax a good effort out of his team in its home opener. Niners just don't have much going on.

Dolphins (+61/2) over CARDINALS: In honor of the late, great Odd Couple, which departed these pages following the retirement of Dick Klayman, we proudly turn one selection a week over to Klayman's picking partner, Peter Tocco. Says Tocco: Dolphins never quit last week vs. the Jets, and in the end, Chad PenningtonChad Pennington was throwing the ball into the end zone for a potential victory. Like the points, but this is a game Miami can win outright.

TEXANS (-41/2) over Ravens: Sorry, Joe Flacco, but not every Sunday is going to be as easy as a stroll against the Bengals D. Texans will be looking for a bounce-back after getting lit up by the Steelers.

Chargers (-11/2) over BRONCOS: Not sure what to make of Denver's 41-14 win in the opener; the Raiders were just out-to-lunch awful. Chargers won 41-3 at Invesco last season.

BROWNS (+6) over Steelers: The Browns showed nothing on either side of the ball vs. Dallas, but wouldn't expect a second home stinker in a row. Romeo Crennel's team has enough talent to stay inside the number.

MONDAY NIGHT

Eagles (+7) over COWBOYS: Was completely impressed by both teams in their opening-day routs. Have to like starting this one with a full touchdown head start.

BEST BETS: Panthers, Chiefs, Texans.

dblezow@nypost.com

Coles still loyal to his good friend PenningtonBY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

September 12, 2008

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Laveranues Coles spoke for only the second time since his good friend Chad Pennington was released to make room for Brett Favre, and he gave the amateur psychologists plenty with which to work.

"I don't have a feel for him and he doesn't have a feel for me," Coles said yesterday of his on-field relationship with Favre. "That is one of the things I am going to have to deal with. In the past I've always known when the ball was coming. Now you don't really know."

Coles still is fiercely protective of Pennington, with whom he still talks often.

"Again, our relationship goes deeper than just football," Coles said. "He's happy, I'll tell you that much. Any time you're somewhere where you're really wanted and people are excited about having you there ... He's happy to be there and I'm happy for him."

Coles, who missed the four preseason games with a hamstring injury, has not sounded enthusiastic about having Favre as his quarterback and didn't again yesterday, but he said Sunday that's a product of loyalty toward Pennington. It also should be pointed out that Coles and Favre, whose lockers are next to each other, have been seen talking and laughing with each other, both at practice and in the locker room, from the time Favre arrived.

"There are no quarrels with me and Brett," Coles said Sunday. "Never been since Day 1."

Feely fired up

Kicker Jay Feely, who signed with the Jets Monday night to replace the injured Mike Nugent, said one Sunday sitting at home watching games was enough for him.

"It was exciting," Feely said of getting the call from the Jets. "It gives you a different perspective. It's very humbling to sit at home and watch the game, and I kind of realized how much I loved to play and how much I still want to play. Not that that had waned at all, but when you're not playing, you appreciate it a lot more."

Injury update

DB David Barrett (shoulder), Coles (thigh), DE Shaun Ellis (hand), WR Marcus Henry (calf) and CB Justin Miller (foot) were limited in practice.

For the second straight day, WR Sam Aiken (knee) and TE Ben Watson (knee) did not practice for the Patriots. LB Eric Alexander (calf), WR Jabar Gaffney (knee), CB Ellis Hobbs (shoulder), WR Randy Moss (back), and CB Lewis Sanders (head) were limited.

Jets' Coles still trying to get comfortable with Favre

By Jane McManus

The Journal News • September 12, 2008

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Last season, Laveranues Coles was the go-to guy in the locker room. A captain and spokesperson, he was approachable and secure in his position as No. 1 receiver to start the year.

Yet, ever since the departure of his close friend, quarterback Chad Pennington, Coles' place on the team and his demeanor off the field have changed. As effortless as it was with Pennington, Coles is struggling to connect with new quarterback Brett Favre on the field.

"I don't have a feel for him and he doesn't have a feel for me," Coles said of Favre yesterday. "That is one of the things I am going to have to deal with."

Coles broke his self-imposed silence after the Jets beat Miami and its new quarterback, Pennington, on Sunday, but it is clear from statements Coles made yesterday that the issue isn't exactly in the past for the wide receiver.

"I got a job, I'm happy to be where I am and I'm dealing with it," Coles said.

While Pennington and Coles seemed to have built-in radar for each other, the same can't be said of Coles and Favre. The two connected on just one pass for 5 yards against Miami, and couldn't work out the timing on an end-zone pass.

"That play was a touchdown," Favre said. "I didn't think he was going to do something totally different but I thought he was going to cut in just a little. We've never ran that play together. We've talked about it but we talked about it against five, six, seven or eight different looks. He almost made a hell of a catch on the pass interference. If I had picked the ball up just a little bit more, that's an easy catch."

Jets coach Eric Mangini hopes the connection improves. Not so subtly, the Jets placed Coles locker right next to Favre's.

"I think you'd like to say that you definitely would hit it if you practice more," Mangini said, "but I think there's two good players there and Laveranues will get open again and I'm sure Brett will get him the ball."

Coles didn't get into as many 11-on-11 practices during training camp because of a thigh injury. Upon arrival, Favre made a point of introducing himself and saying he wasn't there to replace Pennington, and the two spent some time on an opposite field going over preferred routes.

"I would never expect to have the same relationship with anybody that I had with (Chad)," Coles said. "It was just one of them things that we had. We had special chemistry. We never sat and watched film together, we never did a lot of things together, we just knew. Of course it's different, it's different for everybody and everybody's trying to learn."

After the game, Coles was statistically at the bottom of the list of Jets receivers.

"I don't know what's going to happen next week but you can see where there's just a couple of plays where you thought that if they just get on the same page, look how good they can be," Favre said. "The potential is there, we're close but you can see when you make little mistakes how different it can be."

Last year with Pennington, Coles started 10 of the 12 games he played and had 55 receptions for 646 yards; in 2006 he had 91 catches for 1,098 yards. He is in sixth place on the Jets' all-time receptions list coming into this season. Those numbers were the result of a relationship forged on draft day 2000, when the Jets drafted both players. Coles played for the Redskins from 2003-04.

Coles and Pennington still talk frequently, and Coles said it didn't seem weird to see his old quarterback in teal and orange for one simple reason.

"He's happy, I can tell you that much," Coles said. "Any time you're somewhere where you're really wanted and people are excited about having you there, he's happy to be there and I'm happy for him."

Coles just doesn't sound quite as upbeat about his own situation with the Jets anymore.

Reach Jane McManus at jmcmanus@lohud.com.

Thursday, September 11th 2008, 10:55 PM

SPYGATE never swings fully shut for the Patriots- G. Myers

Kerry Rhodes wishes Tom Brady wasn't hurt, so the Jets and Patriots could play healthy, putting the SpyGate scandal behind.

Sipkin/News

Bill Belichick will have former backup quarterback Matt Cassel calling shots this weekend and possibly for the rest of the season.

The Jets want to prove they're not even distant cousins to last year's 4-12 bunch of misfits and that with Brett Favre they can play with anybody. And they don't want an asterisk along with it.

That's why safety Kerry Rhodes, the Jets' best defensive player, wishes Tom Brady was healthy for Sunday's game against the Patriots in what has made "Bill Belichick: SpyGate One Year Later," just a subplot.

But with Brady's knee injury costing him this season, the Jets will get Matt Cassel, who is starting his first game since his senior year of high school in 1999.

"Me, personally, you would rather see Brady over there playing," Rhodes said Thursday at the Florham Park practice facility. "If you win now, you don't want to hear, 'If Brady was there, they probably wouldn't have won.' It kind of takes away from it, but you can't worry about that. We have to worry about playing who is there now and that is Matt Cassel."

During the off week before the Super Bowl in February, when Brady had a walking boot on his injured right foot, the Giants were saying they wanted him healthy so if they beat the Pats there would be no excuses. Rhodes feels the same way. "When you are a competitor, you want to be in a competitive situation - he's one of the best quarterbacks ever to play this game," he said. "If he's there, it's going to be a different atmosphere. It could be a different outcome because he's that type of player. He can win a game by himself."

The Jets are 2-11 against Brady in the regular season and 0-1 in the playoffs. They improved their chances to beat him by trading for Favre, but not as much as they're improved by facing Cassel. But Rhodes doesn't see the balance of power shifting just yet.

"Oh no, they are the favorites. They are the team to beat right now," he said. "They are the team that was 16-0 last year. These guys are still good minus one great player. That is how we are looking at it."

How the Pats handle life without Brady is the No.1 question. No.2? Will Belichick and Eric Mangini shake hands or exchange a fist bump after the game? We do know they are not even talking.

They were in the same restaurant at breakfast at the league meetings in April five months ago, but weren't exactly swapping old SpyGate stories over coffee and bagels. Their relationship has been dissected more thoroughly than Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson. "I'd say it's the same as it has been," Mangini said Thursday. "No change."

That means they have no relationship.

At the AFC coaches media breakfast in Palm Beach, Fla., each of the 16 coaches was assigned his own table. Belichick came in first and was surrounded by reporters anticipating his first extensive comments about SpyGate. All the way on the other side of the room, with a table so far away it would have been in the Atlantic Ocean if it was pushed back another few feet, Mangini sat with a very small contingent of reporters. It was no accident the NFL placed their tables on opposite sides of the room. Mangini and Belichick were in the same hotel, in the same meeting rooms, for four days. Did they speak at all?

(Page 2 of 2)

"No," Mangini said.

On the one-year anniversary plus one week of Belichick getting exposed as a cheater as the SpyGate scandal erupted at Giants Stadium, the animosity between these two organizations and coaches has not subsided at all. "It's in the past for us," Rhodes said. "For them, there may be some ill feelings towards us."

It is Belichick's third trip back to the Meadowlands - the final regular-season game against the Giants in '07 and a preseason game a couple of weeks ago - since he was busted for spying. But the issue comes to life again because he's returning to play the Jets.

His once mentor-pupil relationship with Mangini became frosty when Mangini took the Jets' job in 2006, which Belichick obviously viewed as an act of insubordination. The relationship ended over SpyGate. Belichick backers painted Mangini as a traitor for ratting out his former boss.

They are no longer on speaking terms except when Belichick mumbled, "Great game, Eric. Great game. Awesome," and shook Mangini's hand after the Patriots beat the Jets, 20-10, in Foxborough in December.

Since the spying stopped in the first game last year, it didn't affect the Patriots' 16-0 regular season. But there is still a question whether it taints the three Super Bowls they won during the Belichick era before his cameras were confiscated.

"If somebody is cheating, it's an advantage," Rhodes said. "I don't know how much they implemented what they learned from us, but it was definitely an advantage."

Does it tarnish their accomplishments? "It definitely puts a cloud over what you have accomplished from the outside world looking in," Rhodes said. "It's a tough question to answer."

Brady isn't even playing and he's dominating all the pregame talk. It hides the real issue: Will Mangini and Belichick shake hands or ignore each other like a plate of cold scrambled eggs?

gmyers@nydailynews.com

Laveranues Coles, Brett Favre trying to get on same page

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, September 11th 2008, 11:50 PM

Boan/AP

Laveranues Coles says he'll never have chemistry with any quarterback like he did with old mate Chad Pennington.

How long does it take a quarterback and a receiver to develop chemistry? Laveranues Coles believes he "had it the first day" with former teammate Chad Pennington. It hasn't been that easy with Brett Favre, and Coles suspects it'll never be the same for him without Pennington.

"To be honest, I would never expect to have the same relationship with anybody that I had with (Pennington)," Coles said Thursday in Florham Park, candidly discussing his growing pains with Favre. "We had a special chemistry. We never sat and watched film together. We never did a lot of things together. We just knew."

Coles is watching extra film with Favre, and they are trying to make up for the time they missed because of Coles' thigh injury in the preseason, but it was obvious in last week's opener that it's still a work in progress. Favre fired a 5-yard completion to Coles on the Jets' first play - a purposeful call by the coaches - but that was their only connection.

"I don't have a feel for him, he doesn't have a feel for me," Coles said. "That's one of the things I have to deal with. Back in the past, I always knew when the ball was coming. Now you don't know. It's just different, totally different for me."

The Coles-Favre relationship is critical to the team's success. Clearly, Favre has developed a rapport with Jerricho Cotchery, but it will take more than that for the Jets to have a potent passing attack. Coles, 30, remains their most accomplished receiver, still capable of drawing extra coverage, which creates opportunities for others.

This could be a good week for Coles and Favre to get going. The Patriots, whom the Jets face Sunday at the Meadowlands, are vulnerable in the secondary. The Jets don't usually run well against New England's stout front seven, so it makes sense for Favre to attack in the air.

Favre should've had three touchdown passes last week, but he missed a wide-open Coles in the end zone because of a miscommunication. Favre thought Coles was going to cut in; Coles kept going straight. Against a team as good as the Patriots, a mistake like that could cost the Jets the game.

"I think you would like to say that you'd definitely hit that if you practice more, but I think there are two good players there," Eric Mangini said. "Laveranues will get open again and I'm sure Brett will get him the ball."

Coles said he doesn't have any problems with Favre, but he described it as a difficult transition because he was so close to Pennington, who was released after the Favre trade and signed with the Dolphins. Until last Sunday in Miami, Coles hadn't spoken to the media for a month, claiming he "didn't want to distract our team any more than it already had been distracted."

While other players have gushed about Favre, Coles has remained lukewarm. Asked if Favre makes the Jets a playoff team, Coles replied, "I thought that from the beginning, not because he's here. I was thinking like that even before he came."

The veteran receiver also didn't seem comfortable with the extra attention that Favre has generated.

"Things are a little different," Coles said. "I'm one of those people that would rather fly under the radar, but with Brett on board, of course we're not going to sneak up on anybody."

TIGHT-LIPPED: TE Chris Baker admitted he probably wouldn't have received a new contract if he had continued to publicly criticize the organization. "Had I gone the route I was going in the spring - who knows? - I probably wouldn't be ready right now," he said. Baker signed a three-year, $12.2 million extension through 2012, but none of the money is guaranteed. Baker, 28, said he wants to finish his career with the Jets. ... Mangini on whether the change in kickers, from injured Mike Nugent to just-signed Jay Feely, is causing him anxiety: "Less anxiety than having Kellen (Clemens) kick." He's the backup QB and emergency kicker.

Eric Mangini: No Randy Moss loss

By Karen Guregian / Patriots Notebook

Thursday, September 11, 2008 - Updated 14h ago

+ Recent Articles Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist

E-mail Printable (0) Comments Text size Share (0) Rate

FOXBORO - Jets coach Eric Mangini claims it isn’t much different preparing for a Matt Cassel-led offense as opposed to a Tom Brady [stats]-led offense.

Translation?

Just because Brady isn’t throwing the football, that doesn’t mean he’s going to ignore Randy Moss. Even if the wide receiver doesn’t have his favorite quarterback throwing him the ball, Mangini isn’t going to change the way he will defend Moss when the teams meet Sunday at the Meadowlands.

Au contraire.

Mangini will blanket Moss as planned. No changes there.

“Moss is tough to cover regardless of who is throwing him the ball,” Mangini said during his conference call with the New England media yesterday. “The best example is the 51-yarder that he caught (against Kansas City) when they were backed up (on the goal line). He is an explosive, explosive player. He and Tom had great chemistry, but I can’t imagine that he is going to be that much less explosive.”

Hobbs won’t pass

Cornerback Ellis Hobbs [stats] isn’t shy about distinguishing the difference between facing the Jets with Brett Favre running the offense rather than former quarterback Chad Pennington [stats].

“He has the ability to make more throws. With his stronger arm, he has the ability to throw more downfield, and keep the ball alive a little longer,” Hobbs said of Favre. “Pennington is kind of limited with the mobility, comeback routes, things like that. Favre just has the ability to throw the ball all over the field, wherever he wants. His arm is that strong. He can throw in tight situations, tight coverage.

“He can make more throws than Pennington. He can hit the comeback routes, he can hit the deep balls, he has the ability to keep the play alive, where with Pennington, they were going to short drop it, and get the ball in the skill players’ hands, this and that. It’s the same concepts, the same mentality, but it’s expanded a little bit because Favre is that (much) better of a passer.”

A blow by Harrison

Safety Rodney Harrison [stats] was quick with a quip when asked if the loss of Brady for the season represents the most adversity he’s ever faced in an NFL season.

“I can’t say that,” the ex-San Diego Charger said. “I’d just say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record, that’s probably the biggest challenge.” . . .

Kevin Faulk [stats] was back practicing and is eligible to play this week after sitting out the season opener for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

“It was very painful,” Faulk said of the one-game suspension imposed, “but the week went by, and now I’m here and ready to play football.” . . .

Both Moss (back) and fellow wide receiver Jabar Gaffney [stats] (knee) were limited in their participation in practice yesterday. Moss was wearing a wrap on his back after being hit from behind on his 10-yard touchdown catch against the Chiefs on Sunday.

Moss sold on team spirit

Asked how big of a factor Brady’s presence was in his decision to re-sign for three more years with the Patriots [team stats], Moss said it had more to do with the whole.

“It was a big factor, but it wasn’t the main factor,” Moss said. “With me being here and being able to get with a team that is about team, and really expresses, ‘team,’ that is really all I have been about is being a team player and having team success. I think that is what played a key factor in me coming back here was the overall team concept in the locker room and even in practice.

AdChoice

“It wasn’t just about going 18-1 and having that Super Bowl appearance. With everything that we accomplished last year, we had a lot of fun behind closed doors whether it was in the locker room or over at a guy’s house watching film. They understand how to be a team and what winning is about around here. I can definitely appreciate that.” . . .

Patriots coach Bill Belichick didn’t want to detail the team’s use of the defensive headset in the season opener. Mike Vrabel wore a green dot on his helmet, signifying it was fitted with communication system, but Belichick didn’t provide much information.

“I’m not going to get into it,” he said. “I don’t know how many plays we had on defense - 65 plays. Which play we did (use it), which play we didn’t, what he heard? I mean, really. To some degree it was used, but I would say overall, minimal.”

Read the Patriots Point After blog every day at bostonherald.com.

STFU and quit telling opposing teams that you have no chemistry still (i.e dont double me, double Cotch) and quit crying cause your unhealthy love puppy Chad is gone. Boo freakin Hoo ..Man up and be a pro,,damn,,what a freakin crybaby..

JETS WIDE RECEIVER STILL NOT IN SYNCH WITH FAVRE

By MARK CANNIZZARO

sports112a.jpg

LAV LOST: Although Laveranues Coles enjoyed a great on- and off-field relationship with former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington (above right), he hasn't reached that level of comfort with new QB Brett Favre.

Last updated: 10:17 am

September 12, 2008

September 12, 2008

For Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles t.gif, there appears to be no joy in Jetville.

The departure of Pennington t.gif seems to still be weighing on Coles, who while speaking to reporters yesterday sounded joyless compared to the usual jovial, joking, give-and-take vibe he gives off to those who cover the team.

There's a distinct lack of enthusiasm in the voice of Coles, who was extremely upset when the JetsNew York Jets t.gif released Pennington once Brett Favre was acquired.

This much should be made clear: Coles does not have a problem with Favre. He merely misses Pennington, his close friend, and appears still to be trying to come to terms with that departure.

With the Jets facing their archrivals, the Patriots, Sunday in their home opener, this week would be a good time for Coles to put Pennington behind him and jump aboard the Favre bandwagon.

Coles candidly conceded that he still is searching for a synergy with Favre that's at least similar or close to what he had with Pennington on the field.

"I don't have a feel for him; he doesn't have a feel for me," Coles said of Favre. "That's one of the things I'm going to have to deal with."

When it was pointed out that Coles and Pennington had some six years to develop their chemistry, Coles said quickly, "We had it the day we walked in the door."

"I would never expect to have the same relationship with anybody that I have with (Pennington)," Coles said. "It was just one of those things we had. We had a special chemistry. We never sat and watched film together, we just knew.

"In the past (with Pennington), I always knew when the ball was coming. Now (with Favre) you don't really know. It's just really different. He's getting adjusted and I'm just doing what I'm supposed to do and that's it.

"Whenever you get introduced to a new quarterback you don't have a feel for him. He's being introduced to a new offense and new players."

Though the rest of the players in the Jets' locker room are positively euphoric about the addition of Favre and all the possibilities his presence presents, Coles seems to be the last to catch the fever.

Coles, who missed all four preseason games with a leg injury and played his first game with Favre at quarterback last Sunday in Miami, produced one catch for five yards in the Jets' 20-14 win over the Dolphins.

He was seemingly open in the end zone on one play, but Favre led him by too much and the pass fell incomplete. Favre later said he was expecting Coles to make an "in cut" on the play, but Coles didn't.

"Absolutely, that play was a touchdown," Favre said. "I didn't think (Coles) was going to do something totally different, but I thought he was going to cut in just a little. We've never run that play together.

"I don't know what's going to happen (this week), but you can see where there's just a couple of plays where you thought that if they just get on the same page, look how good they can be. The potential is there. We're close."

But not as close as Coles and Pennington. That duo became so close ("Our relationship goes deeper than just football," Coles said), Pennington had Coles at "Hello."

I've read 3 different articles & none of them are in the least bit bashing, whining or biting.

Don't get sucked into analyzing every word he says. they aren't in sync yet. period.

I expect him to perform nothing short of outstanding sunday playin his ass off & his heart out. He speaks his mind. the media & fans read into it waaaaay too much.

I've read 3 different articles & none of them are in the least bit bashing, whining or biting.

Don't get sucked into analyzing every word he says. they aren't in sync yet. period.

I expect him to perform nothing short of outstanding sunday playin his ass off & his heart out. He speaks his mind. the media & fans read into it waaaaay too much.

i think i disagree,,i seriously think he is gay.

i think this thing goes much deeper...chad aint gay, but coles has a unhealthy 'attachement' to chad and its effecting his game...

Well, Laverneus is consistent. He is a high-maintenance guy. His love for Chad didn't mean much when he forced himself to the Redskins by causing grief over money. He really needs to grow up. The Jets rescued him from the scrap heap to start his career. Apparently, he has no appreciation for anything that anyone has done for him longer than 5 minutes ago. Perhaps he and Vince Young can go to therapy together.

Archived