Derek Jeter says he's spoken to CC Sabathia about Yankees

Maxman

Derek Jeter says he's spoken to CC Sabathia about Yankees

BY ANTHONY McCARRON

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 7th 2008, 10:10 PM

alg_safe-at-home.jpg Smith for News Tino Martinez, Joe Torre and Derek Jeter. Joe and Ali Torre. Joe Torre hosts "Safe At Home Foundation" Gala at Pier 60, Chelsea Piers.

Derek Jeter wouldn't call it recruiting, but the Yankee captain said Friday night that he has spoken this offseason to CC Sabathia, perhaps the Yanks' most vital free agent target.

"He's asked questions about us," Jeter said on the red carpet before the annual fund-raising dinner for Joe Torre's Safe at Home Foundation at Chelsea Piers. "But I'll leave it at that. A private conversation that you have with someone is private. If he wants to talk about it, I'll give him the opportunity to do it first."

RELATED: BOMBERS LIKE 1B MARK TEIXEIRA

Jeter said he did not have a ready "sales pitch" about the Yanks for Sabathia, the terrific lefty and this winter's top pitching free agent. Jeter was coy about who called whom, but it sounded like Sabathia called him. "I don't ever try to sell New York," Jeter said. "I'm there if someone wants to ask me questions about different things. But really I don't think you have to sell the organization. I think everyone understands what comes along with playing here. You're expected to win. It's a great place to play. It's not like I would call someone to try and sell them on it. I leave that up to them if they need convincing. Guys tend to ask questions when I talk to them about different things."

Jeter has gotten friendly with Sabathia from playing against him since 2001, when Sabathia was a 20-year-old rookie with Cleveland. The two also were AL All-Star teammates in 2004 and 2007. Sabathia, 28, was a combined 17-10 with a 2.70 ERA for the Indians and Brewers last season. After Cleveland traded him to Milwaukee midseason, he was 11-2 with a 1.65 ERA, leading the Brewers into the playoffs in part because he pitched and won on three days' rest several times down the stretch.

READ ALSO: OBAMA WIN MAY BRING CHANGE YANKEES FANS CAN BELIEVE IN

The Yanks have said repeatedly since the end of the season that they need starting pitchers, so Sabathia would fit well. "We need more than one," Jorge Posada said Friday night. "We'll start with one. Obviously, we'll see who wants to come here and hopefully we can land two big pitchers."

RELATED: YANKEES READY PEAVY PITCH

The Brewers, who have an exclusive negotiating window with Sabathia until Friday, have already made an offer that is reportedly for $100 million over five years and are expecting further negotiating. The Yanks met this past week with Sabathia's agents at the GM meetings in California, where they could only express their preliminary interest in last year's AL Cy Young winner. Some believe that Sabathia would prefer to play in his native California - he's from Vallejo, which is near Oakland. Jeter said he wasn't sure. "Do I believe that?" Jeter said. "I don't know. I didn't ask him."

At least I have that.

Remember when you used to make people laugh? Me Neither.

My mantle has multiple funniest poster awards on it. What does your mantle have on it? That's right nothing because you don't have a mantle, you live in your girlfriend's house. LOL.

Now stop hijacking my threads.

Archived