Yankees intend to blow away Sabathia

NIGHT STALKER

CC Sabathia does not need the Yankees to flirt with him. He knows their intentions already. All things being equal, Sabathia wants to go home to California and play in the NL, where he can hit. But as a friend of Sabathia's said yesterday, "he is mature enough and realistic enough to know that the Yankees might not make it close. And if it is not close - no matter how much he likes the West Coast and likes hitting - he is not going to walk away from $25 million. This is not rocket science. It is about how much more the Yanks will spend than anybody else." One Yankee executive said, "we have to separate ourselves." Translation: They must divest Sabathia of his dreams of the Pacific and the batter's box by going to a financial region relatively quickly that no other franchise would even consider, especially in this plummeting economy. That means a bid north of the six years at $137.5 million the Mets bestowed last year on Johan Santana. My gut says six years at $150 million sounds about right to force league-wide surrender before the bidding really even gets started. (New York Post)

The guy is 300 pounds and has thrown a TON of innings the past few years. His numbers in the AL are good but not great.

I know the Yankees need him but this one has scary written all over it. Yes, they have no other choice. New stadium, etc. But for that money hopefully they can get a weight clause put in there.

I swear Duante Culpepper is his personal trainer.

The guy is 300 pounds and has thrown a TON of innings the past few years. His numbers in the AL are good but not great.

I know the Yankees need him but this one has scary written all over it. Yes, they have no other choice. New stadium, etc. But for that money hopefully they can get a weight clause put in there.

Just be thankful it's not our money.;)

Agreed 1000000%....I know he's going to be a Yankee for what will probably be a record contract....and that scares me.

Agreed 1000000%....I know he's going to be a Yankee for what will probably be a record contract....and that scares me.

Why does it scare you? This isn't football with a salary cap...Yanks will just open up their pockets and spend more. Now, if this was a trade and we gave up a couple of prospects that turned out to be front line players, then I would be pissed...so, it's just Yankees money and they will be making even more with the new YS.

Why does it scare you? This isn't football with a salary cap...Yanks will just open up their pockets and spend more. Now, if this was a trade and we gave up a couple of prospects that turned out to be front line players, then I would be pissed...so, it's just Yankees money and they will be making even more with the new YS.

Because as a Yankee fan it doesn't only bother me a great deal when they lose, it also bothers me when the FO is made to look like a bunch of clowns which is what they allowed A-Rod and Boras to do to them last season. I'm not a big fan of wathing teams pay $200 million plus only to get beaten by teams with a payroll well under $100 mil. That's just me. I'd like to have a FO that knows a little bit about baseball and doesn't have to keep signing player after player to make up for previous screw ups.

Legitimate concerns. But i'd rather overpay for an Ace than get a good deal on a mid rotation starter.

The problem is we overpay for mediocre or "past-their-prime" talent. Let's overpay for an Ace in his prime for once.

Archived