So the Siena Saints are the best college basketball team in NYS

Matt39

Who knows, but SI did have Siena at 29 and Syracuse at 30.

Siena whooped Boise St by 30 in their opener.

And if Siena was in the Big East...Do you honestly think they would still be ranked that high?

Do you honestly think if Cuse was in Siena's conference, they wouldn't be the consensus choice to finish 1st in the conference this season?

And if Siena was in the Big East...Do you honestly think they would still be ranked that high?

Do you honestly think if Cuse was in Siena's conference, they wouldn't be the consensus choice to finish 1st in the conference this season?

Siena and Cuse's talent is about even.

So, its tough to say.

You honestly CUse would be more than a 10+ favorite? I cant imagine that, considering how closely they are ranked.

You said heavy favorite so I gave you 10.

On a neutral site, my guess is Cuse would be around a 10 point favorite...

First of all the two teams are only closely ranked in that SI poll.

In the AP poll, Syracuse is ranked 30th and Siena is ranked 40th.

In the ESPN/USA Today poll: Syracuse is ranked 31st and Siena is ranked 40th again.

Now... If you look at the SOS. Syracuse in conference has to play 7 top 25 teams, and a couple of them twice. (both AP and ESPN/USATODAY polls). They also have OOC games vs. Florida, vs. Kansas/Washington, and at Memphis. Siena's conference schedule includes no top 25 teams, and I'd go as far as to say the tougher opponents in that conference (MAAC) are on the same level as the bottom third of the Big East. Siena's OOC schedule includes 3 games against top 25 teams (Tenn, Pitt, and Kansas).

So, when comparing schedules. Cuse has potentially 3 OOC games vs top 25 opponents (at least 2), and play seven or eight conference games against top 25 opponents. Considering all that and the fact that Cuse is still comfortably in front of Siana in the polls. I would say that Syracuse would definitely be a heavy favorite in any game vs. Siena.

By the way, where are you seeing this SI poll where Siena is ranked ahead of Cuse? The only power rankings I saw after taking a quick look at their site was dated march 28th, and Siena was nowhere to be found on those rankings...

Archived