Lupica weekly shot at Yanks & fans.

GimmeShelter

Most Yankee fans are tremendous, the way most New York fans are.

But always there is this loud minority thinking they have special insights into baseball that nobody else has because, well, they're Yankee fans.

These are the ones who think that the earth hasn't been spinning properly because the Yankees haven't won the World Series in eight years.

Somehow these are the fans who manage to be arrogant - and look like the floor show of New York sports - even when they feel like their team is being picked on for spending vulgar amounts of money.

And while we're on the subject:

Ten years ago, we were privileged to watch as magnificent a Yankee team as there has been in the whole history of the Yankees.

The '98 Yankees won 114 regular season games and then won 11 more in the playoffs, those 11 in October Reggie is always talking about, which made 125 wins in all.

And you want to know what the best part is?

They didn't lead the world in payroll that year.

The Orioles did.

The Yankees didn't need to have the highest paid guys at half the positions on the field.

Here, in fact, is the team Joe Torre had on the field for the last game of the World Series that year:

Knoblauch, Jeter, O'Neill, Bernie, Tino, Brosius, Ricky Ledee, a pitcher named Andy Pettitte and a catcher named Joe Girardi.

Not exactly the '27 Yankees.

They just played that way.

Most Yankee fans are tremendous, the way most New York fans are.

But always there is this loud minority thinking they have special insights into baseball that nobody else has because, well, they're Yankee fans.

These are the ones who think that the earth hasn't been spinning properly because the Yankees haven't won the World Series in eight years.

Somehow these are the fans who manage to be arrogant - and look like the floor show of New York sports - even when they feel like their team is being picked on for spending vulgar amounts of money.

And while we're on the subject:

Ten years ago, we were privileged to watch as magnificent a Yankee team as there has been in the whole history of the Yankees.

The '98 Yankees won 114 regular season games and then won 11 more in the playoffs, those 11 in October Reggie is always talking about, which made 125 wins in all.

And you want to know what the best part is?

They didn't lead the world in payroll that year.

The Orioles did.

The Yankees didn't need to have the highest paid guys at half the positions on the field.

Here, in fact, is the team Joe Torre had on the field for the last game of the World Series that year:

Knoblauch, Jeter, O'Neill, Bernie, Tino, Brosius, Ricky Ledee, a pitcher named Andy Pettitte and a catcher named Joe Girardi.

Not exactly the '27 Yankees.

They just played that way.

Really?

Is Lupica a member here?

Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

Aren't most fan bases (loud minority) like that? It seems writers and fans of other teams are more interested in what the Yankees are doing than what their teams are doing.

If the latter statement above isn't true, then I guess the Yankees are more important than you want to give them credit for. Worry about your team. I'm not worried about yours.

Lupica is 100% right.

When they got away from their "9 really good players that mesh well" strategy and went with the "this is an entertainment business, let's get the A list players", they surprisingly started not winning the WS again.

Lupica is 100% right.

When they got away from their "9 really good players that mesh well" strategy and went with the "this is an entertainment business, let's get the A list players", they surprisingly started not winning the WS again.

Look at this "chemistry" BS in reality.

Show me the losing team with great chemistry. Where are the stories about how great chemistry is on a bad team. Here's an example of the fallacy of wonderful chemistry-the 2008-09 New York Rangers. Oh, they go out to dinner, but their power play sucks, their defensemen don't hit and they lead the NHL is shorthanded goals allowed. But they have great chemistry!- http://www.nypost.com/seven/12282008/sports/rangers/rangers_screaming_out_for_avery_146193.htm

Show me the championship team that doesn't get along.Suspect whether you win short season A ball championship or the Super Bowl or Stanley Cup, everyone's going to get along great while the champagne is spilling. But does that mean every loves each other? C'mon. It's a wrokplace like any other.

I'll tell you what you'll find-those "chemistry" intangible things are stuff sportwriters like Lupica attach to good teams after the fact.

Think of it like this-a team of Scott Brosiuses, for all their wonderful intangibles, is over the course of a full season or 7 game series, is going to lose to a team of a-hole Manny Ramirezes. And that is reality.

Aren't most fan bases (loud minority) like that? It seems writers and fans of other teams are more interested in what the Yankees are doing than what their teams are doing.

If the latter statement above isn't true, then I guess the Yankees are more important than you want to give them credit for. Worry about your team. I'm not worried about yours.

No.

All fan bases have the loud minority. Just like all fan bases have fair weather fans.

However, only one fan base drops the "you do not know $hit because my team is the greatest MLB team of all-time." card.

Look at this "chemistry" BS in reality.

Show me the losing team with great chemistry. Where are the stories about how great chemistry is on a bad team. Here's an example of the fallacy of wonderful chemistry-the 2008-09 New York Rangers. Oh, they go out to dinner, but their power play sucks, their defensemen don't hit and they lead the NHL is shorthanded goals allowed. But they have great chemistry!- http://www.nypost.com/seven/12282008/sports/rangers/rangers_screaming_out_for_avery_146193.htm

Show me the championship team that doesn't get along.Suspect whether you win short season A ball championship or the Super Bowl or Stanley Cup, everyone's going to get along great while the champagne is spilling. But does that mean every loves each other? C'mon. It's a wrokplace like any other.

I'll tell you what you'll find-those "chemistry" intangible things are stuff sportwriters like Lupica attach to good teams after the fact.

Think of it like this-a team of Scott Brosiuses, for all their wonderful intangibles, is over the course of a full season or 7 game series, is going to lose to a team of a-hole Manny Ramirezes. And that is reality.

Lupica is a tad off, but the old Yankee teams were built different. Especially the one that is about to take the field. Look at the 98 Yankees. They did not have a collection of HofFers or potential Hof Fers, but they had 9 guys that could hit. They could hit for power. The could hit doubles. Most of them were even decent stealing bases. None of them could mash like A-Rod, but collectivelly they were better.

Chemistry is over rated. Ask every team that won a championship in MLB , during the 70's.

Chemistry IS overrated.

Having 9 guys who perform in the clutch instead of having 200M players who clean up against the Royals of the world, and choke in the clutch is another story.

Archived