SNY is Reporting the Yankees are talking to Sheets

Boynton Beach Jets

The Yankees are still talking to free agent pitchers Andy Pettitte and Ben Sheets as they seek to add yet another veteran pitcher to their vastly improved rotation. The Yankees are believed to be offering less guaranteed money than the $10 million that was on the table for months for Pettitte but still may prefer to bring him back.

While the Rangers have met twice with Sheets, the Yankees are one of a few teams considering the talented righthander. Sheets has provided a second medical report for teams to review but it isn't known how it differs from the first. His market has been slow despite a career full of accomplishments. At least one of the teams looking at Sheets appears to be hoping to keep it to a one-year deal.

The pitching market is rough right now, as the only remaining free agent starter known to have received an offer of at least three years is Oliver Perez, who received an offer of at least that length from the Mets. Free agents Randy Wolf and Jon Garland are believed to be getting one-year offers in the range of $5-to-7 million, with the Dodgers and Diamondbacks among the pursuers. The Bergen Record first mentioned renewed talks between Pettitte and the Yankees, who already added CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett to their rotation.

Jon Heyman SI

Personally I like the idea of having Sheets in the rotations, because of how dominant he can be, when healthy, but I do know we need a guy in there who MUST give us innings.

Burnett of course is no guarantee for 200 innings, and Joba is not going to be throwing 200 innings this season.

That puts a lot of pressure on Sabathia and Wang.

Maybe we can bring in Sheets and a guy like Jon Garland

Personally I like the idea of having Sheets in the rotations, because of how dominant he can be, when healthy, but I do know we need a guy in there who MUST give us innings.

Burnett of course is no guarantee for 200 innings, and Joba is not going to be throwing 200 innings this season.

That puts a lot of pressure on Sabathia and Wang.

Maybe we can bring in Sheets and a guy like Jon Garland

I cannot understand why Garland is still sitting out there.

Andy is not worth it at this stage of his career, they are better off signing Sheets and Juan Cruz for similar money it would cost for Andy

Agree. While Andy has had some very good seasons in his career a healthy Sheets is a top 10 to 15 or so SP in MLB. The guy just can't stay healthy although I believe his games and innings pitched are in the same area as Burnett over the last few years.

Sheets latest injury just came at the wrong time while Burnett finally had a big year......that was a swing in milions of dollars for both players.

The Yanks would be flat out filthy SP wise with a healthy Sheets.

Agree. While Andy has had some very good seasons in his career a healthy Sheets is a top 10 to 15 or so SP in MLB. The guy just can't stay healthy although I believe his games and innings pitched are in the same area as Burnett over the last few years.

Sheets latest injury just came at the wrong time while Burnett finally had a big year......that was a swing in milions of dollars for both players.

The Yanks would be flat out filthy SP wise with a healthy Sheets.

The upside could be worth it.

1)Sabathia

2)Sheets

3)Burnett

4)Wang

5)Chamberlin

Any of those 5 pitchers have Cy Young potential if healthy.

The upside could be worth it.

1)Sabathia

2)Sheets

3)Burnett

4)Wang

5)Chamberlin

Any of those 5 pitchers have Cy Young potential if healthy.

the only problem is right now that rotation is a durability nightmare.....the Yanks better have some back-up

Archived