Senior Bowl Scouting Report

Aqua4ever04

I did a scouting report for thephins.com; thought I'd share it here.

The Senior Bowl is an annual scouting game that displays several first round picks and multiple NFL talents. An entire week of practice concluded by a spirited game gives scouts and fans a chance to see which players will transition from poor college students to Sunday superstars making the luxurious big bucks.

The following is my scouting report from Saturday evening

Jerimiah Johnson will be a legit RB in the NFL. Watching him for the past few years at Oregon you immedietly recognize his amazing vision and elusiveness. He also suprisngly has a hell of a stiff arm.

I completely agree, man. His patience and ability to set up blocks really compliments his elusiveness.

also impressed with usc LBs and larry english

I think Maualuga and Cushing are a bit over rated but I really like Clay Matthews.

Larry English is a stud; he's, far and away, my choice for the Dolphins at 25. Too bad the Senior Bowl doesn't allow the 3-4 or blitzing, he wasn't allowed to do what he does best.

I have to say Aqua...and I'm probably going to hell for saying this...I actually really enjoyed this post. Not only that, I agreed with the analysis! SCARY!

I'm a UCONN Fan so the Beatty breakdown hurts (although agreed) but I do like Darius Butler at CB and all the reports are that he had a great Senior Week. His performance in the bowl I thought was pretty good. A couple mishaps, but mostly due to lost footing. He had fluid hips and good reads and I really think he helped his draft stock. Any thoughts?

I have to say Aqua...and I'm probably going to hell for saying this...I actually really enjoyed this post. Not only that, I agreed with the analysis! SCARY!

I'm a UCONN Fan so the Beatty breakdown hurts (although agreed) but I do like Darius Butler at CB and all the reports are that he had a great Senior Week. His performance in the bowl I thought was pretty good. A couple mishaps, but mostly due to lost footing. He had fluid hips and good reads and I really think he helped his draft stock. Any thoughts?

Thanks, man.

I just really want someone to be in Beatty's ear all day screaming at him, "HANDS UP!" He has tremendous feet, a good kick slide, and pretty good balance. I hate that thrust he does driving his hands from his hips and trying to flatten the defender. That's the only issue I have with his game. Fix that and he's a first rounder.

Darius Butler is a player. This is just another good corner class and I can't put him ahead of Malcolm Jenkins, Sean Smith, Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore or Vontae Davis. Although I do think he's a 2nd round pick.

The thing about the Senior Bowl, man, is the rules are so unfriendly for some positions and cornerback is one of those. They can't press and the coverages are limited to cover 1 and cover 3. But what I did see was excellent hips in the open field, a good push that won't get called for a PI, and a quick drive out of his back pedal.

I think Maualuga and Cushing are a bit over rated but I really like Clay Matthews.

Larry English is a stud; he's, far and away, my choice for the Dolphins at 25. Too bad the Senior Bowl doesn't allow the 3-4 or blitzing, he wasn't allowed to do what he does best.

I've got to disagree here. I've watched most of USC's games and I honestly don't think Maualuga's over rated. Maybe you're just upset at the number that USC did on Washington's teams. :biggrin:

Thanks, man.

The thing about the Senior Bowl, man, is the rules are so unfriendly for some positions and cornerback is one of those. They can't press and the coverages are limited to cover 1 and cover 3. But what I did see was excellent hips in the open field, a good push that won't get called for a PI, and a quick drive out of his back pedal.

Great point! The reads can't get any easier for these QBs, which really has to hurt a guy like Graham Harrell who just looked awful, but it does make it a little more tricky to evaluating all the attributes of the defensive backs.

Great point! The reads can't get any easier for these QBs, which really has to hurt a guy like Graham Harrell who just looked awful, but it does make it a little more tricky to evaluating all the attributes of the defensive backs.

Have you ever seen worse quarterbacking? My goodness that was difficult to watch. And you are spot on, on Graham Harrell; I kind of felt bad for him. I mean, he gets a bit of a pass because he's been in the shotgun his whole college career, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he couldn't drive the ball to the perimeter or connect and anything that could be considered an intermediate route.

I really think he might slip into the 7th or undrafted. He has so much work to do getting in and out of 3, 5 and 7 step drops, stepping up, setting up the mechanics and delivering the ball with proper armslot, foot placement and follow through.

EDIT: This discussion is living proof that complete opposites can co-exist. I could not disagree more on the teams you have chosen to root for, yet you offer a compelling basis for discussion. I enjoy it, dude. ;)

Archived