The alternate(?) Yankees logo

Jbro22

Yanklogo.JPG

Does anyone know the story behind this thing? I feel like the Yankees hardly use it. Not that I'm complaining, I like the interlocking NY much better. But where did this thing come from? I feel like it was used alot more in the 90's then it is now. Whats the deal?

It always puzzled me, that there's so much red in it too. There's no red anywhere else.

I found this on Wikipedia:

Description: This is a logo for New York Yankees. It is a historical logo. Its historical usage is as follows: This logo was created for the team in 1947 by Henry Alonzo Keller, and has since been modified. The most recent version was unveiled in the 1970s, by which time this version had been discontinued..Further details: White baseball logo with "Yankees" in red script, the vertical bar of the "k" forming a baseball bat topped with an Uncle Sam top hat.

Source The logo may be obtained from New York Yankees.

Low resolution? The logo is of insufficient resolution to impact the baseball club's ability to merchandise it..

Purpose of use The image is used to identify the organization New York Yankees, a subject of public interest. The significance of the logo is to help the reader identify the organization, assure the readers that they have reached the right article containing critical commentary about the organization, and illustrate the organization's intended branding message in a way that words alone could not convey.to illustrate the article on the New York Yankees, specifically the team's logo history.

Replaceable? As a copyrighted logo, no free alternative is possible.

Other information Use of the logo in the article complies with Wikipedia non-free content policy, logo guidelines, and fair use under United States copyright law as described above.

This from Wikipedia

The primary logo, created in 1947 by sports artist Henry Alonzo Keller[21], consists of "Yankees" against a baseball, written in red script with a red bat forming the vertical line of the K, an Uncle Sam hat hanging from the barrel. The logo was slightly changed over the years, with the current version first appearing in the 1970s.

Yeah I just looked it up. I found it interesting where it says "Low Resolution". It goes on to say that the image has to low of a resolution for the yankees to market. I feel like that can't be right.

It's just a secondary logo, for merchandise, watermarks, ect. Yankees don't want to use it on there uniforms, because that's not what they do. They have 2 uniforms.

WOW i have ALOT of Mickey Mantle stuff in fact my whole room is covered with his stuff but i have never seen that pic im going to have to ask my dad about that one.. knowing him he has one signed...

Awesome pic Night Stalker!!!

I've got a ton of Mantle stuff as well. A lot of limited edition things.

Archived