Adam Dunn signs with the Nationals

Morrissey

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/02/sources_nats_sign_adam_dunn.html

Sources: Nats Sign Adam Dunn

The Washington Nationals have agreed to a preliminary deal with 29-year-old free agent Adam Dunn, a signing that would fulfill their offseason-long search for a left-handed power hitter. Two independent sources have told the Post that Dunn will sign a two-year deal, possibly announced as early as tomorrow.

Adam Dunn is a left handed Dave Kingman, reincarnate. Just a little less surly.

Dave Kingman had a career .302 on-base percentage. Adam Dunn's is .381.

Dunn has also hit 40 homers for five straight seasons. Kingman hit 40+ once.

Adam Dunn is ridiculously better, and is one of the most under-rated players in baseball. His defense sucks horribly, that's about his only drawback.

Adam Dunn is ridiculously better, and is one of the most under-rated players in baseball. His defense sucks horribly, that's about his only drawback.

Didnt he hit sub .200 with RISP? He's a glorified Jack Cust.

Adam Dunn is not a guy I'd like on my team.

Didnt he hit sub .200 with RISP? He's a glorified Jack Cust.

Adam Dunn is not a guy I'd like on my team.

No, he hit .241, five points higher than his season average. With a .418 OBP.

With two outs, he dipped down to .208, but his OBP was .468, which is ****ing insane.

No, he hit .241, five points higher than his season average. With a .418 OBP.

With two outs, he dipped down to .208, but his OBP was .468, which is ****ing insane.

I guess which is why he signed on with the worst team in baseball.

Guys like Giambi and Dunn are always going to look decent on paper, I just wouldnt want him on my team...especially after going through 8 years of Jason.

The hgih strike out rates are just rally killers. You pay your clean up batter to drive in runs, not to pass the baton to a supposed inferior hitter and walk or K.

As Matt stated, his RISP is terrible. He fails to move runners up.

They played in different eras, so the power numbers can not be directly compared.

You are right, he will take a walk, but beyond that and occasional power, he does not give a lot to a winning club.

I guess which is why he signed on with the worst team in baseball.

Guys like Giambi and Dunn are always going to look decent on paper, I just wouldnt want him on my team...especially after going through 8 years of Jason.

The hgih strike out rates are just rally killers. You pay your clean up batter to drive in runs, not to pass the baton to a supposed inferior hitter and walk or K.

You know what a rally killer really is? Guys that "move runners over" all the time by putting the ball on the ground, right to the second baseman for a 4-6-3.

Adam Dunn is an ideal #2 hitter. Managers are idiots. Dunn batting cleanup is not Dunn's fault.

You know what a rally killer really is? Guys that "move runners over" all the time by putting the ball on the ground, right to the second baseman for a 4-6-3.

Adam Dunn is an ideal #2 hitter. Managers are idiots. Dunn batting cleanup is not Dunn's fault.

Could he at least move a runner to 3rd with no outs and a runner on 2nd, rather than striking out?

There are productive outs, and Dunn does not make them.

Could he at least move a runner to 3rd with no outs and a runner on 2nd, rather than striking out?

There are productive outs, and Dunn does not make them.

Yes, but he makes less outs overall than most players. Keep your productive outs. I'll take a guy that gets on base almost 40% of the time. A productive out is nice. No out at all is a lot nicer.

Speaking of when a man is on third, the past two seasons, Dunn has hit .290 and .333 with two outs.

And, with the bases loaded, he has hit .375 in each of the past two seasons.

Yes, but he makes less outs overall than most players. Keep your productive outs. I'll take a guy that gets on base almost 40% of the time. A productive out is nice. No out at all is a lot nicer.

Speaking of when a man is on third, the past two seasons, Dunn has hit .290 and .333 with two outs.

And, with the bases loaded, he has hit .375 in each of the past two seasons.

And lifetime, Dunn is still a .225 RISP guy. Lifetime.

Get him to 2 strikes, and he is a .150 lifetime hitter. Lifetime.

He gets by on having a great nbatting eye, where he has to work ahead on a count.

Once a pitcher get ahead of him, he is a give up out.

Different strokes for different folks, I know. But I would leave him.

And lifetime, Dunn is still a .225 RISP guy. Lifetime.

Get him to 2 strikes, and he is a .150 lifetime hitter. Lifetime.

He gets by on having a great nbatting eye, where he has to work ahead on a count.

Once a pitcher get ahead of him, he is a give up out.

Different strokes for different folks, I know. But I would leave him.

To me, baseball is a pretty simple game when broken down completely.

The object of the game is to "not make outs", and Adam Dunn is great at that. So, I'd take him on my team anyday. I just wouldn't bat him cleanup.

His BA numbers are low because walks don't count towards BA. You guys are seriously complaining that he gets on base close to 50% of the time when there are 2 outs and RISP? A hitter like him isn't going to get good pitches with RISP.

A home run every 13 AB and a near .400 OBP over the last 5 years from a guy that stays healthy? I'll take it. You would be crazy not to.

I agree with the #2 hitter idea too. Perfect for a team with a speedy leadoff guy.

Archived