Jeter to hit lead-off? Girardi toying with idea.

LockeJET

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4017445

TAMPA, Fla. -- High-priced left-hander CC Sabathia will start both the regular season and home opener for the New York Yankees.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Thursday that Sabathia will pitch the season opener at Baltimore on April 6, and will also throw the first regular-season pitch at the new Yankee Stadium 10 days later against Cleveland.

Sabathia agreed to a $161 million, seven-year contract with New York in December after leaving Milwaukee as a free agent.

Girardi is also "toying" with the idea of flip-flopping leadoff hitter Johnny Damon and No. 2 hitter Derek Jeter in the batting order. The manager plans to have Jeter hit first and Damon second on a regular basis during the remaining spring training games.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4017445

TAMPA, Fla. -- High-priced left-hander CC Sabathia will start both the regular season and home opener for the New York Yankees.

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Thursday that Sabathia will pitch the season opener at Baltimore on April 6, and will also throw the first regular-season pitch at the new Yankee Stadium 10 days later against Cleveland.

Sabathia agreed to a $161 million, seven-year contract with New York in December after leaving Milwaukee as a free agent.

Girardi is also "toying" with the idea of flip-flopping leadoff hitter Johnny Damon and No. 2 hitter Derek Jeter in the batting order. The manager plans to have Jeter hit first and Damon second on a regular basis during the remaining spring training games.

Yeah I read that. Not a bad idea considering his new habit of hitting into double plays.

I think only from the standpoint that Damon is a left handed hitter. That said, Jetes tends to hit to the right side of the field anyway.

I think Jeter actually has his best career numbers batting leadoff anyway.

It's worth a look. I just think you want to keep Johnny's SB threat at the top.

I would love to see Gardner become effective enough to leadoff.

Still if you put him at the bottom of the order that's a nice little wrap right there, Gardner, Jeter, Damon.

I think Johnny is just very good at slapping hits and keeping a rally going, and it's not like Jeter can't steal. He's not blazing fast but I think you can move runners and he can score from second with a good base hit. No hurt in trying. Damon is still up there.

Last year he was down though. I also think Johnny walks some more so maybe it'll force pitchers to throw him some better balls to hit rather then putting him on. I seriously think they're interchangable players and if anything can spark "chemistry" or whatever better for the yanks.

I like it, Damon has more power, fits in the 2 hole. This also gives the Yankees the option of batting A-Rod 3rd and Tex 4th.

Jeter SS ®

Damon LF (L)

Rodriguez 3B ®

Teixeira 1B (S)

Matsui DH (L)

Posada C (S)

Cano 2B (L)

Swisher RF (S) or Nady ®

Gardner CF (L)

I like it, Damon has more power, fits in the 2 hole. This also gives the Yankees the option of batting A-Rod 3rd and Tex 4th.

Jeter SS ®

Damon LF (L)

Rodriguez 3B ®

Teixeira 1B (S)

Matsui DH (L)

Posada C (S)

Cano 2B (L)

Swisher RF (S)

Gardner CF ®

It gives our top 4 a nice flexibility IMO.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4033580

TAMPA, Fla. -- The New York Yankees plan to have Derek Jeter start the regular season as the leadoff hitter.

Manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday that as of right now, the lineup for Monday's season opener at Baltimore will have Jeter hitting first and Johnny Damon second.

Girardi flip-flopped Damon, the former No. 1 hitter, and Jeter for the first time on March 26. The manager had liked what he saw earlier in spring training when Damon batted second so catcher Jorge Posada, coming back from right shoulder surgery, could hit first and get extra at-bats.

Jeter is a career .315 hitter batting first. The last time Damon hit second with more than 50 at-bats came in 2002.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/news/story?id=4033580

TAMPA, Fla. -- The New York Yankees plan to have Derek Jeter start the regular season as the leadoff hitter.

Manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday that as of right now, the lineup for Monday's season opener at Baltimore will have Jeter hitting first and Johnny Damon second.

Girardi flip-flopped Damon, the former No. 1 hitter, and Jeter for the first time on March 26. The manager had liked what he saw earlier in spring training when Damon batted second so catcher Jorge Posada, coming back from right shoulder surgery, could hit first and get extra at-bats.

Jeter is a career .315 hitter batting first. The last time Damon hit second with more than 50 at-bats came in 2002.

Good stuff.

Figured since he was leading off the last week and half.

Archived