TE dept. : Kareem Brown Switching to TE ? ? ?

kelly

Kareem Brown Switching to TE ?

Posted on April 10th, 2009 - by Bassett

Lisa Zimmerman finds a very interesting story about backup DL Kareem Brown and his potential flip to Tight End for the Jets in 2009.[Kareem Brown] is working with both units (double the meetings, double the fun) and is already down about 25 pounds from his weight of 290 last year. Brown is 6′4″ tall and played at 315lbs in college. When I talked with him today he was about to go off and have a salad for lunch.

Given the propensity for Brian Schottenheimer to run two and three tight-end sets - currently in vogue throughout the league - the Jets are clearly wanting at this position. And, given the upcoming three-day mini-camp next week, the team needed bodies in this position

I don't think the Jets were carrying Kareem Brown as a 3-4 end as much as for a big body with speed for special teams. Brown got most of his reps on specials. If he is 25 lbs lighter and quicker and can get reps at TE, it helps justify a roster spot for him to play on special teams.

I would really love it if we tapped into that Ravens resource pool again and signed

Daniel Wilcox just to put this TE's talk to rest and move on.

We should carry at least 3 tight ends, shouldn't we? Baker and Franks are gone so we only have 1 on the roster. I think we run a 3 TE set sometimes. Plus there are situations where you have a 2 TE set and you might prefer 2 blocking TEs.

Are you comfortable with Keller, Wilcox, and a converted Kareem Brown?

Archived