Interesting article on new NYY stadium

Vicious89x

http://deadspin.com/5218786/on-juiced-balls-and-homer+happy-yankee-stadium

On Juiced Balls and Homer-Happy Yankee Stadium

By Tommy Craggs, 3:10 PM on Sun Apr 19 2009, 11,492 views (Edit post, Set to draft, Slurp) Copy this whole post to another site

Slurp cancel

progressIndicator_roller.gif

select site advertising consumerist deadspin defamer fleshbot gay fleshbot gawker gizmodo idolator io9 jalopnik jezebel kotaku lifehacker valleywag artists gawkershop

large_newscore_01.JPGEarlier today, Ryan Garko sent an A.J. Burnett fastball in the direction of Bear Mountain, the 19th homer in four games at the giant ATM known as Yankee Stadium. Is this "Coors Field East"?

Now, if Buster Olney is fretting about this

http://deadspin.com/5218786/on-juiced-balls-and-homer+happy-yankee-stadium

On Juiced Balls and Homer-Happy Yankee Stadium

By Tommy Craggs, 3:10 PM on Sun Apr 19 2009, 11,492 views (Edit post, Set to draft, Slurp) Copy this whole post to another site

Slurp cancel

progressIndicator_roller.gif

select site advertising consumerist deadspin defamer fleshbot gay fleshbot gawker gizmodo idolator io9 jalopnik jezebel kotaku lifehacker valleywag artists gawkershop

large_newscore_01.JPGEarlier today, Ryan Garko sent an A.J. Burnett fastball in the direction of Bear Mountain, the 19th homer in four games at the giant ATM known as Yankee Stadium. Is this "Coors Field East"?

Now, if Buster Olney is fretting about this

It's something that if HR's increase overall throughout the course of the year it may not be a ridiculous theory. As of right now statistics are showing a rise in HR's overall throughout baseball and paired with the new "dimensions" of Yankee stadium and the wind currents it could make this into a band box.

It's something that if HR's increase overall throughout the course of the year it may not be a ridiculous theory. As of right now statistics are showing a rise in HR's overall throughout baseball and paired with the new "dimensions" of Yankee stadium and the wind currents it could make this into a band box.

It is ridiculous to make any assumptions based on 2 weeks of play.

What I have witnessed, and this is on TV, but I have watched many, many, many games on TV, swings that should produce homeruns are, and swings that should not aren't.

Except at Yankee stadium where you say to yourself "That should be a fly ball", yet it carries, carries, carries. That to me suggests currents, and not a ball.

What are HR homeruns total in similar games to last year? That even isn't a good comparison, because you would have to take account of weather and ball parks played in.

The culprit appears to be Yankee Stadium, not a ball.

It is ridiculous to make any assumptions based on 2 weeks of play.

What I have witnessed, and this is on TV, but I have watched many, many, many games on TV, swings that should produce homeruns are, and swings that should not aren't.

Except at Yankee stadium where you say to yourself "That should be a fly ball", yet it carries, carries, carries. That to me suggests currents, and not a ball.

What are HR homeruns total in similar games to last year? That even isn't a good comparison, because you would have to take account of weather and ball parks played in.

The culprit appears to be Yankee Stadium, not a ball.

To you of course, with your clear disdain for anything pinstripes.

The fact of the matter is that the figures are being compared THROUGHOUT baseball. It's an interesting note that if 3 months down the line still holds water cannot be as easily dismissed as you are. I am not disagreeing with you but saying that if the effect is felt throughout baseball then the results in Yankees stadium might be amplified. Some changes will need to be made, that much is clear.

The fact of the matter is that the figures are being compared THROUGHOUT baseball. It's an interesting note that if 3 months down the line still holds water cannot be as easily dismissed as you are. I am not disagreeing with you but saying that if the effect is felt throughout baseball then the results in Yankees stadium might be amplified. Some changes will need to be made, that much is clear.

This has NOTHING to do with how I feel about the Yanks, and more so with a stadium.

Have you watched the balls with the swing associated with the homeruns to Right Field? You think that is normal?

Why haven't balls been flying out of LF with more regularity if the ball is "juiced"?

I have watched other games and not seen the ball flying further on broken bats and bad swings, like I did in the late 80's, when I think the ball really was juiced. That set this whole problem in full spin.

To be fair, the ball Posada hit looked like and easy fly ball, but it is way too early to call the new stadium a bandbox.

I believe that is Scott's point.

How has that 22-4 beat down skewed the Yank numbers? A lot.

As a fan since the late 70s, before the roid era, it seemed like every year you would have a player or two get off to a great start. The news would say they 'are on pace' to break Maris' record only to come up about 20-25 short.

It is too early to jump to conclusions.

This has NOTHING to do with how I feel about the Yanks, and more so with a stadium.

Are you sure? ;)

I believe that is Scott's point.

How has that 22-4 beat down skewed the Yank numbers? A lot.

As a fan since the late 70s, before the roid era, it seemed like every year you would have a player or two get off to a great start. The news would say they 'are on pace' to break Maris' record only to come up about 20-25 short.

It is too early to jump to conclusions.

Are you sure? ;)

Well, to be honest, if the Yanks were hitting them I would be screaming "Drug test, Drug test!", based on their proclivity to juice ;)

Think about it folks-

Home runs were at a fifteen year low (based on HR/game) last year, and it was the third year in a row with decline (I stole these stats from a fantasy baseball site).

The reason, I think is fairly obvious to those who kept up with the news.

Now, the long ball certainly has shown to drum up baseball business, particularly after the messy strike of the 90's.

But, given less HRs last year, attendance is at a peak in comparison to recent years. Proving that baseball does not need the HR to be viable.

An even more logical approach is, given the public's awareness, why would baseball put together a project to start inflating HR figures again? It would only cause greater public scrutiny, something the sport does not need. Even Bud Selig is not that dumb.

I can't explain the HRs at Yankee stadium, but I do not see a rabbit in the ball, unless those were only shipped to the Bronx.

Certainly, there have been other periods where the ball could be brought in scrutiny.

I agree with the above posts that point out it's too early to make a determination about whether or not the ball is juiced.

But the 20 homer's in 4 games at the new Stadium is a joke. I agree with Scott that there is probably some sort of wind current that is carrying the ball further. If this trend continues the Yankees need to bring in engineers who can resolve the issue. I'm not sure how they would fix the problem with the currents, but I'm sure that they can come up with something. If not, they're going have to start putting the balls in a humidifier ala Coors Field.

the other option is that the measurements and specs to the new stadium are wrong. when the nationals played a couple seasons at RFK the posted differences were anywhere from 5-20 feet short of the real distances. when the ball wasn't carrying at RFK a couple of players actually measured the fences and found out the truth.

Where you hear this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/04/15/2009-04-15_few_bleacher_creature_comforts.html

Not everything is worse at the new place. The Creatures appreciate the privilege of spending $11 on a beer, now that the ban has been lifted. And the Yankees are trying to do the right thing when it comes to tradition. As a result of Tina Lewis' lobbying, a new plaque for founding father Ali Ramirez is expected to be installed on her bench in time for today's opener.

Ok, so it says it's a new plaque. Even so, they gotta bring Ali over to the 203...

Archived