Ranking The NFL Head Coaches

YJF

This is just my own personal preferences. Just my opinion. Here are Th Head Coaches in The NFL ranked from 1 to 32.

1-Bill Belichick

2-Bill Parcells

3-Joe Gibbs

4-Mike Shanahan

5-Dick Vermeil

6-Andy Reid

7-Mike Holmgren

8-John Gruden

9-Bill Cowher

10-Jeff Fisher

11-John Fox

12-Brian Billick

13-Marty Schottenheimer

14-Tony Dungy

15-Herman Edwards

16-Dennis Green

17-Tom Coughlin

18-Mike Martz

19-Steve Mariucci

20-Mike Sherman

21-Jack Del Rio

22-Marvin Lewis

23-Jim Mora Jr.

24-Mike Tice

25-Norv Turner

26-Dom Capers

27-Jim Hasslett

28-Mike Mularkey

29-Lovie Smith

30-Romeo Crenell

31-Nick Saban

32-Mike Nolan

The last 3 guys have never been head coaches in the pros. I can't rank them higher than guys who have already been head coaches.

Jim Mora Jr as a first year head coach is already very high on my list but the jury is still out.

Jack Del Rio and Marvin Lewis are rising fast.

There are some coaches that I am not big fans of like Capers, Dennis Green etc but I have to give them respect because of longevity.

From 7 on down. You can make the arguments for any of teh coaches being rated higher or lower. This is just my personal opinion.

I know already where all you guys have Herm ranked. 27 to 32.

Pretty good list YJF. I pretty much agree with the whole thing. I would not put BB ahead of Parcells until I see him win with his own staff, jmo.

Why not? Parcells hasn't won anything since Belichick left him. I'd say it's a wash at best.

I know already where all you guys have Herm ranked. 27 to 32.

That's where he belongs, all right, but I'll give you credit, Young Herm Fan - I expected you to put him between Mumbles and Tuna.

You surprised me, pleasantly, even if you still overrate the moron.

Pretty good list YJF. I pretty much agree with the whole thing. I would not put BB ahead of Parcells until I see him win with his own staff, jmo.

I see your point.

Parcells has never won a superbowl without Belichick on his staff.

Belichick has 3 superbowls without Parcells. I think BB is the better head coach. Better tactician. Belichick is The Bill Walsh of defense.

Parcells is a great leader/motivator but his X's and O's are not as good as people think.

Why not? Parcells hasn't won anything since Belichick left him. I'd say it's a wash at best.

And BB hasn't won anything without Romeo. See how stupid that theory is? BB came with a ready made well oiled coaching staff.

I like it YJF, very good, gotta love the fact that you have Herm in the Top 15 as well. :wink:

What can I say? That's how I feel.

There are so many different factors involved in being a good head coach.

There's chemistry. Herm is ranked very high in that.

There's leadership qualities. That's another area where he ranks really high.

There's motivation. That's another area where he is very strong.

Preparing The Team, Passion and Work Ethic. That's another area where he is really strong.

Managing The Game. He's poor in this area. That's why he's not a top tier head coach. He's in the middle of the pack because of this.

Everything else, I'm happy with.

And BB hasn't won anything without Romeo. See how stupid that theory is? BB came with a ready made well oiled coaching staff.

So then seeing that Parcells has already proven he wasn't the reason for his own Super Bowl victories then he is rightfully sucking Belichick's sack. Once Belichick falls without his old staff then we can talk.

So then seeing that Parcells has already proven he wasn't the reason for his own Super Bowl victories then he is rightfully sucking Belichick's sack. Once Belichick falls without his old staff then we can talk.

No once BB wins with his own staff we can talk. You can't coach your players if you are always coaching your coaches. That is why keeping your staff intact is so important.

This is why coaching is a tad bit overrated sometimes. It's important but you need talent to win and some luck.

What do Bill Parcells, John Gruden, Joe Gibbs and Dick Vermeil all have in common?

They all had losing seasons last year.

Just because you have a good head coach. That doesn't mean that you are going to win. You need talent.

Even though, Belichick gets the most out of his players and is one of the greatest head coaches of all time. He has better talent than people actually realize.

I ranked John Fox very high for just a 3rd year head coach. Even though, He's only made the playoffs once in three years.

I just happen to like the way he runs his team. There's more to being a head coach than just X's and O's.

This is why coaching is a tad bit overrated sometimes. It's important but you need talent to win and some luck.

What do Bill Parcells, John Gruden, Joe Gibbs and d!ck Vermeil all have in common?

They all had losing seasons last year.

Just because you have a good head coach. That doesn't mean that you are going to win. You need talent.

Even though, Belichick gets the most out of his players and is one of the greatest head coaches of all time. He has better talent than people actually realize.

I ranked John Fox very high for just a 3rd year head coach. Even though, He's only made the playoffs once in three years.

I just happen to like the way he runs his team. There's more to being a head coach than just X's and O's.

Nice post and I agree. YOu need a nice combination of players, and coaches who know how to motivate and use them in the right situations.

I see your point.

Belichick has 3 superbowls without Parcells. I think BB is the better head coach. Better tactician. Belichick is The Bill Walsh of defense.

Parcells is a great leader/motivator but his X's and O's are not as good as people think.

What you should say is BB never won a Super Bowl

without a Tuna made Staff! Just like Hermie never

got to the playoffs without a Tuna QB and most of

the Tuna Team!! :lol:

Here we go again Savage. We are in full hitchcock mode here with quoting eachother's quotes.

BB's a better head coach than Parcells. Belichick has 5 superbowl rings. Parcells has 2. How come Parcells doesn't win superbowls with his new tuna made staffs but Belichick does.

I love this Tuna made and Tuna Team stuff.

When Parcells went 10 and 6 his first year in Dallas. I didn't say Parcells made it to the playoffs with Campo talent.

You win with the players you win it. Previous coaching staffs do not take credit for the work you do. Every new head coach inherits players from previous staffs or regimes.

How many players on Dallas are Tuna guys? Keyshawn, Vinny and Dedric Ward. I missed the part where Roy Williams, Dat Ngyuen, Larry Allen, Laroi Glover and Flozell Adams were Parcells guys.

This love affair, you guys have with Parcells is laughable. He did a great job while he was here but Parcells is a selfish jerk who tries to take all the credit and leaves every team in a bad spot. He cares more about himself than he does the teams he works for.

That's his legacy as a man and a head coach.

As a head coach, He's one of the greatest of all time. Can't deny it. Herman Edwards is not even in his freaking league but Parcells is a selfish jerk who gets way too much praise and respect from a fan base that he crapped all over.

Hi, my name is Savage, and I hate everything about my "favorite" team.....which makes me wonder why it's my favorite team......

:lol::lol:

So then seeing that Parcells has already proven he wasn't the reason for his own Super Bowl victories then he is rightfully sucking Belichick's sack. Once Belichick falls without his old staff then we can talk.[/quote

He'll have his chance to chang the minds of his doubters

My thinking is he goes back to his Cleveland ways

Here we go again Savage. We are in full hitchcock mode here with quoting eachother's quotes.

BB's a better head coach than Parcells. Belichick has 5 superbowl rings. Parcells has 2. How come Parcells doesn't win superbowls with his new tuna made staffs but Belichick does.

When Parcells went 10 and 6 his first year in Dallas. I didn't say Parcells made it to the playoffs with Campo talent.

You win with the players you win it. Previous coaching staffs do not take credit for the work you do. Every new head coach inherits players from previous staffs or regimes.

How many players on Dallas are Tuna guys? Keyshawn, Vinny and Dedric Ward. I missed the part where Roy Williams, Dat Ngyuen, Larry Allen, Laroi Glover and Flozell Adams were Parcells guys.

This love affair, you guys have with Parcells is laughable. He did a great job while he was here but Parcells is a selfish jerk who tries to take all the credit and leaves every team in a bad spot. He cares more about himself than he does the teams he works for.

That's his legacy as a man and a head coach.

As a head coach, He's one of the greatest of all time. Can't deny it. Herman Edwards is not even in his freaking league but Parcells is a selfish jerk who gets way too much praise and respect from a fan base that he crapped all over.

Parcells just began in Dallas. Why don't you give the guy a chance? It's not like he has been there 4 or 5 years like your boy Hermy. As far as making it to the playoffs with Campo's talent. I would say that is not exactly accurate. I mean Parcells added a couple of players and had players playing much better than they ever did under Campo. What players did not perform under Parcells but performed better under Herm? Last year Parcells did pretty well in my eyes. He got rid of a lot of salary. He got a extra first rounder this year and he found a franchise runningback. Now he has a lot of cap room and picks. Bet your money Dallas will finish in atleast second if not first in that division next year and definitly make the playoffs.

Hi, my name is Savage, and I hate everything about my "favorite" team.....which makes me wonder why it's my favorite team......

I like the Truth Fish!! Something that alot of you

spinner's hate! I'll use the Facts if it's for or

against MY Favorite Team!! Which I have been a Fan

of since before you were born you Quasi Bait eating

never caught a real Fish or saw a Jet Super Bowl live

wanna be intellectual left wing Commie!! Whew!! I need a beer!! :lol::lol:

That's so funny...because it's true

He hates

The Coach

The NFL's leading rusher

Hated the OC

Hates the GM

Thinks the star DE is a wuss

Hates where they play

Hates the TE

Can't stand the new WR

SHould have paid for Fergie, Lamont and KMac

Thinks the QB sucks

I'm not sure, does he like the 90's Green uniforms better too?

That's so funny...because it's true

He hates

The Coach

The NFL's leading rusher

Hated the OC

Hates the GM

Thinks the star DE is a wuss

Hates where they play

Hates the TE

Can't stand the new WR

SHould have paid for Fergie, Lamont and KMac

Thinks the QB sucks

I'm not sure, does he like the 90's Green uniforms better too?

JonE is that the Medication talking or do you make it up as you go along?? Some facts my good fellow!

Never wanted to keep Fergie,Mac and with the Cap

keeping Jordan would have been stupid!Also I was

on Abe's side something you were not! As long as

Coles has 10 piggley Wiggly's that work I'm happy!

I'm in Fla so where they play isn't a Factor with

me..I'm a big Chad fan..The only thing your correct

on is Martin, who I don't hate I just think he's over

paid for what he brings..Tell me, if you only had to

tell the Truth would that make you a Mute??? :lol:

I see your point.

And now lets see if BB can win another one without CW and RC.

Same reason why I got bounced off several Pats message boards.

Why is it that 95% of fans can not accept critical analysis of their own team?

If anybody questions Savage's loyalty as a fan of the Jets, they have absolutely no clue.

One thing about rooting for a team to "just make the playoffs" and a completely another rooting for a team to "win the Super Bowl".

And now lets see if BB can win another one without CW and RC.

To be serious for a second Tex.. I think the Jets

have a excellent chance of dethroning the Pats next

season..When we lose Coaches it's usually a Good

thing..Not so with the Pats..This shakeup in Pat

land may just take it's toll! Plus 3 out of 4 Bowls

has a way of making some players complacent..I don't

think the Pats will be bad by any stretch..But if

Chad's noodle arm comes back Al Dente,we just might

do it!! :wink:

To be serious for a second Tex.. I think the Jets

have a excellent chance of dethroning the Pats next

season..When we lose Coaches it's usually a Good

thing..Not so with the Pats..This shakeup in Pat

land may just take it's toll! Plus 3 out of 4 Bowls

has a way of making some players complacent..I don't

think the Pats will be bad by any stretch..But if

Chad's noodle arm comes back Al Dente,we just might

do it!! :wink:

Believe it or not, I think the best medicine for "complacency" that happened to the Pats was when the Jets won the AFCE in 2002.

BB drilled that home from day one and it led to Super Bowl victories in 38 and 39.

Thank you Mo Lewis and the New York Jets. :wink:

Parcells playoff record without Belichick: 0-2, and one of those losses was to Belichick.

Belichick's playoff record without Parcells: 10-1

I would put BB ahead of Parcells in a heartbeat.

Right.

I once got in an argument over this issue with a Raiders fan. It ended when I pointed out that Parcells in his 1st year as a head coach inherited Lawrence Taylor, Harry Carson, Jim Burt, and Mark Haynes. Not a bad dowry from the immortal Ray Perkins.

Parcells playoff record without Belichick: 0-2, and one of those losses was to Belichick.

Belichick's playoff record without Parcells: 10-1

I would put BB ahead of Parcells in a heartbeat.

And you would be wrong. That's a really dumb stat to close a case with. Very narrow minded and I'm suprised you would use it. The two times Parcells was without BB he was building a staff and team from scratch. The one time BB tried that he was run out of town. Something that has never happened to Parcells.

And you would be wrong. That's a really dumb stat to close a case with. Very narrow minded and I'm suprised you would use it. The two times Parcells was without BB he was building a staff and team from scratch. The one time BB tried that he was run out of town. Something that has never happened to Parcells.

For crying out loud, we have a new spin doctor on the board.

YJF, you have been displaced. :wink:

Uh dude, the time he was beat by Belichick Belichick had been rebuilding a pretty heinous Cleveland Browns team himself.

and Parcells has never been run out of town because he always skips town like a deadbeat dad when child support checks (or the cap hits) are due.

A lot of people try to give Parcells more credit for "doing it in multiple places". I'd be more impressed if he stuck to his guns instead of bouncing around and credit carding teams caps to give himself a window.

Besides that "doing it in multiple places" thing is sort of weak.

2 SB wins with the giants

1 SB loss with the Pats

1 AFCC loss with the Jets

1 playoff loss with the Cowboys

Notice a pattern?

FURTHERMORE on the BB/CW thing....

Belichick has NOTHING to prove. Yet.

If Weis goes on to win a couple national championships with Notre Dame or Crennel wins a superbowl or two with Cleveland it's fair to ask that question, but until something like that happens it's unreasonable to try to make that argument.

We don't question whether Parcells could really win it all without Belichick just because Parcells has never won much of ANYTHING without Belichick--- we question it because Belichick has also shown himself to be a great coach in his own right.

If 5 years from now Crennel is defending a superbowl title and the Patriots have been mired in mediocrity, then yes, it would be fair to ask if BB could win it without Crennel/Weis.

Uh dude, the time he was beat by Belichick Belichick had been rebuilding a pretty heinous Cleveland Browns team himself.

and Parcells has never been run out of town because he always skips town like a deadbeat dad when child support checks (or the cap hits) are due.

A lot of people try to give Parcells more credit for "doing it in multiple places". I'd be more impressed if he stuck to his guns instead of bouncing around and credit carding teams caps to give himself a window.

Besides that "doing it in multiple places" thing is sort of weak.

2 SB wins with the giants

1 SB loss with the Pats

1 AFCC loss with the Jets

1 playoff loss with the Cowboys

Notice a pattern?

Uh dude, so why did BB fail so bad in Cleveland? Maybe because his ready made coaching staff wasn't there? Cleveland was a playoff team 89 while the Pats were thier ussual 5-11.

It was the Jets whom Parcells left in cap hell and I think by the way he is running the Cowboys he has learned his lesson there. BTW, if changing teams and continuing success is so easy why is it almost never done?

Uh dude, so why did BB fail so bad in Cleveland? Maybe because his ready made coaching staff wasn't there? Cleveland was a playoff team 89 while the Pats were thier ussual 5-11.

It was the Jets whom Parcells left in cap hell and I think by the way he is running the Cowboys he has learned his lesson there. BTW, if changing teams and continuing success is so easy why is it almost never done?

1) Belichick wasn't as good a HC back then. He has learned lessons from his mistakes in Cleveland.

2) The Browns lost in their first 3 years as Belichick rebuilt, then went to the playoffs with the NFL's #1 defense and beat Parcells Patriots before losing to the Steelers. The following year they started 3-1.... and then Art Modell announced he was moving the team to Baltimore and the bottom fell out. The team lost 10 of its next 12.

It was an unusual situation to say the least and Belichick may well have had more success had circumstances been slightly different.

1) Belichick wasn't as good a HC back then. He has learned lessons from his mistakes in Cleveland.

2) The Browns lost in their first 3 years as Belichick rebuilt, then went to the playoffs with the NFL's #1 defense and beat Parcells Patriots before losing to the Steelers. The following year they started 3-1.... and then Art Modell announced he was moving the team to Baltimore and the bottom fell out. The team lost 10 of its next 12.

It was an unusual situation to say the least and Belichick may well have had more success had circumstances been slightly different.

Now do you see the challenge in taking over new teams and why it should be held as a higher accomplishment than just winning with the same staff and players?

Archived