Carolina signs Peppers

SouthernJet

Peppers signs $16.7M Panthers tender

Comment Email Print Share

Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Julius Peppers' long stalemate with the Carolina Panthers is over.

The four-time Pro Bowl defensive end signed his one-year, $16.7 million tender under the franchise tag Wednesday, ending the chances that Peppers could hold out at the start of training camp.

Peppers

Peppers said at the end of last season that he wanted to play elsewhere and pleaded with Carolina to allow him to become a free agent. The Panthers still placed the franchise tag on him, limiting his movement.

Peppers refused to attend offseason minicamps and optional workouts, and there were concerns he wouldn't show up for training camp. But by signing the deal, the Panthers likely are assured of his attendance when players report Aug. 2.

"Julius is more than satisfied with the outcome and is looking forward instead of backward," Peppers' agent, Carl Carey, said. "He is motivated. He's prepared and he's ready to play football."

Carey said the Panthers made no promise that they won't place the franchise tag on him again next season. General manager Marty Hurney said signing the tender does not mean they'll now try to trade Peppers.

On top of the $16.7 million in guaranteed money, Peppers could earn another $1.5 million if he makes the Pro Bowl and up to $1 million based on playoff bonuses, giving him one of the highest single-year contracts in NFL history.

Peppers, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2002 draft, had a career-high 14

Looks like Klecko was right. :-P

http://jetnation.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1259694

why u assume peppers will break the bank?

he just doesnt want to play in panthers D system..

Dont be surprised to see him sign a somewhat fair contract with a team that he wants to play for,,

Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod viewpost.gif

Exactly.

The Pats drafted a NT in the second round they hope can perform 75% as well as Wilfork so they can cut him loose after this year, no way they'd break the bank for Peppers.

Originally Posted by SouthernJet

they wont have to, trust me..

Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod viewpost.gif

Peppers wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league.

Stop being naive, this is all about money.

Originally Posted by SouthernJet

i am not naive, i know him. (through son)

he is not all about the money,,he is gonna get millions, he knows that,,3 mill, 5 mill,,its all good,,he wants to be in righ tsystem and be a superstar, which he cant in Panthers system,,

I am not naive, not all players are about the last dime.,,,he knwos he will get big cash wherever, but he will not break the bank if right system,,if panthers insist on keeping him in wrong system, then hell ya, he will make them pay

Being wrong doesn't make one naive. I think that SJ's connection just gave him bad info. It happens. :winking0001:

haha..

Its not over yet..

They may have signed him to trade him..we will see..that was stipulation form some teams,,

Or it could be he ran out of options..

But I do know, via papers down here, is that Panthers have redesigned thier Defense (old D coord gone) and have installed a Peppers friendly D that his agent is saying is making Julius happy..

so I may be wrong/right..but if new D suits him, then he will be happy..he hated old system and was holding out before they changed the scheme..

scheme now changed and is similiar to what he was asking for...so why leave ??? I think thats what eventually happened..The Panthers caved to Juilius wishes..so Max,,I was sorta right ;)

2. Ron Meeks , new D cord.

With only one change to the defensive starting line-up one has to wonder what will be different about the defense in 2009? The difference will have to come from new DC Ron Meeks and his up-tempo defensive scheme. He has to get the defense to buy into his philosophy and get all 11 players on the field flying to the ball. He has to produce schemes that keeps the offense guessing and keep the Panthers from becoming predictable down the stretch as they did last season. The Panthers won't be a team that looks to win scoring fests or come from behind by huge margins so they need a defense that will keep them in the game. This defense has the players to be a top 10 unit if the offense can chew some clock and limits the number of stops the defense has to make on a weekly basis.

There were some indications from his previous statements that he was frustrated with the way he was used, leading to the notion his side advanced that he wanted to be shipped to a team that runs a 3-4 defense, so he could play outside linebacker.

But even without a change of address, his assignments will be different this year.

There will be less dropping into coverage, more pass rushing. And with top pick Everette Brown potentially coming from the other side of a retooled pass rush, there is the opportunity that Peppers will not be the focus of opposing game plans as much as in the past.

The Panthers hope that will quell his desire to get out of town, enough so that he might want to hang around despite previous statements that he would never sign a long-term deal.

haha..

Its not over yet..

They may have signed him to trade him..we will see..that was stipulation form some teams,,

Or it could be he ran out of options..

But I do know, via papers down here, is that Panthers have redesigned thier Defense (old D coord gone) and have installed a Peppers friendly D that his agent is saying is making Julius happy..

so I may be wrong/right..but if new D suits him, then he will be happy..he hated old system and was holding out before they changed the scheme..

scheme now changed and is similiar to what he was asking for...so why leave ??? I think thats what eventually happened..The Panthers caved to Juilius wishes..so Max,,I was sorta right ;)

2. Ron Meeks , new D cord.

With only one change to the defensive starting line-up one has to wonder what will be different about the defense in 2009? The difference will have to come from new DC Ron Meeks and his up-tempo defensive scheme. He has to get the defense to buy into his philosophy and get all 11 players on the field flying to the ball. He has to produce schemes that keeps the offense guessing and keep the Panthers from becoming predictable down the stretch as they did last season. The Panthers won't be a team that looks to win scoring fests or come from behind by huge margins so they need a defense that will keep them in the game. This defense has the players to be a top 10 unit if the offense can chew some clock and limits the number of stops the defense has to make on a weekly basis.

There were some indications from his previous statements that he was frustrated with the way he was used, leading to the notion his side advanced that he wanted to be shipped to a team that runs a 3-4 defense, so he could play outside linebacker.

But even without a change of address, his assignments will be different this year.

There will be less dropping into coverage, more pass rushing. And with top pick Everette Brown potentially coming from the other side of a retooled pass rush, there is the opportunity that Peppers will not be the focus of opposing game plans as much as in the past.

The Panthers hope that will quell his desire to get out of town, enough so that he might want to hang around despite previous statements that he would never sign a long-term deal.

he aint going to pats ...he will be a panther for this year

he aint going to pats ...he will be a panther for this year

Probably looks as if Panthers decided to change D cord and system to plactate him (and after realizing they were wasting his speed)..

They will hope he decided he likes new system and resigns next year..If not, probably adios at that time..

Archived