Draft fans only: Top junior in America?

R44

Trying to make up a list of the best juniors (Not in this NFL draft)--no Reggie Bush or Ahmad Brooks (sophs)...I have the sophs and fresh done in another format.

I realize this list is a bit "sloppy"....but would love some feedback? Suggest a player, who I missed/overlooked? I could use the help--remember just juniors and legit type prospects.

QB

Matt Leinert

Jay Cutler Vanderbilt

Kellen Clemens Oregon

Drew Olson UCLA

Michael Harrington Idaho

Josh Betts

Bruce Gradkowski

Tyler Palko Pitt

Darnell Hackney UAB

Reggie McNeal Texas A&M

RB

DeAngelo Williams

Leon Washington

Wali Lundy

Gerald Riggs Jr.

Andre Hall South Fla.

Selvin Young Texas

Addai LSU

New Mexico DonTrell Moore

Terrence Whitehead Oregon

Brian Leonard Rutgers (FB)

Jerious Norwood Mississippi State

Bryson Sumlin, Jr., Fresno State

WR

Derek Hagan

Martin Nance

Mike Haas Oregon State

T. Wilson Okl

Eric Kimble Eastern Washington

John Madsen Utah top 10 due to size?

Clinton Solomon--Iowa

Matt Shelton ND

James Banks Tennessee????

Demetrius Williams Oregon

Troy Bergeron (Georgia Force--AFL)

TE

Mercedes Lewis

Matt Herrian

Troy Bienemann

TE David Thomas Texas

Anthony Fasano Notre Dame

Tim Day Oregon

Cooper Wallace Auburn

Byrd USC

David Jones LSU

Clark Harris Rutgers

OL

Eric Winston

D'Brickshaw

Whitworth -LSU

Jon Scott Texas

Daryn Colledge Boise State

Jeremy Trueblood --BC

McNeil--Auburn

Adam Stenavich Michigan

Zach Streif

Winston Justice USC

Jamie Hightower Texas A&M

Davin Joseph (G)

Mark Setterstrom**1st team B10

Greg Elsinger **1st team B10

Degory Florida

Jean Gilles (og)

Matt Lentz Michigan (OG)

Donavan Riaola (oc)

DE

Kiwi--Boston College

Loren Howard North'w

eRIC Henderson gTECH

Frostee Rucker USC

Tamba Hali PennState

Mike Mendenhall Temple

Brady Forsmark of Weber State

Brennan Schmidt Virginia

Parys Haralson Tenn (2nd round NFL projection as junior--didn't come out)

DT

Rod Wright Texas

Gabe Watson Michigan

Patrick Massey Michigan (DT/DE)

D.Dovarcek

C.Anderson --Georgia

Jessie Mahelona

Orein Harris

LeKevin Smith

Kyle Williams LSU

Claude Wroten LSU

LB

Chad Greenway

Spencer Havner ** (ILB)

A.J Hawk

Omar Gaither

Pierre Woods

D'Quell Jackson**

Will Derting

B.Carpenter Ohio State

Kevin Simon Tennessee

Aaron Harris Texas

Tim McGarigle N'west**

Ray Henderson Boston College

Manny Lawson North Carolina State (olb/DE)

Nick Reid Kansas OLB or MLB?

Abdul Hodge Iowa**

DeMeco Ryans OLB

Roger McIntosh olb miami

**Denotes ILB

CB

Jimmy Williams

Will Blackmon

Mike Huff (S)

Kelly Jennings Miami (Fl.)

Darrell Hunter Miami (OH)

Alan Zemaitis

Cedric Griffin CB

Ukee Dozier cb Miinestoa 1st team Big10

Bernard Lay Pitt 2ND team BigE

Chijioke Onyenegecha Oklahoma

Safety

Jason Allen

Jaxson Appell

Greg Threat Miami

Jerrad Page (UCLA)

Nate Salley

Mike Lorello West Virginia

Pat Watkins, Jr., FSU

Riggins. Are you talking about juniors from last season or players that are going to be juniors this upcoming college season?

Your list is extremely strong.

I could be wrong here because I think he redshirted but QB-Vince Young from Texas might be the first pick in the draft when he comes out. I think he's going to be a junior next year. I should know this. Not exactly sure right now.

At 6'5 220 with his amazing physical tools. He's going to get drafted high. He should stay in school and continue to work on his passing game but this kid could be a franchise Michael Vick type player.

Might be the best player in college football next season.

I could be wrong here because I think he redshirted but QB-Vince Young from Texas might be the first pick in the draft when he comes out. I think he's going to be a junior next year. I should know this. Not exactly sure right now.

You are correct YJF.

Young red-shirted his freshman year in 2002.

He will be a junior next season.

His performance against Michigan in the Rose Bowl was utterly amazing.

To be a top 5 pick he needs to improve his throwing.

YJF, only juniors next season, Vincent Young is a sophmore.

Want to seperate this by class--so we don't get into speculation of who's coming out and who's not, but he's now at the top of my sophmore group...

Leake is also a soph, Bit...Have the sophmore and freshman list done--did it in December...

Formatted that differently--1st and 2nd team All-Soph (and fresh), with honarable mentions...

Basically, who are the best juniors that stayed in school..

Linebackers, O-Tackles, Defensive backs and TE's look unbelievable--what a LB and OT class :shock:

TS, if Leinert leaves, this group will be as bad as 1996--Hoying, Jeff Lewis and Tony Banks at the top...By the way, I tipped off the Pro scout at another site about Leinert jumping (I think he wants to)--couple days after I found it on a pay site :o

2 best "young QB's" in America are freshman Brian Brohm of Louisville and Eric Ainge of Tenn--will be #1 overall picks types.

How crazy is that? Knowing San Fran's luck, they'll draft Aaron Rodgers with the 1st pick in Aril and then get the #1 supplemental pick and Leinart will be staring them in the face.

What the hell happened to QB's? Are they all pitching in the minors?

You are correct YJF.

Young red-shirted his freshman year in 2002.

He will be a junior next season.

His performance against Michigan in the Rose Bowl was utterly amazing.

To be a top 5 pick he needs to improve his throwing.

I agree. Young is going to be the best player in college football next year. He's more like Steve McNair than he is Mike Vick because Young is a big kid man. He's 220 pounds.

The McNair comparison is a good one because Steve McNair is actually his mentor.

The arm strength is there for Young. He needs to improve his accuracy. Like McNair, He could use a year as a backup in the pros to refine his game. He just needs to work on his accuracy.

R44

You continue to amaze- I could not even think of starting a project like this and you have it all covered. Since I started this year following Boston College because of my nephew going to school there you have all their players too!

Ryan Hart QB from Rutgers regressed this year otherwise I would say he had a chance to be on that list.

Not to hijack the thread but, does anyone want to bet that Leinart gets tired of the USC chippies and goes into the supllemental?

um... ill bet against that! :lol:

hey R44 i assume the Jerry "Ruud" profile is good to go up as posted on that other thread?

Vince Young couldn't hit the side of the barn from 10 yards away. Chris Leak is by far the better QB.

I disagree with that. Young can throw a football 70 yards down the field. He can reach the barn from anywhere. But you are right in that,He might not hit the barn right now.

Leak is a failure. He has not lived up to expectations. He should be better next year and he does have good tools. But he's not the prospect that Young is. Young dominated that rose bowl and took over the game and he's still learning. He's only going to get better.

What the hell happened to QB's? Are they all pitching in the minors?

Pretty true TS, either that or they play 3B...The Chicago White Sox, alone, have several on their major/minor league rosters...

Wait till they see a AAA curve ball (not to mention MLB), they'll come crawling back to the NFL :twisted:

faba, thanks. BC should have a real good team next season. Selfishly, I should be glad because I'm a UConn fan, but I hate to them leave...

Watch out for Louisville in the Big East, Brian Brohm is the real deal--total prodigy at QB....Could be a "franchise QB"...He's the son a pro wrestler (fake one) his much older brother played in the NFL/XFL....

Him and Erik Ainge are the "next ones" both sophs next season...

TS, any juniors Syracuse had that were worthy? May Gregory? Maybe the RB?

Bit it is, but do want to add the "comments" Jerry did on the other 15 ILB's...If so, I'll take 5 minutes and color code them for posting?

Up to you, you can post it straight up.

Bit it is, but do want to add the "comments" Jerry did on the other 15 ILB's...If so, I'll take 5 minutes and color code them for posting?

Up to you, you can post it straight up.

Hmm - maybe have two pages - 1 a Ruud Spotlight and the other a ILB positional review?

if you want to just PM me i can handle colors on my side - Dreamweaver makes it easier to do than hand coding - you really need to start using this tool...

Your all set Bit...Sent it via PM...

Anyone else have any ideas? On top Juniors not leaving for the NFL?

Arsenal, where are you? I know you signed up at JN....maybe you can help :twisted:

Your all set Bit...Sent it via PM...

Anyone else have any ideas? On top Juniors not leaving for the NFL?

Arsenal, where are you? I know you signed up at JN....maybe you can help :twisted:

Rigs, you're looking for guys who WILL be juniors in the Fall of 05? Or you want Juniors NOW who will be seniors in Fall '05?

Sorry TS, players that are juniors now---but will be seniors when the next season kicks off.

Leinart; DeAngelo Williams, D'Brickshaw, ect...

Looking for names...Got any at the Cuse' who could be at the next Combine?

Sorry TS, players that are juniors now---but will be seniors when the next season kicks off.

Leinart; DeAngelo Williams, D'Brickshaw, ect...

Looking for names...Got any at the Cuse' who could be at the next Combine?

It's kind of bleak, Rigs. It was almost three years ago that Pasqualoni started giving up going after top players and started scheduling the Merchant Marine Academy instead, basically turning Syracuse into a Division Ib school. The guys who might attract attention with a strong showing under Greg Robinson could be a couple of LB's and some O-linemen, but they'll have to REALLY flash to get themselves to Indy. Here's a few of those who have a chance, anyway:

OG/OT Steve Franklin: 6'5" 330~ Not extremely athletic, but a road-grader.

OG/OT Jason Greene: 6'6" 300 (290)~ More athletic than Franklin, but still looks skinny to me.

LB Kellen Pruitt: 6'4" 226~ Athletic type. Does alot of little things. I don't know what he'll run in the 40, but he plays fast. Injury history.

RB Damien Rhodes: 6' 220~ I believe he still has a redshirt year, but this is a kid who was brought in with a ton of hype. Good speed and hands, but terrible field vision and isn't all that heady. They ran him on sweeps all the time. When he breaks it, he's gone, but he rarely breaks it. Better than Dee Brown, not as agood as Walter Reyes.

FS Anthony Smith~ Makes a pick every now and then. Nothing special. If Robinson uses him right, he could be a player. Might be better at SS.

DE James Wyche: 6'6" 270~ Probably the most "pro" looking athlete on the team. Wyche replaced Freeney, but doesn't have Freeney's speed. IMO, he could be a first day pick if he has a big year.

And my man Steve Gregory. I think his future is at CB, but Robinson hasn't said anything about him moving back from wideout. I still think this dude can be a good nickel corner for someone in the NFL.

Thanks a million TS--can't say that enough. Wish there were 50 more posters like you, but all different teams.

So, would you say Wyche is the best bet to appear in a top 10 among his position?

Looks like the others are "non prospects".

I'll give them a closer look, but it does look like the Cuse is in big time for next season... :o

Robinson is Pete Carroll's best friend, so the Syracuse folks are assuming he's another Carroll--Can't be worse than what they had.

Thanks a million TS--can't say that enough. Wish there were 50 more posters like you, but all different teams.

So, would you say Wyche is the best bet to appear in a top 10 among his position?

Looks like the others are "non prospects".

I'll give them a closer look, but it does look like the Cuse is in big time for next season... :o

Robinson is Pete Carroll's best friend, so the Syracuse folks are assuming he's another Carroll--Can't be worse than what they had.

Those other dudes I put up there are all guys that I think Robinson can use if he gets creative. I'm talking, to get drafted at all those guys, to a man, will have to really have kick-ass seasons. Rhodes (RB) and Pruitt (OLB) in particular have a chance to shine, and the linemen, simply because of their size and the stats that the backs will put up running on that carpet at the Carrier Dome, will get some attention I believe. It all depends on Robinson being able to make lemonade out of lemons.

Rhodes, in particular, has a chance to have a huge statistical season. SU has nothing resembling a QB, so the running attack is all they're going to have, especially if Robinson ditches the option.

Wyche can be a solid pro, I believe. He's a good athlete for his size, and I wouldn't be surprised if he runs a 4.8/40 next March. SU didn't release 40 times at ALL to the public, so it's tough to tell. I liked Wyche, though, from the first time I laid eyes on him. He just has an extra gear. He won't get a ton of sacks next year, as he gets no DT support, but he'll be effective, IMO. I see him as a 3rd rounder if he runs well.

As for Robinson, the general consensus is that people are just happy that Pasqualoni is done. I hated the hire, myself. At the time he was brought in, there were still some area athletes that were undecided, and I thought that if SU went out and got a big-name coach to come in here, they may have scored some hotshot recruits.

Greg Paulus, who is going to Duke to play basketball (huge mistake, IMO), suspiciously didn't sign his LOI after Pasqualoni got the axe. Paulus is the 2nd ranked QB prospect in the country. He had said he wanted to get away from home, but in central NY, he is like God. IMO, if the Cuse went out and got Rick Neiheisel and sent him into Paulus' living room right away, SU could have scored a top-QB and a part time PG. Very few QB recruits are able to say no to Neuheisel.

Anyway, Robinson is at SU, and, like I said, the best thing about him is that he's not Pasqualoni.

YJF,

Young is not a very good throwing QB, but the boy can run. Will that carry-over to make him a successful NFL QB is yet to be determined.

Since I watch a lot of him, he just isn't very accurate. I've never seen a QB make so many bad, short passes. The only reason why his numbers were strong his freshman year was because he had Williams, Thomas and Sloan to throw to, and he would just throw it up to them and they'd come down with it. With the weaker receiving corps, he couldn't do sht in the air.

The only reason their offense became successful is because the boy can run. Different than Vick in that Vick doesn't deceive you with his speed: it's there. Young doesn't even look like he's moving because he has long strides, yet he keeps gaining on people.

If Young is going to be a top QB out of the draft, he needs to become a formidable passer at least. He needs to at least be able to hit the open receiver with an occasional great throw. I can maybe one or two throws last season that I sat there and said that was a very good pass. Most of the time hte guys were wide open that he hit.

YJF,

Young is not a very good throwing QB, but the boy can run. Will that carry-over to make him a successful NFL QB is yet to be determined.

Since I watch a lot of him, he just isn't very accurate. I've never seen a QB make so many bad, short passes. The only reason why his numbers were strong his freshman year was because he had Williams, Thomas and Sloan to throw to, and he would just throw it up to them and they'd come down with it. With the weaker receiving corps, he couldn't do sht in the air.

The only reason their offense became successful is because the boy can run. Different than Vick in that Vick doesn't deceive you with his speed: it's there. Young doesn't even look like he's moving because he has long strides, yet he keeps gaining on people.

If Young is going to be a top QB out of the draft, he needs to become a formidable passer at least. He needs to at least be able to hit the open receiver with an occasional great throw. I can maybe one or two throws last season that I sat there and said that was a very good pass. Most of the time hte guys were wide open that he hit.

I've seen wideouts throw better passes in short spaces than Young does. To me, he's not even a QB prospect. He has mechanical flaws that are almost so far from being fixable that he might be better off playing in Canada for a few years.

Greg Paulus, who is going to Duke to play basketball (huge mistake, IMO), suspiciously didn't sign his LOI after Pasqualoni got the axe. Paulus is the 2nd ranked QB prospect in the country.

TS, I didn't know Paulus played B-Ball....A couple months ago when I saw he committed to Duke, I thought it was football and this is how I looked :shock:

He looks kind of small to be a NBA prospect, but if he turns into another Chris Burgess or Erik Meeks and rides the bench--The Duke football team is always there for him...

Thanks a ton for the info, you're the best. I'll think about Wyche and Gregory the most, but if it's a top 10 cut-off, then it could be though...

Brody, did I miss anyone at Texas? Feedback on the players I listed?

Shadow19, did I miss anyone at Michigan? Feedback on the players I listed?

Huskeralk, did I miss anyone at Nebrasaka? Feedback on the players I listed?

YJF,

All good points by you. Can't argue. I apologize to Riggins for turning his thread into a YJF loves Vince Young thread when Riggins did alot of work putting together a great list. Sorry brother.

Brody, Vince Young is just that. Young. He's only played two years of college football. He didn't start until late in The 2003 season.

Thus far, He's only completed 59 percent of his passes. For 14 yards a clip but he's still gotta along way to go to be a complete QB.

But physically, There is no denying his talents. 6'5 220 with a tremendous arm and he's a great athlete. He runs players over and he runs around and away from them.

I think if he keeps his head on straight and keeps working and improves the way, he did from 2003 to 2004. Young can be a big time QB. He took over that Rose Bowl in one of the greatest big game performances, I have ever seen in my life.

I think he's like Steve McNair. McNair was a running QB with a tremendous arm coming out of Alcorn State. But his passing skills were very raw. He was picked high in the first round but he sat for two seasons as a backup.

That's the same thing that could happen with Young.

TS, I didn't know Paulus played B-Ball....A couple months ago when I saw he committed to Duke, I thought it was football and this is how I looked :shock:

He looks kind of small to be a NBA prospect, but if he turns into another Chris Burgess or Erik Meeks and rides the bench--The Duke football team is always there for him...

Rigs, it was actually quite amusing how it worked out. He's a highly recruited PG and QB, but his dream was to play for Kryzcewski, so he chose basketball. Anyway, he comes out and dominates his senior year in football--just Elway-esque numbers, and all of a sudden he starts getting hounded for picking basketball. People start comparing him to Steve Wojchekowski, the former mighty-mite Duke PG who never even got a sniff of the pros. So the local paper does a piece on him and Tom Lemming (I believe it was him) the top high school talent guy, is quoted as saying that he thinks "it's a shame" that he chose basketball, inmplying that he has HUGE pro potential in football and VERY limited pro basketball potential. Paulus, during LOI week, doesn't sign, and rumors started flying that he was going to back out of his Duke verbal. Word is that Kryzchewski wanted Lemming DEAD for putting ideas into Paulus' head about playing football. It was classic stuff. Paulus, to his credit, seems like a good kid, but his dad has a few fishy quotes out there that lead you to believe he's in his son's ear desperately trying to make him an NFLer.

Archived