Need help with driving directions: NJ to CT

LoneStarLady

I'm coming back to the northeast tomorrow and need some help with driving directions.

Just so you know, I drove around NYC and NJ quite a bit when I lived in Boston -- had to go to NJ for work a lot, so drove down from Beantown (84, Sawmill, Tappan Zee) and also from LaGuardia (Triboro, GWB). I also grew up in CT so am familiar with that. It's been a while though so I need some suggestions.

My problem: I have to drive from Jersey City (near the Newport Centre Mall) to central CT on Thursday around 3:30-4:00. I know there will be a ton of traffic but I'm not sure if there's construction or anything that would make one route worse than another.

Google gives:

1) West/12th/Henry Hudson -- Cross Bronx -- 95

2) West/12th/Henry Hudson -- Saw Mill -- Hutchinson -- Merritt

3) West/12th/Henry Hudson -- Saw Mill -- Hutchinson -- 684 -- 84

Another option:

4) 95 -- Palisades -- 287/Tappan Zee -- 684 -- 84

Anyone have any suggestions on which route (or another one) would be best for that time of day on Thursday?

Thanks so much!

this isn't gonna be real helpful but there aren't any "good" options that time... u are trying to get from 1 side of the biggest city in America to the other... i'd get on the road as early as possible, go for the cross bronx and hope for the best.

Thanks. I know it's going to be a pain in the a$$.

I hate I-95. It really sucks around there.

Someone told me that Saw Mill gets flooded so if it's raining, avoid it. One time years ago, they were doing construction on 287 around TZ Bridge. I just wondered if there were any other weird things happening on any of those roads.

I'm coming back to the northeast tomorrow and need some help with driving directions.

Just so you know, I drove around NYC and NJ quite a bit when I lived in Boston -- had to go to NJ for work a lot, so drove down from Beantown (84, Sawmill, Tappan Zee) and also from LaGuardia (Triboro, GWB). I also grew up in CT so am familiar with that. It's been a while though so I need some suggestions.

My problem: I have to drive from Jersey City (near the Newport Centre Mall) to central CT on Thursday around 3:30-4:00. I know there will be a ton of traffic but I'm not sure if there's construction or anything that would make one route worse than another.

Google gives:

1) West/12th/Henry Hudson -- Cross Bronx -- 95

2) West/12th/Henry Hudson -- Saw Mill -- Hutchinson -- Merritt

Another option:

4) 95 -- Palisades -- 287/Tappan Zee -- 684 -- 84

Anyone have any suggestions on which route (or another one) would be best for that time of day on Thursday?

Thanks so much!

here is what I would do;

that's a brutal trip no matter how you slice it. this way is more miles, but easier on the brain because you won't be staring at brake lights the whole trip

I drive 684/84 a lot, and there has been some construction, but it is only on 84 westbound from 684 so you should be OK

here is what I would do;

that's a brutal trip no matter how you slice it. this way is more miles, but easier on the brain because you won't be staring at brake lights the whole trip

I drive 684/84 a lot, and there has been some construction, but it is only on 84 westbound from 684 so you should be OK

Thanks, Larz. I was thinking of this route, though I've never been on the Hutchinson. Not sure what it's like.

84 is a nightmare!!!! if you need to go anywhere near waterbury .. it will be awful

i always do tappen zee straight to the hutch..to merritt.

i hope your trip is for fun.

Thanks!

84 around Waterbury can be tough, and I do have to go that way. Trying to get to Meriden to see my mother.

As I just said in previous post, not sure what Hutch is like. Is it similar to Saw Mill & Merritt?

First part of trip is business - meeting in NYC Thursday morning. So that's not fun. Will be good to see some family though. Miss them down here in TX.

Archived